Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

XX1 Grip Shift Failure

I got about 1 hour and 20 minutes on my new XX1 group when the grip shift started to autoshift to smaller gears. Now it will not hold a shift. I had no crash or nothing seemed to break. Anyone else having problems with their XX1 grip shift? I see the thread on the rattle. Just wondering if I should go to trigger shift. Would appreciate any feedback on either the grip or trigger XX1.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Mine failed while it was still on the bike stand..

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My wife's failed today after about 6 hours total use. A friends also failed after a few hours use. Don't know what's wrong yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I know of four GS that has failed. Two of them I've seen.
    They behaved like this:

It is not possible to shift to a higher (smaller sprocket) gear.
    It is only possible to momentarily shift to a lower (bigger sprocket) gear, while keeping the grip shift twisted.
    The chain is positioned on the 7th sprocket counting from the smallest.

Two of them have been replaced on warranty på triggers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Mine failed in less than two hours. Trigger replacement is working perfectly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Borrowed one from a friend (who's afraid to use it and switched to triggers) and it failed :-(

mtbr member
    Mine just failed today. Same symptoms described by Hasse. Was on my second ride.

Any problems getting SRAM to replace it? I didn't keep any paperwork, but I've got the original box.

mtbr member
    The old cheap light grip shifters never fail. Nice overpriced overcomplicated "improvement".

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DownbeatDave View Post
    Mine just failed today. Same symptoms described by Hasse. Was on my second ride.

Any problems getting SRAM to replace it? I didn't keep any paperwork, but I've got the original box.
    The Australian SRAM distributors took a bit of persuading to swap, but luckily they botched the original order (& sent a trigger) so we got them to swap back to what was on the invoice.

mtbr member
    4 months and my GS is still perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My first one failed out of the box on the stand. Second one has held up for over 1,000 miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Mine just failed too. I had them on my bike for less than a month. I called SRAM and they said they are getting a bunch of failures and the shop I bought it at said I am the second warranty repair this month alone. Seems like gripshft xx1 is not ready for prime time. When I opened it up to take a look at what happened the interior is all plastic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Guess there will be a recall. Heard of a shop that will talk to SRAM about the issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drolling View Post
    Mine just failed too. I had them on my bike for less than a month. I called SRAM and they said they are getting a bunch of failures and the shop I bought it at said I am the second warranty repair this month alone. Seems like gripshft xx1 is not ready for prime time. When I opened it up to take a look at what happened the interior is all plastic.
    So is that the bottom line? They put ball bearings in these right? They must have metal bearing cups and races don't they?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

SRAM XX1 picture and description of grip shift failure

So I removed the shifter from my bike last night to package it up and send it back to the shop and then SRAM for warranty repair and took a quick look at the internal pieces from what I could see without opening it up. Basically the friction components are all made of cheap plastic. I could not see any metal on metal for the internals at all. What had happened is there is this thin metal clip like thing that rotates around the axis. It had moved outside of its track when I was shifting. The problem is the track is all plastic so it can easily jump off this track and break all the very thin and cheap plastic. In my case the plastic tabs had all been broken from the clip jumping the track. I am not a mechanical engineer but have lots of experience with repairing cars and mechanical things over the years and these guys are dreaming if they think that a plastic track is going to retain a metal pin with all the hand torque being applied.

I have attached a picture showing exactly what happened to my XX1 grip shift.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XX1 Grip Shift Failure-sram-xx1.jpg  

mtbr member
    So I removed the shifter from my bike last night to package it up and send it back to the shop and then SRAM for warranty repair and took a quick look at the internal pieces from what I could see without opening it up. Basically the friction components are all made of cheap plastic. I could not see any metal on metal for the internals at all. What had happened is there is this thin metal clip like thing that rotates around the axis. It had moved outside of its track when I was shifting. The problem is the track is all plastic so it can easily jump off this track and break all the very thin and cheap plastic. In my case the plastic tabs had all been broken from the clip jumping the track. I am not a mechanical engineer but have lots of experience with repairing cars and mechanical things over the years and these guys are dreaming if they think that a plastic track is going to retain a metal pin with all the hand torque being applied.

Thanks for that. I'm still a bit confused hower, since I think the old style gripshifters also used plastic "saw teeth" molded into the body, and a little metal clip to do the racheting, and those old style shifters seem to be extremely reliable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    There is a metal tab like thing that seems to ratchet around the circle. However it is held in place along the vertical axis by a plastic guard rail tabs. When you turn the gripshift during normal operation that metal piece is going to always move some small amount horizontally and push against the plastic guards. When metal is fighting plastic the plastic always loses and then the metal piece jumps the track and my shifter breaks. The picture above should help you see what I am talking about. I am really surprised as well and I think the gripshift in its current iteration is complete and total garbage. The plastic is really cheap. Why they would not use metal to keep that metal tab in place is beyond me.
    Last edited by drolling; 05-16-2013 at 03:05 PM.

mtbr member
    There must be more to it than just a metal part on a plastic part. Here are pictures of the old and the new style, and both have a metal tab inserted into a plastic body ratcheting on plastic teeth. Even the cheapest gripshifts on kids bikes hold up well with this same type of set up. There must be different forces acting on it, or something about the way the metal tab is attached is different. It's hard to tell from pictures and I have never disassembled the new 10 speed stuff.

XX1 Grip Shift Failure-gripshift-1.jpgName:  gripshift 2.jpg
Views: 6243
Size:  16.1 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I agree that they most likely had some design change from the old to the new but I don't think that comparing the kids version of gripshift to a race ready XX1 gearset on a mountain bike is the same. Adults are stronger and shift much more frequently than a kid and the components are also lighter. If you look at my picture you will see some plastic tabs that are broken off. They were left in the shifter when I removed it from my handle bars and they were only milimeters in thickness and seemed very delicate.

I personally would expect plastic on metal components to fail.

All bike, all the time

Much more shifting with XX1??

Wouldn't it make sense that XX1 users are shifting a lot more on the single shifter? And using the shift for wider ranges? Even if these contribute they don't seem big enough factors to explain this amount of failure... So far nothing from SRAM. But LBS feedback is SRAM stuff in general is suffering higher than normal breakage rates.

I agree that they most likely had some design change from the old to the new but I don't think that comparing the kids version of gripshift to a race ready XX1 gearset on a mountain bike is the same. Adults are stronger and shift much more frequently than a kid and the components are also lighter. If you look at my picture you will see some plastic tabs that are broken off. They were left in the shifter when I removed it from my handle bars and they were only milimeters in thickness and seemed very delicate.

I personally would expect plastic on metal components to fail.
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Another vote for grip shift failing within a month of use. similar to above. Internals just exploded. hard to say exactly which component failed first.
    Ibis Mojo 3 coming up !
    Pivot Mach 4C (140mm)
    Orbea Alma 29 1x10 rigid
    Lynskey R230 Sram Red, DA WS

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    According to SRAM-distributors in Denmark it is a known problem and there is now a fixed version of the GS out.
    Got a new one on a race and atleast it has held up for 160 min of racing so far.

mtbr member
    My PMBAR partner's GS failed at hour 7 of our 13 hour race this Sat. He had to hold it in gear the rest of the day. SRAM needs to step up and get everyone taken care of on this. Which I'm sure they will.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I personally will not trust this product until they come up with a solution where it is metal on metal and not plastic on metal. You would not need to have the whole thing be metal but would need it to protect itself from jumping the track.

I have already received the trigger shifters under warranty. I was very excited about using grip shift and was sorry that I will have to wait until they properly fix it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have 2 sets of the grip shifters and they both failed. Going to get the trigger now.

mtbr member
    May 2013

2x failure for xx1

Quote Originally Posted by TANK01 View Post
    I have 2 sets of the grip shifters and they both failed. Going to get the trigger now.
    I've had the same problem - first shifter failed in mid-February. SRAM warrantied. The new one worked fine until Saturday when it failed.

Same problem both times: auto-shifts, does not hold gears...very frustrating! It's too bad because the grip shift is a great concept.

But I'm switching to triggers...

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    My local distributor said it will be a month turn around time for the warranty.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    SRAM warrantied the first one in less than a week. I was nervous this would happen again and purchased a trigger shifter as a back-up. Glad I did...racing on Saturday!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009

Re: XX1 Grip Shift Failure

Why a lot of grip shifter has a problem? Fragily internals?

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    It should not be fragile. It is a very simple design that has historically been a reliable platform. Personally I think they should have had a metal piece as a guide for the metal ratchet. Alternatively they should have used stronger plastic. Take a look at the picture that I posted on page 1 which will show you in detail with arrows pointing to the parts that are failing on the internal mechanisms.

Quote Originally Posted by ftajiri View Post
    Why a lot of grip shifter has a problem? Fragily internals?

Send from Tapatalk via GalaxyTab

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Mine lasted five hours. Failed exactly the same way.The little metal detent jumped its shallow plastic track and it was game over. I could hold it manually in any gear lower than 7th (without indexing), and couldn't shift at all into anything higher. Fingers crossed for a warranty.

RAKC

Re: XX1 Grip Shift Failure

Omg can't help myself but lmao at this. After seeing the pics I checked the prices on these supposed to the best grip shifters, seriously ppl pay that for cheap crap that might have new tech but uses the same materials and such used on grip shift bikes you buy at Walmart......just so they can shift 10 speeds....can we say the mtbr community is getting bent over without lube and seems to smile about it. No wonder this is an expensive thing to get into, cause everyone pays $100s for cheap junk that last 1/10th as long as things made 10 years ago that cost 1/4th the price and the parts aren't worth more than 50% what places charge/ppl pay for them.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2

Huckin' trails

XX1 Grip Shift Failure

That's why 8spd drivetrain is still the best bang for your buck out there. But slowly you won't even have high-end 9spd stuff anymore !

For now, I can't afford to switch to a 10spd drivetrain to enjoy the new clutch and other gadget goodies, but damn I'm still having fun with the 2000's 9 speed stuff and it's cheap to buy too.

It's all about what you want. Can't blame the industry to sell products that expensive if people are gonna buy them anyway
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    Omg can't help myself but lmao at this. After seeing the pics I checked the prices on these supposed to the best grip shifters, seriously ppl pay that for cheap crap that might have new tech but uses the same materials and such used on grip shift bikes you buy at Walmart......just so they can shift 10 speeds....can we say the mtbr community is getting bent over without lube and seems to smile about it. No wonder this is an expensive thing to get into, cause everyone pays $100s for cheap junk that last 1/10th as long as things made 10 years ago that cost 1/4th the price and the parts aren't worth more than 50% what places charge/ppl pay for them.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    It sounds like you are saying that gripshift in general is junk, but the 9 speed stuff is very reliable, and even the walmart low end versions are a good option in that price range.

But, the fact the SRAM tried to make the best gripshift ever, and charges outrageous prices for it, and it turns out to be a bad design, is indeed laughable.

mtbr member
    Okay, see pic below. This is an XO 10 speed shifter but the design and features are supposed to be the same per SRAM's site.
    A & B are supposed to be metal. Referred to as "Speed Metal" by SRAM. Is that the case for those of you that took it apart?
    From what I am reading the problem is that B is held in place by the white piece of plastic and it is "popping" out or jumping out of the white part basically toward the Right of this picture and causing havoc on the internals. IS THIS CORRECT?
    I have had mine for 2 months with 4-5 hour rides each weekend with no problems but that doesn't mean it can't happen tomorrow.
    XX1 Grip Shift Failure-sram-gripshift-return-indent-springs02.jpg
    My Team: Feedback Sports Racing

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Chalk up another XX1 Gripshift failure. Mine ceased indexing after a few hours of riding.
    That was 2 months ago... the triggers I bought to replace the GS have been great.

I need to warranty the GS, but the retailer (upgradecycle) says they don't handle warranty returns. WTF?
    Any got a direct tel or email contact at SRAM for warranty?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Anybody know if the xx/xo gripshifters fail as reliably as the xx1?

mtbr member
    Replaced my Gripshifter with a trigger, much happier. Guess it just wasn't for me.

Elitest thrill junkie
    The whole problem with these in the first place was that they were cheap plastic and wore down. Rather than fix that, they introduced the 1:1ish actuation which made the wearing less of an issue due to the fact that the new ratio allowed it to be less precise.

That was almost 15 years ago...
    "It's only when you stand over it, you know, when you physically stand over the bike, that then you say 'hey, I don't have much stand over height', you know"-T. Ellsworth

You're turning black metallic.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Has Sram indicated that a recall or second generation XX1 shifter is in the works?
    Last edited by buggymancan; 07-22-2013 at 09:07 PM.

mtbr member
    Jun 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by alixta View Post
    Anybody know if the xx/xo gripshifters fail as reliably as the xx1?
    I'm assuming you mean the new 10 speed ones? If so, I've had mine over a year 2000 or so miles with no shifter breakage.

I popped into this thread because I'm wondering if 11sp is made differently than my 10sp shifter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    Another failure. Mine lasted for five minutes during initial assembly and failed as I was adjusting the derailleur. After reading this, I think I will switch to trigger.

Lactic Acid is my friend.

XX1 Grip Shift Failure

Mine failed as others have described above after a few hours of riding. My LBS called sram who sent a replacement trigger xx1 shifter right away while I wait for a grip shift replacement. 2 days turnaround to get back on the bike with triggers. Eager to get grip shift back though.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    I had the same XX1 gripshift failure 2 days ago ... it was 10 minutes old, just riding along a bike path ... disappointing ... will hand it in to the LBS for warranting this week.
    I really do not want to go to a trigger, so hopefully the replacement works as reliably as my previous set of X0 gripshifts (4 years without a problem)

CAMBr Trail Crew

What happened to the pic?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by droanx View Post
    I'm assuming you mean the new 10 speed ones? If so, I've had mine over a year 2000 or so miles with no shifter breakage.

I popped into this thread because I'm wondering if 11sp is made differently than my 10sp shifter.
    Yeah I meant 10sp, thankfully it looks like they are much more reliable than XX1.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I was thinking the same thing about the picture being taken down. I dont understand why MTB takes down all pictures after a set period of time. They must be having storage constraints.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by heych View Post
    I had the same XX1 gripshift failure 2 days ago ... it was 10 minutes old, just riding along a bike path ... disappointing ... will hand it in to the LBS for warranting this week.
    I really do not want to go to a trigger, so hopefully the replacement works as reliably as my previous set of X0 gripshifts (4 years without a problem)
    I have had the replacement for a couple of weeks and it works fine ... Must of had a dodgy one first, or maybe I am subconsciously being a bit more gentle with my gear changes? ... I feel the gripshift is the weakest link in an otherwise fantastic drivetrain.

mtbr member
    I was thinking the same thing about the picture being taken down. I dont understand why MTB takes down all pictures after a set period of time. They must be having storage constraints.
    I don't think its a storage constraint. there are a few technical issues with this forum lately that no one seems to be interested in fixing. It sucks.

mtbr member
    Nov 2013
    i just got my new xx1 group with gripshift and the gripshift failed before i even got it of the stand. i have returned to shop and asked for trigger to replace it after reading about all the ones that have failed i don't want to risk it in a race.
    its a bit sad as i was converted to xo gripshift 4 years ago and never had a problem.

Sup
    mine puked today
    it happens I guess
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I just installed XO1 Gripshift last night. Took it out on its maiden ride this morning. Failed immediately. I really like the Gripshift Concept and will have LBS replace it immediately. I hope that the replacement lasts.

mtbr member
    My xx1 grip shifter has just over 13 months on it and it still feels great. (Knock on wood) Ive gone through 3 sets of the grips....I wish someone made after market grips for this shifter.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    I am hoping and looking forward to having the same great experience with this system. Fingers crossed. I really like the concept especially since I love the clean look of my bars without the triggers. Am willing to cross my fingers just so I can maintain the clean look. Crossing my toes too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo_1 View Post
    My xx1 grip shifter has just over 13 months on it and it still feels great. (Knock on wood) Ive gone through 3 sets of the grips....I wish someone made after market grips for this shifter.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I use ESI Chunky grips with mine. I am surprised that the aftermarket companies haven't made grips for XX1 twisters, but I like the ESI grips just fine.

XX1 Grip Shift Failure-solo-twister.jpg

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I use ESI Chunky grips with mine. I am surprised that the aftermarket companies haven't made grips for XX1 twisters, but I like the ESI grips just fine.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Solo twister.jpg 
Views:	2846 
Size:	83.9 KB 
ID:	870598
    That's a good idea...did you just pull the ESI grip over the sram grip and trim to fit?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    That's a good idea...did you just pull the ESI grip over the sram grip and trim to fit?
    No, I didn't use the SRAM grip at all. I just cut the ESI grip to my preferred length and installed it next to the grip shift.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    My LBS replaced the faulty Gripshift immediately. I installed the replacement yesterday and went for a ride today. It worked flawlessly. Woooohooooo! I hope get many more miles on this. Fingers and toes crossed.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    It is possible to put the spring back into place if you are willing to open the "unserviceable" part.

-take off grip by pulling, spring will come out.
    -pry the snap ring holding the unserviceable part to the grip barrel with a thin screwdriver.
    -slide the snap ring done, but not so far that the bearing assembly being retained by the clip hits the cut outs. If it does you may end up with ball bearings everywhere. Careful not to let the bearing seal pull back from the bearing or the same will happen. Just be careful and it will be fine.
    -slide the moving inside plastic piece out just enough so you can get the spring out.
    -put the spring back, the long end goes over a little nub and it slides right in. This diagram helps with placement - the spring is red in the diagram. http://www.bikerumor.com/wp-content/...l-Diagrams.jpg

Put it all back together and it should work.

If min pops again I am going to try a dab of epoxy to retain the spring where it belongs.

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator

Damn SRAM QC!!!

My new XX(10-speed) GS also failed, after being installed and tested on the stand. There is a non-fixed, metal detent tab clip that can also come apart. Only solution is have SRAM warranty replace it with another one.

DO NOT take it apart, ever....
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

XX1 Grip Shift Failure

Yeah, the tab clip is exactly what I am referring to. There was no apparent physical damage, so why not just reseat it?

If it's under warranty and you don't mind waiting to get your bike up and running I guess it would make sense to have SRAM swap it out, but this was very doable with some care.

(If you are not mechanically inclined don't even think about it, this is definitely an "advanced" repair the first time you do it)

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Nov 2011

XX1 Grip Shift Failure

Has there been any public announcement from SRAM on this issue?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -------------------------------------

http://www.hookit.com/members/derekpommerenck/

mtbr member
    I've been using grip shift for almost 20 years! (since the clear x-ray version) I'm currently converting my bike to a 10 speed drivetrain so the 9 speed XO shifters have already been sold.

Is this issue still happening with the latest revisions from SRAM? This thread seriously has me thinking about changing to triggers. Bummer!

Has anybody had any issues with the XO 10 speed versions? Seems like most in this thread are XX1.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by Chasintrane View Post
    I've been using grip shift for almost 20 years! (since the clear x-ray version) I'm currently converting my bike to a 10 speed drivetrain so the 9 speed XO shifters have already been sold.

Is this issue still happening with the latest revisions from SRAM? This thread seriously has me thinking about changing to triggers. Bummer!

XX or XO, doesn't matter right, both models have had problems?
    I to have been using grip shift since the X-Ray days. I still have the faux wood SRAM rear derailleur.

My XX1 grip shifter is going on 2 years old now with out any problems. ( I ride 3-4 times a week)

bao
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Has anybody had problems with the xx1 grip shift lately? Sram fixed issue? Or people are now running triggers?

mtbr member
    I am curious too. I am getting ready to upgrade to XX1 and really want to stick with Grip Shift as I have been running it for 15 years.

Is SRAM still producing/selling a defective shifter?

I Tried Them ALL... SuperModerator
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    I am curious too. I am getting ready to upgrade to XX1 and really want to stick with Grip Shift as I have been running it for 15 years.

Is SRAM still producing/selling a defective shifter?
    Not to worry. They ironed-out the issues. If it still persists(doubtful) they will replace it ASAP.
    "This is a male-dominated forum... there will be lots of Testosterone sword-shaming here" ~ Kenfucius

Moderator Moderator
    FWIW, my wife has 6 months on hers without issue.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Just found the thread. I'll put my experience in with the 9 speed versions, X4.0 type. Utterly bulletproof. For perspective, I average something on the order of 10 shifts per mile on my 29er. I have 4 in service and just replaced one of them on the 29er that had over 13,000 verified miles on it. It still was OK but the gear indicator "tape" was getting thinned/sloppy and would occasionally get into the detent teeth shifting up from the first cog selection. Three thousand miles on a later one and 3 years of fatbike riding on yet another. These aren't race grade or such but neither are the X3 der's on the back which are also pretty much bulletproof. I have come to really like the grip shifters and it is more by accident than smarts! I can easily jump 3-6 gears with just one pop, really nice on singletrack. I can fine tune the cable length while riding as there is a finger friendly barrel adj on the shifter. I ride year round in Anchorage AK, lately with pogies covering the shifter/brakes. Hands get too warm once in a while so just pull them out and ride that way. Can still shift through the pogie. I would have probably wound up with grip shifters anyhow as my right thumb is finally paying me back for crap I did to it 30 years ago. So I hope SRAM gets it right with the 10 speeds; it is the one departure from the 9's I would look at for the fat bike to be able to ditch the second chain ring. It's close with the nine speed as it is. Thanks for the thread and hope this has been of some use.

mtbr member
    No doubt the 9 speed shifters are super durable (as well as being cheaper, simpler and lighter! )

But that's not what the thread is about. It's about the step backwards SRAM took to make us spend more money and complicate things, with the added bonus of reliability issues

mtbr member
    Happy to say I have about 100 miles on mine and it has not self destructed. I love 11 speed, I love it more with grip shift.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    so, I thought I'd add that I bought one of these failed shifters off of eBay for cheap. from what seemed to be a bike shop. Just got done fixing it. Funny enough, I just did a 3X9 X0 "overhaul" I guess you would call it (new shifter grip, springs, and lockring). It was the same issue with the XX1 as listed above, the indexing spring popped out. It's not too bad, but the indexing spring mounts on the underside of the nether region. And my spring wouldn't engage the detents in the index ring. I had to straighten it. So, unlike the X0 9spd, that springs appears to have to be straight to work. And it took me more than a sec to figure out where the index ring was suppose to go back to. But so far, so good. I'm not even sure how the indexing spring gets loose in the first place.

mtbr member
    I have been on XX1 Grip Shift for 7 months now. I accidentally pulled the twist shift part off of the body when I was doing the build, had the spring and other stuff fall out.

It all went back together no problem and has been working great ever since. The only thing that would have me move off of Grip Shift is Di2. I have it on my road bike and love it.

mtbr member
    Jun 2015
    Ordered a new 11 speed XO1 grip shifter and it was missing an end cap. Does anyone have a Ph# or web address where I can order one?

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by RickLafayette View Post
    Ordered a new 11 speed XO1 grip shifter and it was missing an end cap. Does anyone have a Ph# or web address where I can order one?
    I'd just go to your local shop.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdrunk View Post
    I have been on XX1 Grip Shift for 7 months now. I accidentally pulled the twist shift part off of the body when I was doing the build, had the spring and other stuff fall out.

It all went back together no problem and has been working great ever since. The only thing that would have me move off of Grip Shift is Di2. I have it on my road bike and love it.
    That's the first level of dissection and easy enough to get too, That spring helps with rotational feel somehow, but isn't the spring we are talking about.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014

120$ shifter that shifts for less than 6 months.

Wow... I'm like... totally fiberglasted.

It broke, out of the effing blue, in the middle of nowhere...

XX1 Grip Shift Failure-p1000550.jpg

Metal over plastic what the heck? Genius B.Ing @ SRAM... they should call themselves SCAM...

I hope I dont get any warranty issues...

Anyways... gonna install trigger shifter until it's resolved...

Formerly of Kent
    They'll most likely hook you up with a brand new shifter.

Bagging on them on the internet before it's resolved one way or another probably isn't in your best interests.
    Death from Below.

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Bagging out Sram for unreliable product is fine by me.

After 2off XX1 and 1off X0 shifter disintegrating within 12 months (on two different bikes - one a commuter, the other my Bronson ) I moved back to their trigger shifters.

From X9 to XX1 my and my friend's experience with the trigger units is one of reliability and durability for many years.
    I didn't use triggers at the time as I had a recurring right thumb injury.

As much as I want to love the grip shifts the love affair is over for me. Way too emotional and unstable a relationship !
    Ibis Mojo 3 coming up !
    Pivot Mach 4C (140mm)
    Orbea Alma 29 1x10 rigid
    Lynskey R230 Sram Red, DA WS

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Professed View Post
    Bagging out Sram for unreliable product is fine by me.

As much as I want to love the grip shifts the love affair is over for me. Way too emotional and unstable a relationship !
    I feel you. I just love my X01 derailleur, I wouldnt go back to shimano, and GripShift is sooooo fast, way faster than any trigger system... but I will pass until they come with a new design... I wouldnt mind them with xtra 30g if they'd last a reasonable time.

After 6 miles of hike-a-bike, stuck with a shifterless ride and a 120$ hole in my bank account, bagging out sram is all I have left... while sram executive drinks Starbuck coffees and drive Porsches... cuz the money I gave'em never fails.

RAKC
    This thread is what stopped me from going grip shift. The '11 used mukluk I bought had grip shift (9speed) and actually liked it. Was about to go gripshift 10 speed when something in my head told me to check first. Remembered this thread, went back through it, ordered trigger instead. A reliable trigger or an overpriced cheap piece of junk for grip shifter. But its what happens when market is more worried about saving 5grams than having long term reliability.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tigris99 View Post
    But its what happens when market is more worried about saving 5grams than having long term reliability.
    9 speed gripshift is great, and the 9 speed front micro adjust shifter is still an awesome option for 2x10 or 2x11.

As far as savings 5 grams, I think the new grip shifters are not only less reliable, they weigh more than the 9 speed versions!

CAMBr Trail Crew

XX1 Grip Shift Failure

In all fairness (and I hope this doesn't jinx me!) I have two bikes w/ XO 2X10 and one bike w/ XX1 grip shifts, and (knock on wood) they have all performed flawlessly. One set of the XO's was installed in August of 2012, the other installed April 2013. The XX1 was installed this past April.

I really hope everyone who's had an issue with their GS has the matter resolved w/o any hassles! Anyway, I'll still be following this thread just in case...

Last edited by DDDonny; 01-18-2016 at 12:02 PM.

mtbr member
    Same here

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    A follow-up for the records :

I've been refunded by my online bike shop after they sended it to SRAM. Thank you.

I really hope the next generation of GS won't suffer bad design... add 10gr to them if it's necessary, plz...

Now, reluctantly back to slower trigger shifters until better days arrive (snif snif)

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by WebsterDexter View Post
    A follow-up for the records :

I've been refunded by my online bike shop after they sended it to SRAM. Thank you.

I really hope the next generation of GS won't suffer bad design... add 10gr to them if it's necessary, plz...

Now, reluctantly back to slower trigger shifters until better days arrive (snif snif)

Cheers
    I've had an X01 and GX version of the GS apart myself. Not because I wanted to take them apart, but the whole thing wants to separate/explode when you slide it off the bar.

What happened in your case, what broke? I can't see it.

I'm beyond Freshman level skill with these now so I'm curious. While working on one of these by the way the spring just took off. And...I was outside. So I had to buy another spring, which you can't buy alone as far as I know.

mtbr member
    Oct 2014
    The plastic inner ring :
    XX1 Grip Shift Failure-p1000555.jpg
    XX1 Grip Shift Failure-p1000553.jpg
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XX1 Grip Shift Failure-p1000552.jpg  

mtbr member
    Oct 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by WebsterDexter View Post
    The plastic inner ring :

Name:	P1000555.jpg 
Views:	241 
Size:	86.2 KB 
ID:	1044768

Name:	P1000553.jpg 
Views:	232 
Size:	86.7 KB 
ID:	1044769
    Yikes! Ouch. I've also noticed that when re-assembled you might get easy or hard twist action. Definitely not a Shimano designed item.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

XX1 Grip Shift Failure

Eh... How does that happen? Broke during reassembly or broke in the shifter? If it's not able to be warrantied I'd try to solvent weld it with pvc cement and if that doesn't work epoxy.

mtbr member
    Anyone have a broken XX1 or X01 grip shift they want to sell me? I broke the part that the barrel adjuster screws into, and sram (or any of my LBS's) doesn't sell that part - I need to buy a whole new shifter! F'ing annoying! So I want to salvage the part from another shifter.

So, anyone have one? XX1 of X01 will work.

XX1 Grip Shift Failure-barrel-assembly.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Glue it with epoxy. It works.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Is reliability/failure still a problem with the current 11 sped grip shifters? I'm helping someone build up a bike with an 11 speed drivetrain and they prefer grip shift.

Thanks.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    Quote Originally Posted by westeast View Post
    Is reliability/failure still a problem with the current 11 sped grip shifters? I'm helping someone build up a bike with an 11 speed drivetrain and they prefer grip shift.

Thanks.
    I had the dealer install an XX1 grip shift on my Sight before I took delivery of the bike. That was back in March 2015. No problems here...

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Yep. My first XX1 blew up in weeks. Threw it away and just use trigger. All the sram trigger stuff is terrific in my experience. Freinds and now myself have years without problems. Even the low level stuff is superior to shimano now.

mtbr member
    yeah, no issues at all with the performance of the shifter. the only issue i had is the barrel adjuster stem breaking (probably during a crash) and sram not being willing to send me that $1 part.

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Thanks for the replies!

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I cracked my second grip shift barrel adjuster area just as pictured above. Still shifts fine, will epoxy next time I am doing the cable

mtbr member
    May 2004
    I have had Gripshift since 9.0SL. I have never had a gripshift fail. What is failing in your units? There is not much to them. Just a spring loaded ball falling into a detent!

mtbr member
    been on grip shift 1 x 11 for a couple years and now eagle 1 x 12 grip shift...never an issue and so much sweeter and easier to shift than triggers!!!!

mtbr member
    (responded by mistake and can't figure out how to delete...)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast