Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: XX1 Bashgaurd

mtbr member

XX1 Bashgaurd

Are there any bashguards for the XX1? I know there is the MRP AMG but I'm not worried about the chainguide, more about bashing.

mtbr member
    Sadly this is the same response I got from MRP.

mtbr member
    Yeah the XCG in 36T.

mtbr member
    For some reason I was having a hard time finding something like that, thanks voodoo!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    North Shore Billet will have a new XX1 spider with a removable bash guard very soon. Rings will be available in a few different sizes.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Sick! Too bad I bought a MRP AMG 28-32t ISCG '05 and cut off the top guide.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Will the Gamut P20 bashguard fit on the XX1 crank?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by TANK01 View Post
    Will the Gamut P20 bashguard fit on the XX1 crank?
    No, different bolt pattern and the XX1 crank is chain ring only.
    2013 Banshee Spitfire V2 650b

mtbr member
    Aug 2007
    The chain will protect the ring.

Te mortuo heres tibi sim?
    Quote Originally Posted by Schmucker View Post
    The chain will protect the ring.
    Only to a certain extent. It's still quite possible to bend it, break teeth, or screw up the chain enough that it'll not shift properly and possibly exploderize your rear derailleur.

There are those of us that ride places where bash protection is a good thing. Trying to be smooth and not bash things is obviously a good way to go, but that doesn't always work as planned.

The AMG is probaly the best bet at this point, trim to suit, as long as you have a frame with either a threaded BB or ISCG tabs. If not, have to wait for something else to crop up on the aftermarket.
    Florence Nightingale's Stormtrooper

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by scrublover View Post
    Only to a certain extent. It's still quite possible to bend it, break teeth, or screw up the chain enough that it'll not shift properly and possibly exploderize your nutz on the stem when your chain breaks.
    That's my reason. Failed attempts at going up rock ledges or over pointy topped boulders have left my guard looking like it was dragged behind a car. Partially pealing a chain plate off and then having it snap under power is something I've experienced only once and would recommend avoiding.

mtbr member

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I went with the MRP AMG. It's pretty sweet, but I think I'll take a look at the Wolf tooth components once a couple others get them and can report some feedback. The AMG is nice but didn't fit my Specialized Stumpy EVO exactly the way I wanted it. I have the 2.5mm shim behind the AMG, but the backside is still touching the side of my downtube. If I put another 1mm shim behind the AMG, it moves the guide too far out and it rubs the chain too much on the granny gears. Should my fat ass just get better endurance so I don't have to use my granny gears all the time? Yes, but that is another story. Right now, I'd prefer it not rubbing on the guide. I guess I could cut off the top guide, but I'd like to sell it once I move to something like what Wolf tooth components is offering. I must say though MRP still did a pretty good job here. The skid plate portion only hangs below the chainring about 1/2" so you still get the nice clearance benefit of XX1.
    20130329_062839

mtbr member
    May 2004
    nice pic. ive been looking for something like this. thanks
    High Intensity Interval Training and Weights Program:
    http://www.maxworkoutsguide.com

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    In addition to the Wolf Tooth ring & bashgard, North Shore Billet makes an XX1 spider that accepts a bashguard and SRAM XX1 chainrings. I think it weighs a little more than the Wolf Tooth setup, but it looks a lot stronger and will allow you to change chainring sizes without removing the cranks.

1×11 Spiders and Parts « North Shore Billet

mtbr member
    May 2005
    I've got a North Shore Billet and the spider and 30T bash ring combo together (no crank arm or XX1 ring) weigh a whopping 100 grams

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by skidad View Post
    I've got a North Shore Billet and the spider and 30T bash ring combo together (no crank arm or XX1 ring) weigh a whopping 100 grams
    Photo please.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Not mounted up yet but here you go

XX1 Bashgaurd-img_0110.jpg
    XX1 Bashgaurd-img_0112.jpg

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Thanks for the photos. I have a Wolf Tooth 30t on my 1x10 setup, but I'll probably go with the NSB on a new bike with XX1 so that I can swap chainrings more easily. A 32t should work well for most of the terrain I ride, but for longer rides in other areas with lots of steep climbs I'd probably prefer a 30t or maybe even 28t.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006

XX1 Bashgaurd

XX1 Bashgaurd-imageuploadedbytapatalk1374023807.256381.jpg
    Mrp amg carbon iscg05 28t-32t

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by sanman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374023807.256381.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	816596
    That's a pretty nice looking setup I have to admit.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by sanman View Post
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ImageUploadedByTapatalk1374023807.256381.jpg 
Views:	323 
Size:	153.3 KB 
ID:	816596
    XX1 shouldn't need the chain guide (although some of the more hard-core all-mountain riders might want it), so the MRP XCG Single bash guard might be a better choice.

I'm trying to decide whether to go with this bash guard or go with a bash ring.

Name:  xcg mrp single.jpg
Views: 429
Size:  21.6 KB

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I've come to like the MRP style of bashguard. Reason being, the drivetrain never takes the hit. I previously used the bashguards that are connected to the crank and surround the chain ring, but that means the drive train will still be hit when the bashguard is needed. It saves the chain ring, but not the spider or crank. The easy solution is for me to get better at getting my rear tire up over things I'm attempting to scale, but in the meantime, my bike needs that bashguard protection. I have bent multiple SRAM spiders and messed up a spindle from an impact involving the bashring transferring that energy to the spider and/or the spindle. Having the impact energy transferred throughout the downtube offers more protection, in my humble opinion.

Of course the bashring has its advantages, too. The bashring is lighter and you get more clearance than the bashguard that hangs under the chainring.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Speaking of North Shore Billet, I want to get their 1x10 specific spider for the XX1. That way, I can use standard 104BCD chain rings instead of the SRAM XX1 chain rings. Namely, I'd like to try out the Race Face narrow wide rings or the wolf component rings. Way cheaper than SRAMs and more than likely at the same level of quality.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast