Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    The center cap on the clutch is just a little plastic cap which is a little hard to get out. Just use a dental pick or really small screw driver to pry it out. The loctite you see is on the clutch bolt which I think is a T55.

j-dub
    Nov 2009
    Any chance you could attach a photo w the little plastic cap picked off the rear d? I want to be sure I am digging at the correct cap. I cannot seem to get the cap off--although I can see the loctite, I cannot get that piece to budge.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Here you go.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XX1 Cassette Creak (thought it was bottom bracket)-image-1.jpg  

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    This thread has been very helpful!!! I've had a nasty XX1 creaking, and trying to get rid of it has almost put me in the loony bin!!! I tore down the derailleur, greased every part in there, including all of the clutch parts (of which, the actual clutch/bearing inside was dry and rusted from the manufacturer), changed my bottom bracket (slathered in pipe joint compound), greased my pedals, retensioned my spokes, rebuilt my hub, greased all of the suspension pivots and bearings...until finally...

What solved it:
    -Removed cassette, greased the "HD" part of it. I got the grease in where the actual insert makes contact with the sprocket housing. The piece that spins when the cassette is removed, grease all that sh*t in there where it touches the rest of the cassette...QUIET WILL FOLLOW, it'll keep you from ending up on the street corner talking to yourself!

Hope this thread helps others as much as it did me...good luck.

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    My bike creaks like an old p-o-s. I think its the derailleur as lots of lube quiets it for a while... Usually every 3-4 hours of continuous use it sounds awful. I can usually deal with the noise for a while, but then I've begun to wonder if that derailleur is adding friction to the whole system? Mine is pretty quiet until under heavy load -

I've gone the lube route mainly because this rears its ugly head many, many times throughout endurance races I've been doing. I think its probably time to look at that tension screw and / or have the shop talk to SRAM

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by seano View Post
    My bike creaks like an old p-o-s. I think its the derailleur as lots of lube quiets it for a while... Usually every 3-4 hours of continuous use it sounds awful. I can usually deal with the noise for a while, but then I've begun to wonder if that derailleur is adding friction to the whole system? Mine is pretty quiet until under heavy load -

I've gone the lube route mainly because this rears its ugly head many, many times throughout endurance races I've been doing. I think its probably time to look at that tension screw and / or have the shop talk to SRAM
    Seano - what did you end up doing? Mine started creaking and I've greased the freehub and the derailleur bolt and confirmed that my hanger was straight. I haven't played around with the clutch yet. I wish expensive new parts would just work without any problems!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Yeah... bugged me, too - so the shop warrantied it with SRAM. It helped that the shop mechanic is my 24 hour mechanic and was able to speak rather eloquently about how awful the thing was creaking (I hand him my bike every lap... roughly every hour... so it would go from whisper quiet to rattle trap creaky in 1 hour. During the race he'd spin the thing upside down and sideways in the stand and bathe it in lube). I think the new derailleur solved the prob... now its so quiet I hear the BB clicking Ah well, they look pretty, eh??

mtbr member
    I then took it direct to another shop who are directly connected to the SRAM distributor here in Hong Kong and the derailleur was immediately replaced under warranty - creaking disappeared. They said it was a "known issue" without elaborating. Not a great start with XX1 but a fantastic product and great service too...[/QUOTE]

bro. tavaenga,

Are you from Hong Kong? Which shop are you referring to? the one who is connected with the SRAM distributor in HKG? Can I know the name of the shop?

I am from NOrth Point...thanks

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Mine just started creaking after 1,000 miles. I traced it down to the B-bolt and small plate that the B tension screw rides on. The new Sram service manual shows replacement of the B-bolt and retaining washers now.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    just had the same issue with the same solution as the OP , unfortunately finding this thread after pulling cranks bb etc.

OP did this issue keep coming back?

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    It's interesting that you guys are solving the problem by dealing with the rear der instead of the cassette. Maybe I will try that too. But as an update, I still have this problem; I'm required to remove my cassette and re-grease the interface between the freehub body and the cassette every few months. More often if I get rained on during a ride...

Hopefully you guys have better luck than I do!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    i did not end up pulling the d apart as the noise did not sound anything like the clunk i was hearing on vids and because its on a hard tail so there is little to no rear d movement while pedaling under load

interesting that i got rained on prior to the issue coming up

Pick a wheel size...

XX1 Cassette Creak (thought it was bottom bracket)

Quote Originally Posted by custmpaint16 View Post
    This thread has been very helpful!!! I've had a nasty XX1 creaking, and trying to get rid of it has almost put me in the loony bin!!! I tore down the derailleur, greased every part in there, including all of the clutch parts (of which, the actual clutch/bearing inside was dry and rusted from the manufacturer), changed my bottom bracket (slathered in pipe joint compound), greased my pedals, retensioned my spokes, rebuilt my hub, greased all of the suspension pivots and bearings...until finally...

What solved it:
    -Removed cassette, greased the "HD" part of it. I got the grease in where the actual insert makes contact with the sprocket housing. The piece that spins when the cassette is removed, grease all that sh*t in there where it touches the rest of the cassette...QUIET WILL FOLLOW, it'll keep you from ending up on the street corner talking to yourself!

Hope this thread helps others as much as it did me...good luck.
    I did this.

After removing the cassette, I rotated the cassette carrier with my fingers and there was a nasty squeak - deduced this had to be the culprit.

Smashed a liberal amount of grease in there like custmpaint did.

Boom. Creak gone.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    Same problem here. I suspected the BB and managed to track it down to the cassette. I just liberally greased the outside of the entire freehub and it seems to have fixed the issue.

Funny thing with creaks. We always suspect the BB but it is hardly ever the cause.

mtbr member
    Developed a creak as well and I was thinking it was the BB so I started with the cassette like Mazafakka did.

First thing I found that the cassette was loose compared my previous XX1 set up on my TRC, second it has very light amount of grease on the hub threads.

So I cleaned off the hub and the cassette and installed a good amount of grease and tighten the cassette "snug' and now the noise is gone

MTBR threads to the rescue

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    Hah! Like Mazafakka and others had previously mentioned... it was surprising that some of us solved it fixing the rear derailleur. That was then, this is now: the original creaking I had was nothing compared to this weekend's creak... it's time to remove the cassette and lightly grease everything (this creak is definitely different, too).

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Thank you to all posters, I have just forked out on the X01 groupset to find out (now after I've almost been admitted to the asylum) that it shares the same frickin creaking under load in the smallest two cogs!
    Suffice to say (being an Internet purchase) I will be packing grease everywhere tomorrow in a bid to silence the noise and maintain my mental health in a normal-ish state!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    My creaking just started this past week after a good 6 months and lots of riding. Like most others I have spent quite a bit of time tracking it down. Changed the rear wheel thinking it was the hub but the new wheel had the same creak going about 30 minutes into the ride. I always grease the threads pretty good before installing the cassette. As the creak got louder on my last ride I stopped riding and actually grabbed the cassette on both sides and rocked it back and forth. Make the EXACT same creaking sound! So, mine must be in the cassette to hub mating and not the rear derailleur ??
    Wondering if anyone else who has the creak tried rocking the rear cassette to see if you hear the same creaking sound?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I solved mine almost completely by putting a liberal amount of lith moly greased on hub and inside cassette so we'll see how long that lasts!
    I spoke to the head technical guy at Sram UK yesterday, by pure fluke one of the race organisers at my XC race knew him and sent me to him. I can confirm Sram DO NOT know about the creaking cassette problem, they may replace items for people but until yesterday the tech guys knew nothing of the problem so they have at least been told now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Oh and the little plastic cap on on the clutch part of the XO1 rear mech doesn't come off with a pick, small or large screwdriver! It looks a little different to the xx1 rear mech but the metal around it will give and shard before you can get the cap off! Suffice to say I left this as it was!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2