Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

XX1 - 30T ring vs 38/24T

3K views 2 replies 3 participants last post by  jabrabu 
#1 ·
I'm thinking of switching from my 38T front/24T rear to XX on my 29'er.

When using Sheldon Brown's gear calculator, I see that to be as close as possible to my 2x10's 24T front/36T rear combo, a 30T XX1 ring seems to be the best option, although it still seems to be closer to 2x10's 26T front/36T rear.

On my 2x10 I use the 14-16-18T rear cogs the most, almost never the 11-12T cogs. So the XX1 30T seems to be suited the best theoretically.

Who has some experience with a 30T ring, compared to above 2x10 setup? Does the 30T ring still offer enough speed on the flat, and is the jump from 10T-12T not too big (gear spread) ?

#2 ·
Just put on a XX1 32 tooth on my Anthem that replaced a 2*10 26/38. It's great for normal training riding but the 30 tooth front allows the same granny gear ratio as the 26f 36r.
For normal trail riding the 32 front is great but for 3hour plus xtc rides with 2000 plus metres I prefer the 30 tooth. The fronts really easy to change and unless your doing lots of flat road riding you will not miss the other gears. Shifting is great and the only negative is when you hit a sharp unknown climb, with the 2 *10 your can change the front quickly while its a couple of flicks on the Xx1.
I suspect this wont be a problem after a bit of practice.
No more front derailer problems!!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.