mtbr member
    Jan 2004

No good XX1 28t chain grinding?

I'm feeling and hearing some grinding when I'm in the top 2 cogs (42 and 36) when mashing on the pedals. I'm pretty sure it's the front 28t chain ring. It's like I'm feeling the chain links on the chain ring teeth. I'm guessing it's the crappy chain line with it in those cogs, combined w/ the deeper teeth, and small chain ring (more chain wrap). This grinding doesn't happen when I use a 32t front ring. Anyone else seeing this?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by cytoe View Post
    I'm feeling and hearing some grinding when I'm in the top 2 cogs (42 and 36) when mashing on the pedals. I'm pretty sure it's the front 28t chain ring. It's like I'm feeling the chain links on the chain ring teeth. I'm guessing it's the crappy chain line with it in those cogs, combined w/ the deeper teeth, and small chain ring (more chain wrap). This grinding doesn't happen when I use a 32t front ring. Anyone else seeing this?
    I get it on mine with the 28 on my bike, Sounds quite bad when everything is covered in mud.

I have just set up another bike with 28 tooth Wolf tooth on 1 of my other bikes, I must take it out & see how it goes

mtbr member
    I can't say that I have this issue when using my 28t.

mtbr member
    I had it on my 30t but looked closer and noticed a good amount of wear on my chainring, I replaced it and no more noises.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I just got a 30t and no grinding yet. My 28t doesn't look very worn...not that much mileage on it either.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

XX1 28t chain grinding?

I had that on my 30t, and it was especially bad if conditions were a bit muddy. The noise started after about 200k's, and I ended up replacing the chainring after 900k's. I'm not impressed with xx1 durability at all.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Yup, somewhere between 200-300K's it started. Both 36 and 42 under load grind away.
    The ring doesn't look very worn, but I also think it's the chain line. Don't really want to be replacing one every 4 months.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Old "3th world country" trick but it works great, if you chainrings are not afix to the cranks, you can rotate them "a hole" that way the tooth that "do the work" can be reflesh, hell I used to even "flip" my chainrings for even longer durability...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by patineto View Post
    Old "3th world country" trick but it works great, if you chainrings are not afix to the cranks, you can rotate them "a hole" that way the tooth that "do the work" can be reflesh, hell I used to even "flip" my chainrings for even longer durability...
    Awesome, never thought of this!

mtbr member
    My 32 tooth lasted 1500 miles before it started grinding.

My 30 tooth lasted 250. I flipped it around to reverse the rotation until I can secure a replacement.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    I had this problem as well. I followed the instructions in the type 2 clutch adjust thread XX1 knocking/clunking and it went away. I never had any of the knocking or clunking issues described in the thread but felt that the cage had too much resistance to movement so decided to adjust it. I was surprised it eliminated the chain grinding problem I was having. Give it a try.

mtbr member
    i have the grinding noise and sensation on the largest few cogs myself. i run a 34t and have about 600 miles on the set up. just replaced the chain too as it broke prematurely. are you all positive it is the chainring and not the pulleys or something else? also, how can you rotate the chainring with the holes not being consistent? thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by norman2020 View Post
    I had this problem as well. I followed the instructions in the type 2 clutch adjust thread XX1 knocking/clunking and it went away. I never had any of the knocking or clunking issues described in the thread but felt that the cage had too much resistance to movement so decided to adjust it. I was surprised it eliminated the chain grinding problem I was having. Give it a try.
    That thread is very long. Could you please point us the exact posting that describes the procedure you followed ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    XX1 Rings can't be rotated or flipped.

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by jarango View Post
    XX1 Rings can't be rotated or flipped.
    Maybe some are different as I turned mine(gxp xx1) around while I was waiting for a replacement and it worked fine.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by dlennard View Post
    Maybe some are different as I turned mine(gxp xx1) around while I was waiting for a replacement and it worked fine.
    I did the same after my 2nd 28t ring started to grind. I plan on flipping the ring back the other way when it grinds again.

mtbr member
    Although not designed for it, XX1 rings can be flipped over without issue, I guarantee it.
    Race Reports, PreRide Reports, and General Rambling:

www.roostersbikersedge.com
    http://www.ENVEcomposites.com

mtbr member
    Apr 2009

XX1 28t chain grinding?

I have xx1 of pf30 bb. The ring can only be screwed in one particular orientation in order for then holes to match. And it cannot be flipped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Yes, I have experienced this on two XX1 setups. I bought an S-Works Enduro in Oct 2013 and have only rode it 10 times and it is knocking. The other is also an Enduro that I had converted. They both started knocking when I changed the front Chain Ring Gear.
    I have done everything, for instance, measured the chain for wear, insured that I have the proper length of chain, adjusted the cable length, used dry chain oil, cleaned the chain, adjusted the set screw to insure proper spacing between cassette and idler pulleys. Nothing has worked.

mtbr member
    Mar 2014
    Is there any way you can shim the ring in to get a better chain line?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    The S-Works came from the factory with the XX1 and the alignment looks good. The older Enduro also looks good for alignment. I had two different shops confirm the alignment. Both bikes ran silent until I changed the ring gear to a smaller size.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I still think it's a wear issue but interesting enough, after changing lubes from pro gold to white lightening, 90 % of the noise disappeared.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

XX1 28t chain grinding?

I've also just switched lubes recently to see if there's a difference. I was previously using Pedros Go (oil based), now I'm using Finishline PTFE (wax based). Let's see what happens