mtbr member
    Aug 2006

XX1 annoying grinding on easiest two gears. New bike

I recently purchased a Santa Cruz Solo in September. I have it loaded up deluxe with Sram XX1. I have about 200 miles on the bike and I have a really bad grinding feeling when in the easiest two gears during climbs. The bike shifts perfect and all other gears seem fine under stress. It is just the high top two gears on with pressure on the pedals. It does not seem to do it on flat ground. I have a 28 toothe front ring and I am a big guy (225 pounds). I am taking it to the LBS on Wednesday but I would like to give them some insight of what it might be.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004

XX1 annoying grinding on easiest two gears. New bike

Chain too short? Improperly adjusted "B" screw. Loose axle that goes through the hub. Is the shifting good?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    mtbbiker pretty much summed the options up, but one other could be dry chain lube. I switched from my regular lube to a friend's dry lube, and the grinding in the 36 and 42 was annoying. Cleaned chain, dried and reapplied favorite lube. Not a peep in a week. But I'd go over the potential issues mtbbiker wrote about first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I'm not really sure how to adjust the "B" screw. I adjusted the barrels both ways and it did not help the grinding. It shifts perfect into all gears. 9 of the gears have no grinding under pressure. Only the easiest two gears. It seems to be getting worse.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    clockwise, you add more tension to the derailleur, counterclockwise the opposite...Funny thing I'm having the same grinding noises but on the 2 small sprockets, if I add tension to the B-screw, the noise goes away but it doesn't shift properly....and going to try with a longer chain as I suspect the chain is too short

Bodhisattva
    Here's the bad news. Despite all the adjusting in the world, the only cure for this grind is likely a new chainring.

This seems to be a unique "feature" of xx1 small rings, particularly the 28 & 30. I, and friends I ride with, have had it happen after several hundred miles of use. There are threads here chronicling the grind as well. My take is that it occurs when the chainring begins to wear, and the the smaller rings create a more acute angle from the larger rear cogs to the front ring, and thus start wearing, and grinding, sooner.

I tried retuning my bike every which way to Sunday, with no results.
    Reversing the chainring direction eliminated the grind for awhile, a new ring cured the issue.

I was able to get one ring warrantied through my dealer, and you may try doing the same. But I don't think I'll have luck trying this a second time. I've heard of this also happening with the Race Face and Wolf Tooth rings too.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    Thanks for the knowledge. I am sure I can do this on my own. It has been driving me crazy. Do the wolf tooth or race face last longer?

Bodhisattva
    Quote Originally Posted by cgodbout View Post
    Thanks for the knowledge. I am sure I can do this on my own. It has been driving me crazy. Do the wolf tooth or race face last longer?
    I can't answer that as I haven't ridden RF or Wolftooth.

It drives me crazy too, and started suddenly. One minute my bike was fine. The next, constant grinding in the large cogs under high torque.

My advice:
    1. Since it's a new bike, ask you dealer to warranty it through SRAM. Don't be shy about referencing threads on MTBR. This worked for me.
    2. If they don't warranty it, reverse the ring direction. This should temporarily ameliorate the situation. This has worked for me and friends as well, but is a short term fix.
    Life....the original terminal illness

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by The Squeaky Wheel View Post
    Here's the bad news. Despite all the adjusting in the world, the only cure for this grind is likely a new chainring.

This seems to be a unique "feature" of xx1 small rings, particularly the 28 & 30. I, and friends I ride with, have had it happen after several hundred miles of use. There are threads here chronicling the grind as well. My take is that it occurs when the chainring begins to wear, and the the smaller rings create a more acute angle from the larger rear cogs to the front ring, and thus start wearing, and grinding, sooner.

I tried retuning my bike every which way to Sunday, with no results.
    Reversing the chainring direction eliminated the grind for awhile, a new ring cured the issue.

I was able to get one ring warrantied through my dealer, and you may try doing the same. But I don't think I'll have luck trying this a second time. I've heard of this also happening with the Race Face and Wolf Tooth rings too.
    My 32 ring was done after about 800 miles. It still worked fine with the older chain, but once I put a new chain on, I had grinding, especially under heavier pedaling and what was interesting was when you saw it from the side (while pedaling), the chain was not being released from the last tooth. I bet someone with knowledge and a file would know how to make it work again…..Unfortunately Sram does not have a convent on-line warranty application or contact #, like Shimano has.