mtbr member
    Dec 2006

XX1 derailleur adjustment

I'm trying to setup my XX1 rear derailleur, and the limit screws don't seem to actually be adjusting the horizontal position of the cage.... or really doing anything at all, for that matter. At the moment, it's adjusted too far inboard in the 42T, and I can't get it to move inward. I'm sure I'm just doing something completely wrong, but this seems pretty straightforward....

Any input from someone who's already done this?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by mazafakka View Post
    I'm trying to setup my XX1 rear derailleur, and the limit screws don't seem to actually be adjusting the horizontal position of the cage.... or really doing anything at all, for that matter. At the moment, it's adjusted too far inboard in the 42T, and I can't get it to move inward. I'm sure I'm just doing something completely wrong, but this seems pretty straightforward....

Any input from someone who's already done this?
    Are you sure you are using the right screws, It's a very easy job ?

DIY all the way
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Are you sure you are using the right screws, It's a very easy job ?
    I was thinking exactly the same.

Take a close look at the internals of you derailleur, and make sure you understand what's going on.

Magura

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I got it - yes I was using the right screws, but I had the cable tension too high. I basically just went back and started the setup process over from the beginning and everything was fine.

Thanks!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by mazafakka View Post
    I got it - yes I was using the right screws, but I had the cable tension too high. I basically just went back and started the setup process over from the beginning and everything was fine.

Thanks!
    I do the 1st setup with the screws before I put a cable anywhere near it.

mtbr member
    Ok I just installed xx1 on my 2012 stumpy evo expert. I have a problem, when I'm in the 10 tooth ring in the back and back pedal the chain skips up to the next gear and jams up abit. Anybody have this issue and is it a rear derailure adjustment?
    Played with the limit screws and b screw but have not eliminated that skip. It's the only gear that does it and shifts perfectly otherwise. Thanks for any input

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rcjonessnp175 View Post
    Ok I just installed xx1 on my 2012 stumpy evo expert. I have a problem, when I'm in the 10 tooth ring in the back and back pedal the chain skips up to the next gear and jams up abit. Anybody have this issue and is it a rear derailure adjustment?
    Played with the limit screws and b screw but have not eliminated that skip. It's the only gear that does it and shifts perfectly otherwise. Thanks for any input
    did you notice this in RD adjustment guide:

"Align the center of the upper guide pulley with the outboard edge of the smallest cog"

mtbr member
    Just to be sure I'm doing this right ... aligning the pulley and tensioning the cable is done with or without the chain. Already did both ways and keep having trouble with 42t cog.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    how loose does the cable have to be in the 10t cog? does it have to have any tension or not? Sram XX1 manual is not helpful at all

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    how loose does the cable have to be in the 10t cog? does it have to have any tension or not? Sram XX1 manual is not helpful at all
    With mine in 10t cog, It rests more on the travel stop than the cable.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    okay, many thanks, I was having some shifting problems and I'm starting from scratch....
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    With mine in 10t cog, It rests more on the travel stop than the cable.

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by ban View Post
    Cable tension is irrelevant. The RD limit screws set the proper alignment in the biggest & smallest cogs. Cable tension is then used to fine tune shifting between gears.

Set the limit screws with chain tension
    Life....the original terminal illness

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Well my adjusting problems with my XX1 keep annoying me....Last week I replaced the chain and cable housing as it didn't shift as smooth as supposed....after replacing that, and some adjusting, everything seemed to be fine again...But the first ride before that, I snapped the hanger...I "think" the rear der. didn't hit anything but of course it's difficult to say....the hanger just snapped, I wasn't even pedaling hard, I was starting to go down...Well, I replaced the hanger and all my adjusting problems started again....I couldn't make the damn thing to shift properly...When it seems to shift fine, it makes noise in one specific sprocket (which I checked and rechecked and seems to be fine...) if I give more tension to the cable, the noise goes away but it doesn't shift fine! I have mainly problems with either downshifting from the biggest sprocket or unshifting from the smallest sprocket...If I give tension, it doesn't downshift ok, and just the opposite if there is less cable tension...
    I don't know what else to check, I suspect the rear der. could be slightly bent but visually, it doesn't seem to be! I've already ordered a new rear der. to see if this is the problem but if anybody knows what else it could, it'd be great...
    just to make that clear! the chain, cable housing, hanger are new and before (when everything was new) it worked as supposed....