Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Xx1

mtbr member

Xx1

I see SRAM is showing off a new group set called XX1. Looks to be 1x11. Apparently designed for enduro and XC racing. More to come in July.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Id Love to give it a try .... but im probably too much of a weed to be able to ride it

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Have any of you boffins worked out the max and minimum ratios for this new 1 x 11?

And how they compare to 2 x 10?

I'm Slow
    Pinkbike rumor is 10x42 cassette
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

Plays with tools
    I've seen the 10x42 in a couple of places.

The only question I've got is: what's so bad about a FD???

I'm Slow
    Quote Originally Posted by customfab View Post
    The only question I've got is: what's so bad about a FD???
    XX = weight weenie. With this setup you get to drop a ring, F'D, cables, and a shifter. And to a weight weenie, or someone who doesn't use a granny gear, that's alot of weight.
    RideSAMBA.com Mountain Biking in South Alabama.

No longer 26
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    Have any of you boffins worked out the max and minimum ratios for this new 1 x 11?

And how they compare to 2 x 10?

A 28 tooth front ring with a 10-42 cassette works out to a 2x with 24/34 front rings which I run with a 12-36 cassette. A 30x10-42 = 2x 26/36x12-36 etc.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by paulrb02 View Post
    XX = weight weenie. With this setup you get to drop a ring, F'D, cables, and a shifter. And to a weight weenie, or someone who doesn't use a granny gear, that's alot of weight.
    According to the specs they have given out the cassette is 11 gears 10-42 (10,12,14,16,18,21,24,28,32,36,42) instead of XO's 11-42 so you still could have a granny gear depending on your tooth size up front....

Thanks G-Live will have to get the calculator out!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    I've never used SRAM, so please flame the dog P1ss out of me for asking -

How many gears can you cross in one swipe of the thumbshifter?
    ORP

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Grizzy View Post
    I've never used SRAM, so please flame the dog P1ss out of me for asking -

How many gears can you cross in one swipe of the thumbshifter?
    Usually around 4. Same for Shimano I think. But with gripshift, that's another story
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    man, bike investments....

this would be ideal if i can get a king cassette body. if that doesn't happen I"ll just start saving for a new bike. I'm on 1x9 XT/saint mix on a blur XCc and I love it, but little changes are making things difficult...

I swear the industry is avoiding standards to boost sales. 29'ers, now 650b - tapered head tubes... all to make your 3 year old $6000 bike obsolete and force you to buy a new one.

Don't get me wrong, there's progress in some areas... Maybe its just the nature of the sport. i grew up in BMX, and for the most part they have industry standards.

i should quit whining, huh?
    ORP

mtbr member
    XX1 is cool, expensive, but cool. But me and a bunch of my friends around here have been running 1x10 with 11-36 rear and 32 or 34t chain rings and most of us rarely use the 36 on the cassette. I can't imagine I'll ever need the the 42 for where I ride, certainly not often enough to sell what I have and drop $500+ on the new stuff.
    I'm not as educated on cassette/ring combinations as I should be but I guess if running 11-42 and running a smaller ring up front would allow me to put down more power in certain gears or pedal more efficiently and I might actually use a 42 thats one thing, but I can't imagine I would. I may be riding really tame trails but I've yet to come across a climb I couldn't pull with my current 34t ring and 34 max cassette.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Agree with that! Wonder if other cassette options are being considered? Also wonder how compatible this 11 spd chain will be with other non-XX1 parts? That's sort of the crux here. If one could get the crank/ring and chain, and have those items mesh with a 10 spd cassette, even Shimano, not necessarily just SRAM, that could be the ticket! Can't wait for these parts to make their way into the market so folks can start tinkering and figure out what might work or not. Going 1x seems to be an exercise in piecing cool sh!t together, so why should this be that much different. Well, cool sh!t except the dreaded chainguide...getting rid of that is pretty much what this is all about for me.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I've got a feeling there's something about the chain that means it won't work with 2 x 10 systems. I think it's narrower, And from what I can remember the XX1 crank has deepe teeth to avoid the need for a chain guide. I had ideas of a hammerschmidt system with XX1 cassette
    Last edited by Andrewfuzzy; 07-19-2012 at 02:34 AM.

Keep on Rockin...
    Great new idea that could be huge. Shimano could walk away with it though if they stuck with a 10 speed cassette out back, with no change to the rear hub. A 13 (or 14) to 42 range would be great. I still think an 11t tooth out back is a waste of time and a 10t is even worse - especially if it means expensive hub modifications.

banned
    Used my 11 out back today for 30 minutes straight, really could have used a 10. Think I am going to go full in on the 1 x 11. I will use the 39 x 10/42.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Used my 11 out back today for 30 minutes straight, really could have used a 10. Think I am going to go full in on the 1 x 11. I will use the 39 x 10/42.
    Just get a bigger front chainring... no need to upgrade everything
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by David C View Post
    Just get a bigger front chainring... no need to upgrade everything
    Where is the fun in that!

Already have the Roval carbon wheels - the 11 cassette would just slide right on. Would be pretty easy to convert my bike already.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Spinning Lizard View Post
    Where is the fun in that!

Already have the Roval carbon wheels - the 11 cassette would just slide right on. Would be pretty easy to convert my bike already.
    I'm sorry, didn't knew about your bank account.

banned
    Lol, wouldn't cost hardly anything. Sell current cassette, shifters, S-Works crank, FD, RD - in the end probably only cost $100 or so.

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    I like the idea mostly for a manufacturer to design the frame around a 1x ONLY, so that they can shorten the chain stays on a 29er.
    I currently ride a 1x10 with 32 up front and LOVE it. I can't image anyone wishing they had a 2x after riding a 1x, especially if the gearing provided enough range.
    The removable chainrings up front is awesome, I wish my X0 had that!
    Overall I'm glad to see SRAM stepping up with this group and I hope the manufactures run with it!
    www.quinnphoto.smugmug.com
    07 S-Works Enduro SL - Sold
    08 Epic Marathon - Sold
    2012 Stumpy EVO 29er frame up build

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Smile Xx1 and wheels

I fancy getting this group for my seven. A bit confused regarding the wheels. I have chris king hubs what do I need to do? New wheel or modify hub some how? How? Also is the sram bb different to shims I. Have xt crank and bb at present. Cheers for any advice.
    Peter

Sup
    I bet king is working on a cassette body so you could wait or buy a new wheel
    a gxp crank will fit your frame .... the chainrings will not work on your xt if that is what you were asking

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    CK is not in the list though: SRAM XD Driver Body

Sup
    I talked to the sram rep at the Iceman Cometh race in michigan
    he said they are still working with a few companies about licensing
    CK could be one of them
    also in case anyone cars the gxp is shipping and the bb30 will be a couple more weeks

Sj
    I am slow therefore I am

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast