Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2013

XX1 Grip Shift Failure

I got about 1 hour and 20 minutes on my new XX1 group when the grip shift started to autoshift to smaller gears. Now it will not hold a shift. I had no crash or nothing seemed to break. Anyone else having problems with their XX1 grip shift? I see the thread on the rattle. Just wondering if I should go to trigger shift. Would appreciate any feedback on either the grip or trigger XX1.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Mine failed while it was still on the bike stand..

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    My wife's failed today after about 6 hours total use. A friends also failed after a few hours use. Don't know what's wrong yet.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    I know of four GS that has failed. Two of them I've seen.
    They behaved like this:

It is not possible to shift to a higher (smaller sprocket) gear.
    It is only possible to momentarily shift to a lower (bigger sprocket) gear, while keeping the grip shift twisted.
    The chain is positioned on the 7th sprocket counting from the smallest.

Two of them have been replaced on warranty på triggers.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Mine failed in less than two hours. Trigger replacement is working perfectly.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Borrowed one from a friend (who's afraid to use it and switched to triggers) and it failed :-(

mtbr member
    Mine just failed today. Same symptoms described by Hasse. Was on my second ride.

Any problems getting SRAM to replace it? I didn't keep any paperwork, but I've got the original box.

mtbr member
    The old cheap light grip shifters never fail. Nice overpriced overcomplicated "improvement".

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by DownbeatDave View Post
    Mine just failed today. Same symptoms described by Hasse. Was on my second ride.

Any problems getting SRAM to replace it? I didn't keep any paperwork, but I've got the original box.
    The Australian SRAM distributors took a bit of persuading to swap, but luckily they botched the original order (& sent a trigger) so we got them to swap back to what was on the invoice.

mtbr member
    4 months and my GS is still perfect.

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    My first one failed out of the box on the stand. Second one has held up for over 1,000 miles.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Mine just failed too. I had them on my bike for less than a month. I called SRAM and they said they are getting a bunch of failures and the shop I bought it at said I am the second warranty repair this month alone. Seems like gripshft xx1 is not ready for prime time. When I opened it up to take a look at what happened the interior is all plastic.

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    Guess there will be a recall. Heard of a shop that will talk to SRAM about the issues.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by drolling View Post
    Mine just failed too. I had them on my bike for less than a month. I called SRAM and they said they are getting a bunch of failures and the shop I bought it at said I am the second warranty repair this month alone. Seems like gripshft xx1 is not ready for prime time. When I opened it up to take a look at what happened the interior is all plastic.
    So is that the bottom line? They put ball bearings in these right? They must have metal bearing cups and races don't they?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

SRAM XX1 picture and description of grip shift failure

So I removed the shifter from my bike last night to package it up and send it back to the shop and then SRAM for warranty repair and took a quick look at the internal pieces from what I could see without opening it up. Basically the friction components are all made of cheap plastic. I could not see any metal on metal for the internals at all. What had happened is there is this thin metal clip like thing that rotates around the axis. It had moved outside of its track when I was shifting. The problem is the track is all plastic so it can easily jump off this track and break all the very thin and cheap plastic. In my case the plastic tabs had all been broken from the clip jumping the track. I am not a mechanical engineer but have lots of experience with repairing cars and mechanical things over the years and these guys are dreaming if they think that a plastic track is going to retain a metal pin with all the hand torque being applied.

I have attached a picture showing exactly what happened to my XX1 grip shift.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XX1 Grip Shift Failure-sram-xx1.jpg  

mtbr member
    So I removed the shifter from my bike last night to package it up and send it back to the shop and then SRAM for warranty repair and took a quick look at the internal pieces from what I could see without opening it up. Basically the friction components are all made of cheap plastic. I could not see any metal on metal for the internals at all. What had happened is there is this thin metal clip like thing that rotates around the axis. It had moved outside of its track when I was shifting. The problem is the track is all plastic so it can easily jump off this track and break all the very thin and cheap plastic. In my case the plastic tabs had all been broken from the clip jumping the track. I am not a mechanical engineer but have lots of experience with repairing cars and mechanical things over the years and these guys are dreaming if they think that a plastic track is going to retain a metal pin with all the hand torque being applied.

I have attached a picture showing exactly what happened to my XX1 grip shift.
    Thanks for that. I'm still a bit confused hower, since I think the old style gripshifters also used plastic "saw teeth" molded into the body, and a little metal clip to do the racheting, and those old style shifters seem to be extremely reliable.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    There is a metal tab like thing that seems to ratchet around the circle. However it is held in place along the vertical axis by a plastic guard rail tabs. When you turn the gripshift during normal operation that metal piece is going to always move some small amount horizontally and push against the plastic guards. When metal is fighting plastic the plastic always loses and then the metal piece jumps the track and my shifter breaks. The picture above should help you see what I am talking about. I am really surprised as well and I think the gripshift in its current iteration is complete and total garbage. The plastic is really cheap. Why they would not use metal to keep that metal tab in place is beyond me.
    Last edited by drolling; 05-16-2013 at 03:05 PM.

mtbr member
    There must be more to it than just a metal part on a plastic part. Here are pictures of the old and the new style, and both have a metal tab inserted into a plastic body ratcheting on plastic teeth. Even the cheapest gripshifts on kids bikes hold up well with this same type of set up. There must be different forces acting on it, or something about the way the metal tab is attached is different. It's hard to tell from pictures and I have never disassembled the new 10 speed stuff.

XX1 Grip Shift Failure-gripshift-1.jpgName:  gripshift 2.jpg
Views: 3201
Size:  16.1 KB

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I agree that they most likely had some design change from the old to the new but I don't think that comparing the kids version of gripshift to a race ready XX1 gearset on a mountain bike is the same. Adults are stronger and shift much more frequently than a kid and the components are also lighter. If you look at my picture you will see some plastic tabs that are broken off. They were left in the shifter when I removed it from my handle bars and they were only milimeters in thickness and seemed very delicate.

I personally would expect plastic on metal components to fail.

All bike, all the time

Much more shifting with XX1??

Wouldn't it make sense that XX1 users are shifting a lot more on the single shifter? And using the shift for wider ranges? Even if these contribute they don't seem big enough factors to explain this amount of failure... So far nothing from SRAM. But LBS feedback is SRAM stuff in general is suffering higher than normal breakage rates.

I agree that they most likely had some design change from the old to the new but I don't think that comparing the kids version of gripshift to a race ready XX1 gearset on a mountain bike is the same. Adults are stronger and shift much more frequently than a kid and the components are also lighter. If you look at my picture you will see some plastic tabs that are broken off. They were left in the shifter when I removed it from my handle bars and they were only milimeters in thickness and seemed very delicate.

I personally would expect plastic on metal components to fail.
    All bike, all the time

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Another vote for grip shift failing within a month of use. similar to above. Internals just exploded. hard to say exactly which component failed first.
    Liteville 301 650b XX1
    Orbea Alma 29 1x10
    Niner SIR SS/Commuter
    Lynskey R230 Sram Red, DA wheelset

mtbr member
    Aug 2005
    According to SRAM-distributors in Denmark it is a known problem and there is now a fixed version of the GS out.
    Got a new one on a race and atleast it has held up for 160 min of racing so far.

mtbr member
    My PMBAR partner's GS failed at hour 7 of our 13 hour race this Sat. He had to hold it in gear the rest of the day. SRAM needs to step up and get everyone taken care of on this. Which I'm sure they will.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I personally will not trust this product until they come up with a solution where it is metal on metal and not plastic on metal. You would not need to have the whole thing be metal but would need it to protect itself from jumping the track.

I have already received the trigger shifters under warranty. I was very excited about using grip shift and was sorry that I will have to wait until they properly fix it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have 2 sets of the grip shifters and they both failed. Going to get the trigger now.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast