Results 1 to 23 of 23
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    79

    XX1 derailleur adjustment

    I'm trying to setup my XX1 rear derailleur, and the limit screws don't seem to actually be adjusting the horizontal position of the cage.... or really doing anything at all, for that matter. At the moment, it's adjusted too far inboard in the 42T, and I can't get it to move inward. I'm sure I'm just doing something completely wrong, but this seems pretty straightforward....

    Any input from someone who's already done this?

  2. #2
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by mazafakka View Post
    I'm trying to setup my XX1 rear derailleur, and the limit screws don't seem to actually be adjusting the horizontal position of the cage.... or really doing anything at all, for that matter. At the moment, it's adjusted too far inboard in the 42T, and I can't get it to move inward. I'm sure I'm just doing something completely wrong, but this seems pretty straightforward....

    Any input from someone who's already done this?
    Are you sure you are using the right screws, It's a very easy job ?

  3. #3
    DIY all the way
    Reputation: Mr.Magura's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    2,411
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Are you sure you are using the right screws, It's a very easy job ?
    I was thinking exactly the same.

    Take a close look at the internals of you derailleur, and make sure you understand what's going on.


    Magura

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    79
    I got it - yes I was using the right screws, but I had the cable tension too high. I basically just went back and started the setup process over from the beginning and everything was fine.

    Thanks!

  5. #5
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by mazafakka View Post
    I got it - yes I was using the right screws, but I had the cable tension too high. I basically just went back and started the setup process over from the beginning and everything was fine.

    Thanks!
    I do the 1st setup with the screws before I put a cable anywhere near it.

  6. #6
    mtbr member
    Reputation: rcjonessnp175's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    401
    Ok I just installed xx1 on my 2012 stumpy evo expert. I have a problem, when I'm in the 10 tooth ring in the back and back pedal the chain skips up to the next gear and jams up abit. Anybody have this issue and is it a rear derailure adjustment?
    Played with the limit screws and b screw but have not eliminated that skip. It's the only gear that does it and shifts perfectly otherwise. Thanks for any input

  7. #7
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    389
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjonessnp175 View Post
    Ok I just installed xx1 on my 2012 stumpy evo expert. I have a problem, when I'm in the 10 tooth ring in the back and back pedal the chain skips up to the next gear and jams up abit. Anybody have this issue and is it a rear derailure adjustment?
    Played with the limit screws and b screw but have not eliminated that skip. It's the only gear that does it and shifts perfectly otherwise. Thanks for any input
    did you notice this in RD adjustment guide:

    "Align the center of the upper guide pulley with the outboard edge of the smallest cog"

  8. #8
    mtbr member
    Reputation: HDTVdevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Posts
    204
    Just to be sure I'm doing this right ... aligning the pulley and tensioning the cable is done with or without the chain. Already did both ways and keep having trouble with 42t cog.

  9. #9
    ban
    ban is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,293
    how loose does the cable have to be in the 10t cog? does it have to have any tension or not? Sram XX1 manual is not helpful at all

  10. #10
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    how loose does the cable have to be in the 10t cog? does it have to have any tension or not? Sram XX1 manual is not helpful at all
    With mine in 10t cog, It rests more on the travel stop than the cable.

  11. #11
    ban
    ban is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,293
    okay, many thanks, I was having some shifting problems and I'm starting from scratch....
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    With mine in 10t cog, It rests more on the travel stop than the cable.

  12. #12
    Bodhisattva
    Reputation: The Squeaky Wheel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2003
    Posts
    9,629
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    how loose does the cable have to be in the 10t cog? does it have to have any tension or not? Sram XX1 manual is not helpful at all
    Cable tension is irrelevant. The RD limit screws set the proper alignment in the biggest & smallest cogs. Cable tension is then used to fine tune shifting between gears.

    Set the limit screws with chain tension
    “Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

    ― Albert Einstein

  13. #13
    ban
    ban is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,293
    Well my adjusting problems with my XX1 keep annoying me....Last week I replaced the chain and cable housing as it didn't shift as smooth as supposed....after replacing that, and some adjusting, everything seemed to be fine again...But the first ride before that, I snapped the hanger...I "think" the rear der. didn't hit anything but of course it's difficult to say....the hanger just snapped, I wasn't even pedaling hard, I was starting to go down...Well, I replaced the hanger and all my adjusting problems started again....I couldn't make the damn thing to shift properly...When it seems to shift fine, it makes noise in one specific sprocket (which I checked and rechecked and seems to be fine...) if I give more tension to the cable, the noise goes away but it doesn't shift fine! I have mainly problems with either downshifting from the biggest sprocket or unshifting from the smallest sprocket...If I give tension, it doesn't downshift ok, and just the opposite if there is less cable tension...
    I don't know what else to check, I suspect the rear der. could be slightly bent but visually, it doesn't seem to be! I've already ordered a new rear der. to see if this is the problem but if anybody knows what else it could, it'd be great...
    just to make that clear! the chain, cable housing, hanger are new and before (when everything was new) it worked as supposed....

  14. #14
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    Well my adjusting problems with my XX1 keep annoying me....Last week I replaced the chain and cable housing as it didn't shift as smooth as supposed....after replacing that, and some adjusting, everything seemed to be fine again...But the first ride before that, I snapped the hanger...I "think" the rear der. didn't hit anything but of course it's difficult to say....the hanger just snapped, I wasn't even pedaling hard, I was starting to go down...Well, I replaced the hanger and all my adjusting problems started again....I couldn't make the damn thing to shift properly...When it seems to shift fine, it makes noise in one specific sprocket (which I checked and rechecked and seems to be fine...) if I give more tension to the cable, the noise goes away but it doesn't shift fine! I have mainly problems with either downshifting from the biggest sprocket or unshifting from the smallest sprocket...If I give tension, it doesn't downshift ok, and just the opposite if there is less cable tension...
    I don't know what else to check, I suspect the rear der. could be slightly bent but visually, it doesn't seem to be! I've already ordered a new rear der. to see if this is the problem but if anybody knows what else it could, it'd be great...
    just to make that clear! the chain, cable housing, hanger are new and before (when everything was new) it worked as supposed....

    @ban, I have the same issue. Did you solve it in the meantime?

  15. #15
    ban
    ban is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,293
    Yes I replaced the whole rear der. and everything went smooth again, seems I'd some where hit it and it was slightly bent but enough for causing bad-shifting...I didn't notice it was bent until I put it back to back with a new one....
    Quote Originally Posted by BernoBueno View Post
    @ban, I have the same issue. Did you solve it in the meantime?

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Posts
    2
    Thanks for the quick reply, ban. Which part of your rear derailleur was bent? I might have the same issue.

    Now I mounted the 34T chainring (before I had 28T) along with a longer chain, and it seemed to improve things quite a bit. However, it sometimes hangs on the smallest AND on the largest cog when shifting, but adjusting the limit screws wouldn't solve it.
    Maybe mine is bent, too...

    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    Yes I replaced the whole rear der. and everything went smooth again, seems I'd some where hit it and it was slightly bent but enough for causing bad-shifting...I didn't notice it was bent until I put it back to back with a new one....

  17. #17
    ban
    ban is online now
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Posts
    1,293

    XX1 derailleur adjustment

    The bottom jockey wheel was slightly twisted compared to a new der. I suppose the cage was bent somewhere but I don't recall having hit anything with the der. or crashed against rocks or whatever....strange....!

  18. #18
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6

    Chain line

    Quote Originally Posted by rcjonessnp175 View Post
    Ok I just installed xx1 on my 2012 stumpy evo expert. I have a problem, when I'm in the 10 tooth ring in the back and back pedal the chain skips up to the next gear and jams up abit. Anybody have this issue and is it a rear derailure adjustment?
    Played with the limit screws and b screw but have not eliminated that skip. It's the only gear that does it and shifts perfectly otherwise. Thanks for any input
    This is a common issue, and not just on XX1. when you are pedalling forwards the derailleur jockey pulley ensures the chain is 'fed' onto the correct gear in the cassette. When pedalling backwards the RD has NO effect because the chain is being 'fed' onto the top of the cassette. Generally the issue you are talking about is exacerbated by: small frames causing a very acute chain angle, or an incorrect chainline caused by the BB being spaced incorrectly. It is common for the chain to 'walk' while backpedaling either up and/or down the cassette.

    One last thing, this problem may improve as the drivetrain wears in, there are less sharp edges on the cassette and chain to 'pick up' when backpedaling.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    6
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    Well my adjusting problems with my XX1 keep annoying me....Last week I replaced the chain and cable housing as it didn't shift as smooth as supposed....after replacing that, and some adjusting, everything seemed to be fine again...But the first ride before that, I snapped the hanger...I "think" the rear der. didn't hit anything but of course it's difficult to say....the hanger just snapped, I wasn't even pedaling hard, I was starting to go down...Well, I replaced the hanger and all my adjusting problems started again....I couldn't make the damn thing to shift properly...When it seems to shift fine, it makes noise in one specific sprocket (which I checked and rechecked and seems to be fine...) if I give more tension to the cable, the noise goes away but it doesn't shift fine! I have mainly problems with either downshifting from the biggest sprocket or unshifting from the smallest sprocket...If I give tension, it doesn't downshift ok, and just the opposite if there is less cable tension...
    I don't know what else to check, I suspect the rear der. could be slightly bent but visually, it doesn't seem to be! I've already ordered a new rear der. to see if this is the problem but if anybody knows what else it could, it'd be great...
    just to make that clear! the chain, cable housing, hanger are new and before (when everything was new) it worked as supposed....
    The problem you are having sounds 100% like the hanger is not aligned properly to the frame (more importantly the wheel). Many tool manufacturers make what is called a derailleur alignment gauge, basically it is a big solid bar which bolts on the hanger and shows you if it (the hanger) is parallel to the wheel. If the hanger is not parallel to the wheel by even half a degree then the derailleur will simply never work to it's full potential. I have worked as a head technician since the inception of 10 speed Mtb drivetrains, and I can say with 100% certainty that an out of alignment hanger is the most overlooked troubleshoot in existence.

    Heres some answers to the more obvious questions you probably have:
    "will the hanger be perfectly aligned on a brand new bike, even a really high end brand new bike"? Answer: Surprisingly not that often.

    "I broke my hanger, I replaced it myself, and now my shifting SUCKS!!, wtf"??
    Answer: Your old hanger was probably previously aligned by a shop that had a
    derailleur alignment gauge, when you put on your new hanger it was out
    of alignment.

    What does aligning my derailleur/hanger entail, can I do it myself?
    Aligning the derailleur literally is about bending the hanger... you really
    shouldn't do it without the alignment gauge, its a recipe for disaster
    (particularly if the hanger has a 'twist' in it). Often the hanger can
    break since aluminum won't allow much plastic deformation before a
    'brittle failure'.

    "My Lower pulley seemed to be twisted though, isn't that the problem"?
    Lower pulleys have surprisingly little affect on shifting quality; the cage
    being twisted isn't usually a suspect in trouble-shooting a poorly
    functioning RD.

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation: chris9888's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Posts
    273
    A short write up on XX1 rear derailluer adjustment:

    Two Wheels Good, Four Wheels Bad: How to Adjust SRAM XX1 Rear Derailleur

  21. #21
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I do the 1st setup with the screws before I put a cable anywhere near it.
    How is that possible?? How do you adjust the low limit screw with no cable installed?

    There's no way you just do it by pushing it with your hand. That's not precise enough.

  22. #22
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,268
    Quote Originally Posted by chrisingrassia View Post
    How is that possible?? How do you adjust the low limit screw with no cable installed?

    There's no way you just do it by pushing it with your hand. That's not precise enough.
    Of course you can do it with your hand, It's a limit screw, to limit the travel.

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2012
    Posts
    199
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Of course you can do it with your hand, It's a limit screw, to limit the travel.
    Took my bike to a garage mechanic locally. Sure enough, he showed me how to do it with your hands. I was able to get a complete understanding now of how the limit screws, b-tension, cable tension, and barrel adjusters all work together and in what order those processes should be done in.
    Last edited by chrisingrassia; 10-20-2014 at 10:05 AM.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •