Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2006

XX1 Cassette Creak (thought it was bottom bracket)

A word of warning to anyone experiencing a creaking sound with their XX1 setup:

I had what I thought was a creaky bottom bracket on my SC Highball C. Whenever I was putting any kind of torque into the highest two gears (smallest 2 rings) on my XX1 I heard a creak. After disassembling, cleaning, re-greasing, and reinstalling the BB, the creak was still there. I then removed my XX1 cassette, which was still properly torqued, cleaned and regreased the threads and every surface where the DT350 cassette body and the cassette touched. This solved the problem. This is actually the second time I've had to do this since installation: I installed the XX1 kit on 12/30/2012, and I've ridden 330 miles on the bike since. Hopefully this doesn't continue, because it'll be annoying to have to remove and regrease the cassette every three weeks or 165 miles...

I am posting this to hopefully save some other folks from spending 1-2 hours pulling the cranks and BB off their bikes.

mtbr member
    Hmmm, anyone else have this problem?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    I experienced this last night on my ride home. Same two gears under torque. I haven't removed and reinstalled the cassette but it sounds like that will fix the issue. Ill let you know.
    Last edited by cityloopcycles; 02-26-2013 at 08:37 PM.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    I experienced this with a SRAM 1080 (10 speed XO) cassette, brand new only had about 7 hours of riding on it. Turns out it's because the individual chain rings are attached to the next by little pins, and instead of the whole cassette/each chainring having grooves interlocking into the free hub there's just a small section which does. This means that in certain chain rings, the force is not transmitted directly to the freehub but rather transmitted via these pins to the next chain ring (or across several) to the one or two which have interlocking grooves into the freehub body.

The creaking was only in the chainrings that didn't interlock with the freehub body, the creaking was caused by the force being transmitted across these pins.

Not sure on the XX1 construction but it may be a similar issue?

Being 10 speed the solution is to change cassettes to one which has each chainring grooved to mesh with the freehub body (ie. shimano). Not sure what XX1 options are.

Twin Six METAL Team

XX1 Cassette Creak (thought it was bottom bracket)

Not sure if you're still having this issue, but...

Did you straighten the derailleur hanger? I ask because I had the creak too, and asked a friend at my LBS about it. He immediately pulled out the straightener, and now the creaking is gone. Shifting is even smoother as well now. You might want to try this, if you haven't already.

mtbr member
    May 2010
    So I removed my cassette, cleaned, lubed, and reinstalled and it still creaks. Its very odd that I can only get it to creak in the 12 and 10 tooth cogs. I'll check my hanger alignment tomorrow.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I also experienced a creaking sound with my XX1 when either pedalling under load or even sitting on the bike and setting sag, which I initially thought was caused by the BB or suspension pivots on my Blur TRc. Took it to my LBS and the mechanic removed the chain and then demonstrated the creaking had stopped. He said the likely culprit was a faulty clutch in the Type 2 mechanism. I then took it direct to another shop who are directly connected to the SRAM distributor here in Hong Kong and the derailleur was immediately replaced under warranty - creaking disappeared. They said it was a "known issue" without elaborating. Not a great start with XX1 but a fantastic product and great service too...

mtbr member
    Not what I wanted to hear. I don't care if a company fixes things for free, they shouldn't break in the first place.

mtbr member
    From what I have heard the XX1 cog is a one piece unit C/C'ed. I do not believe that there are any pins holding the sprockets together. I could be wrong but I remember looking at the vid they had out about this new 1X11 setup.

Mark
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XX1 Cassette Creak (thought it was bottom bracket)-sram_mtb_xx1_12f130120_md.jpg  

Last edited by millertm; 03-01-2013 at 05:49 AM.
    2012 XXL Carve Expert

mtbr member
    May 2010
    so my hanger was straight. i'm not sure what else to really check but i'm also not really worried about it. i've only been able to make it do it during my commute on paved roads in the 2 hardest gears. i may remove the cassette one more time just to triple check it but otherwise no big deal.

Twin Six METAL Team
    Quote Originally Posted by cityloopcycles View Post
    so my hanger was straight. i'm not sure what else to really check but i'm also not really worried about it. i've only been able to make it do it during my commute on paved roads in the 2 hardest gears. i may remove the cassette one more time just to triple check it but otherwise no big deal.
    Sorry to hear that. Aside from the straightening the hanger and removing/re-installing the cassette, derailleur, and wheel, I can really think of anything. Could the XD Driver have anything to do with it? Just a thought, but maybe you could remove and re-grease that?

mtbr member
    Cityloop, did you read this?

Quote Originally Posted by tavaenga View Post
    I also experienced a creaking sound with my XX1 when either pedalling under load or even sitting on the bike and setting sag, which I initially thought was caused by the BB or suspension pivots on my Blur TRc. Took it to my LBS and the mechanic removed the chain and then demonstrated the creaking had stopped. He said the likely culprit was a faulty clutch in the Type 2 mechanism. I then took it direct to another shop who are directly connected to the SRAM distributor here in Hong Kong and the derailleur was immediately replaced under warranty - creaking disappeared. They said it was a "known issue" without elaborating. Not a great start with XX1 but a fantastic product and great service too...

mtbr member
    May 2010
    Limba,

Yeah I saw that but my bike only makes that noise under harder efforts. It's a brand new epic s-works and doesn't make a peep otherwise. it's a very quiet bike. I'm going to try a few more things. I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks for the suggestions.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I have this exact problem! It was hard to trace but the same issue of creaking under load. SRAM replaced my 1 month old derailleur under warranty but now on my 4th ride on my new one it's creaking like an old pirate ship. Here's a video of me getting it to make noise.

SRAM XX1 Noise Problem - YouTube
    Last edited by s-works-addict; 05-10-2013 at 09:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by s-works-addict View Post
    I have this exact problem! It was hard to trace but the same issue of creaking under load. SRAM warrantied my 1 month old derailleur but not my on my 4 ride on my new one it's doing the thing again. Here's a video of me getting it to make noise.

SRAM XX1 Noise Problem - YouTube
    Mine does the same thing. To fix it, I did two things:
    1. Take the derailleur off the hanger (T25), and grease the threads and the surface of the hanger where it interfaces with the derailleur. My theory is with the friction clutch, it transfers a lot of the flex to the derailleur body and hanger area so this has to be cleaned, greased and tight (you can actually see the flex on the body as the clutch is engaging).
    2. Take the cap off the clutch. There is a T55 torx bolt beneath the cap that controls how much friction is applied. Turn it counterclockwise until the noise quiets down. Replace cap.
    Some folks have completely torn down the derailleur to clean and re-grease the clutch area as well...

mtbr member
    I have two and one does the exact same thing as in the video posted. i have tried to pop that little cap off with my fingernail with no success. how do you remove it?

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    I think the best thing to do is arrange for a warranty exchange with SRAM through your LBS. They've done blind-exchanges for me as long as you give your LBS the serial #. Helps prevent downtime!

Quote Originally Posted by goodoljake View Post
    I have two and one does the exact same thing as in the video posted. i have tried to pop that little cap off with my fingernail with no success. how do you remove it?

mtbr member
    I'd love to, but I got it off ebay.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    If you try to adjust it yourself - post some pics or video please!

mtbr member
    I used a very tiny screwdriver (the type of screwdriver you use for eyeglass repair). However, a small pick would work just as well. The cap is not a critical part. It just covers the T55 so if you scratch it up a little bit, it's no big deal.

mtbr member
    so the entire nickel size cap or the smaller center part comes off?

mtbr member
    so the entire nickel size cap or the smaller center part comes off?
    Just the center cap. It should spin when you turn it. It should just pry off but you need to get something beneath it. Even a safety pin should work.

mtbr member
    right on, not sure if anyone has seen this thread, but I will probably try to lube the outer parts as these dudes are talking about. XX1 knocking/clunking

mtbr member
    Ok so I removed it, cleaned the hanger and greased the hanger. cleaned off the der. and backed off the tension screw deal. seems to have fixed it, at least on the work stand and in front of my house. time will tell. if it doesn't then i will definitely tear that thing apart and see what happens. good luck to you all and hopefully i won't be back.

j-dub
    Nov 2009
    Ok so I removed it, cleaned the hanger and greased the hanger. cleaned off the der. and backed off the tension screw deal. seems to have fixed it, at least on the work stand and in front of my house. time will tell. if it doesn't then i will definitely tear that thing apart and see what happens. good luck to you all and hopefully i won't be back.
    Hey guys, my center cap is adhered w loctite and more secure than fort knock (haha). Any ideas on how to pull it off? Some guys are saying their plastic cap rotates, my has excessive loctite and simply will not come off.

I have isolated my noise the XX1 rear D and will do almost anything to fix this now. Any ideas that you have would be really helpful.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast