mtbr member
    Apr 2004

XX1 Grip Shift Rattle

Anyone have the XX1 GS shifter with a bad case of the rattles? I finally got my new bike set-up, and after tightening down the 3mm on the shifter, the plastic housing that wraps most of the way around the shifter body (that has the XX1 label) is basically loose and rattles quite a lot. I tried loosening it back up, pulling the locking collar off, then putting it back on trying to hug it up against the shifter. Maybe helped a little, but it still rattles. Admittedly, this is all in-garage, and I haven't been on the trail yet to see if I notice it there. Will be doing that tonight. Just seems pretty cheap feeling for a part that was anything but!

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Nobody else out there? Anyone with 10spd XX or X0 GS have this problem? I read a GS review from a while back and it was mentioned. I rode a couple nights ago and it was very noticeable on the trail. Shifting was great, but the rattle is not going to work for me. Now to decide whether to take it off and have LBS contact SRAM about it, or try a DYI fix. I thought about squeezing an o-ring between the shifter body and the locking collar and see if that held the cover in place.

mtbr member
    There's some talk about it on page 2 of this thread

More SRAM 10s GripShift Info!

mtbr member

Re: XX1 Grip Shift Rattle

Push the lock ring on as far and hard as you can and tighten it down. This is what I do when I get the rattle.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Thanks. Tried that and it helped a little. Next I will try a small o-ring between the lock-ring and shifter body. See if that helps enough.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    I just installed XX! Grip Shift and there is a surprising amount of rattle on mine as well. Anxious to hear of any good fixes...

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Haven't tried the o-ring yet. Still rattles, but also still shifts, and from reading other threads on the total failure of the XX1 GS, maybe I should count my blessings...

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Hi Guys, on mine the rattle is the carbon fiber cover over the place where the sfiter cable goes. The entire gripshift is held together by compressing on your handle bar. Tighten the inside bolt and then push in the lock on grip towards the inside then tighten the lock on grip bolt this might help.

BTW, my grip shift came apart, exploded the srping and was decomissioned before I could even ride it. Spring flung on the driveway. 2-1/2 hours and no fix. I turned it in and I heard gripshift is sending me a trigger shifter for temp use and a new gripshit is due out next month that elleviates this problem. My brand new bike is sitting. I was looking at another thread and tons of people are having trouble with thier gripshift so SRAM is engineering a fix. If I have any more issues I will switch to triger.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Hadn't tried that direction. I loosened the inner collar, then pressed it as firmly as I could against the shifter body while tightening it. That did help a little, but only a little. My other thought was to try a small o-ring between the collar and shifter and see if that helped even more, but haven't gotten around to it yet.

mtbr member
    I had the rattle, before reading this thread I did basically what has been discussed to help reduce the rattle which helped. Gives me the impression that SRAM really hasn't done all their homework on the grip shifter. After only a couple rides, I've ordered a XX1 trigger shifter. Between the grip being too long and the reach adjust knob on my Avid lever being in the way, I've decided to abandon the grip shifter and go with the tried and true trigger.

mtbr member
    Jun 2013
    I put a double sided tape without peeling the back sticker (so they wont stick) underneath the carbon cover on the GS, then push and tighten the locking. Rattles now gone, dunno how long it would last.