mtbr member
    Sep 2009

XX1 Cassette install on dt swis

I want to make sure I am not missing something. I have the xx1 drive hub for my dtswiss 240 however I see threads on the bottom and inside the casstette does this thread on? Does is get a cap on top of the cassette?

mtbr member
    Just threads on, no cap

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Hi, I tried to thread but it has teeth at bottom of cassette that fit into the hub body and wont let me spin?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I figured it out. had to insert cassette tool into cassette itself and the inner part turns. That's a new one for me.

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    thanks, I was trying to figure this out myself

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by edmpt View Post
    thanks, I was trying to figure this out myself
    Drove me nuts...

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by bigdog100 View Post
    I figured it out. had to insert cassette tool into cassette itself and the inner part turns. That's a new one for me.
    Can you please explain what you mean by "insert cassette tool into cassette itself"?
    I have tried putting the cassette tool on the outside of cassette like you would with a normal cassette but because of the teeth being engaged it wont let me tighten the cassette down.
    Thanks

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by gbran805 View Post
    Can you please explain what you mean by "insert cassette tool into cassette itself"?
    I have tried putting the cassette tool on the outside of cassette like you would with a normal cassette but because of the teeth being engaged it wont let me tighten the cassette down.
    Thanks
    Ok place cassette tool into the actual cassette. The internal threads actually spin as cassette remains stationary. Just thread on and you are done

Bodhisattva
    This may help....

When I got my XX1, I had trouble getting my older Park cassette tool to seat properly in the splines of the lock ring. In order to get proper engagement between the splines of the cassette tool and the lock ring, my friend milled out a few centimeters of metal from the cassette tool, which allows it now to sit deeper on the lock ring and engage the splines properly.

I understand the newer generation of Park & Pedros cassette tools are machined differently , but those with older tools will likely have this issues with xx1.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Ok thanks, I'll try to figure it out.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Just a helpful hint even though your issue is solved:

If you didn't grease the treads/splines on your DT freehub body prior to installing your XX1 cassette, you might consider removing the cassette now, and greasing it before you ride it for the season. The threads/splines on the DT hubs are an incredibly close match, and if left ungreased, can make removing the cassette in the future extremely difficult. Enjoy!

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider View Post

If you didn't grease the treads/splines on your DT freehub body prior to installing your XX1 cassette, you might consider removing the cassette now, and greasing it before you ride it for the season. The threads/splines on the DT hubs are an incredibly close match, and if left ungreased, can make removing the cassette in the future extremely difficult. Enjoy!
    Ya good tip, mechanic at LBS told me same thing. Thanks

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Banshee Rider View Post

Here's my cassette removal story I posted on another forum (XX1 on DT Swiss). Hope it helps someone trying it for the first time...

"Ha, you're not the first one to encounter this "issue". I've been meaning to do a post on it for a while, but was too lazy to get around to it. Short story is, this is common...

The long story goes something like this:

I had the same problem with the XX1 cassette on DT Swiss 240s hub. The reason is that the spline interface which transfers torque between the cassette and the freehub body is press fit, not loose fit like on Shimano. I think SRAM went with press fit because the splines are on the largest cog only, if the fit was loose the splines on the hub and maybe on the cassette would not last very long.

First time I was removing the cassette, with one turn of the sleeve to go the thread started skipping with a very loud clang because the largest cog was still stuck and not moving. I used a piece of wood to give it a bit of a push. When it came off I noticed that thread skipping shaved off the last turn of thread off the free hub body - was not impressed at all.

Second time I went to remove the cassette I was counting the turns of the spanner, with the piece of wood on stand-by for the last (5th) turn. To my horror, I noticed that because the largest cog was stuck while the sleeve was turning and trying to pull it off, the whole hollow cassette dome got stretched axially by several mm's. So I quickly backed off and after a second go the cassette popped off normally.

Third time, I was trying to give the 42t cog a push after each turn of the spanner. This time the whole fckn free hub body flew off the hub axle with the cassette attached to it, and all the star ratchet bits went into the grass...

At that point I switched from normal teflon grease to white lithium grease, and have had no issues since. Not sure if it's because of the different grease or because of wear and tear on the cassette/freehub body from regular removal..."