mtbr member

XX1 BB30 : preload adjuster slips on axle

I've got a brand new BB30 crank - installed it today, and wanted to adjust the preload with the preload adjuster on the non- drive side crank arm.

The preload adjuster turns anti- clockwise (which is odd? Some SRAM cranks have the arrow in the opposite direction) to extend and eliminate the play on the crank. No matter if I turn left or right, the preload adjuster just seems to slip on the axle, nothing happens.

Any help on this?

Found this on the internet :

mtbr member
    Figured it out : the preload adjuster is just slid over the axle (loosen the tightening bolt and you can pull the pre-load adjuster of with two fingers). If the tightening bolt of the pre-load adjuster is too loose, the inner ring just spins on the axle. The tightening bolt has to be loosed only just enough so you can turn the pre-load adjuster.

P.s : the 'newer' models do have the arrow for tightening the adjuster in the opposite direction compared to older BB30 models.

Nuts
    Quote Originally Posted by madskatingcow View Post
    Figured it out : the preload adjuster is just slid over the axle (loosen the tightening bolt and you can pull the pre-load adjuster of with two fingers). If the tightening bolt of the pre-load adjuster is too loose, the inner ring just spins on the axle. The tightening bolt has to be loosed only just enough so you can turn the pre-load adjuster.

P.s : the 'newer' models do have the arrow for tightening the adjuster in the opposite direction compared to older BB30 models.
    Have you found out anymore on this yet, we are having the same issue. Kinda seems like a crap system now, I don't know what was wrong with the old adjuster?
    And I love beer!!

mtbr member
    Well yes, it's as I stated : you can easily pull the pre-load adjuster off the crank, it's not bonded to the axle or anything. Just install the preload adjuster on the crank, with the preload adjuster an the inner ring turned in : tighten the screw for locking the pre-load adjuster a little, so the inner ring won't slip on the axle and assemble the crank. Tighten the pre-load adjuster and done.