Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member

XX Cassette...36t Ring

Does anybody know the part number of just the 36t ring? I would like to order one for my cassette, but the local bike store can't seem to find this part.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

mtbr member
    Awesome, thanks.
    CyclingCentralVa.org

The SRAM guy
    Can you clarify why you need the part? We don't actually offer this part alone in the aftermarket. Thanks. I assume you are talking about the large cog for an 11-36 cassette.
    Chris Hilton

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    really?

whats this then

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    classic

mtbr member
    My understanding is that the XX 36T cog isn't typically available at bike shops in the US anymore. I tried everywhere and finally had to buy it on Ebay from a bike shop in the UK (Pro4sport).

bama,
    Why aren't these readily available in the US?

DavidR1,
    Any luck finding one?

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AirGuitar29

bama,
    Why aren't these readily available in the US?
    I'd like to know as well. When the XX group was launched Sram heavily promoted the fact that the aluminum gear was replaceable. Now that people have worn them out they can't get them.

I know it doesn't help you guys that need the part now but there is somebody in europe that should be producing these in ti shortly and his price will likely be close to what the sram one goes for.

The SRAM guy
    We had them available briefly, but it caused a lot of people to try taking the cassette apart just for the fun of it and not putting it back together again properly. If it's not done accurately it will cause a potential bad shift and damage to the parts.
    We have not found that the large cog wears faster than any of the other cogs, even under heavy use. If your large cog is worn, it's likely the other cogs are also worn.

If somebody makes one from Ti at a reasonable price, i have a job for him or her. It's very unlikely to be lighter and fulfill our testing.

If you get one, and insist on trying to replace it, do it carefully. It must be clocked properly so that the pins match the holes on the cog, and the cog must get pressed on dead straight, and all at one time. otherwise you can damage the pins or cogs and the large cog can eventually work it's way loose. Same goes for removing it.
    Chris Hilton

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bama
    We had them available briefly, but it caused a lot of people to try taking the cassette apart just for the fun of it and not putting it back together again properly. If it's not done accurately it will cause a potential bad shift and damage to the parts.
    We have not found that the large cog wears faster than any of the other cogs, even under heavy use. If your large cog is worn, it's likely the other cogs are also worn.

If somebody makes one from Ti at a reasonable price, i have a job for him or her. It's very unlikely to be lighter and fulfill our testing.

If you get one, and insist on trying to replace it, do it carefully. It must be clocked properly so that the pins match the holes on the cog, and the cog must get pressed on dead straight, and all at one time. otherwise you can damage the pins or cogs and the large cog can eventually work it's way loose. Same goes for removing it.
    Jeez man - you guys have videos on the net of how to take apart your forks and you're saying that we can't have a simple gear for a cassette ? Just put a video online of the correct way to do it.

So when I need the cog, and call sram to complain that I can't get one, is the offical script going to be that I need to replace the whole cassette, because you assume that its all worn the same ? There's going to be a lot off pissed off riders if thats the case.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by bama

what should people like me do then?

i have a XX 11-32 Cassette i bought off a forum, was new, unfitted, but becuase im the second owner and no retail proof of purchase i don't have a warranty

i have less than 50 miles on my XX cassette and i have 1x broken tooth on the 32t aluminium ring,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli
    Jeez man - you guys have videos on the net of how to take apart your forks and you're saying that we can't have a simple gear for a cassette ? Just put a video online of the correct way to do it.

So when I need the cog, and call sram to complain that I can't get one, is the offical script going to be that I need to replace the whole cassette, because you assume that its all worn the same ? There's going to be a lot off pissed off riders if thats the case.
    I agree with you completely, especially the comparison between the cog replacement and the daunting task of rebuilding a suspension fork. The first bike I ever built is a full SRAM 2x10 29er and it was easy with the right tools and SRAM’s excellent installation instructions. Later, my aluminum 36T cog happened to wear out before the steel cogs. I bought a replacement 36T XX cassette cog, replaced it myself and thought it was a pretty easy task.

Chris, SRAM has some of the best installation instructions I’ve ever seen. I’m confident your team could provide the replacement part along with first-rate installation instructions.
    Experienced Crasher

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by AirGuitar29
    Chris, SRAM has some of the best installation instructions I’ve ever seen.
    True. They give do it yourselfers more info than any other company. As an experienced wrench I really appreciate that. Which is why this story seems so out of character that it has me questioning the source a little.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Still no replacement rings available from US distributors. I run my bike 1x10 so I use the 36 a lot. I'll probably need a new one next summer and if I can't get it I'm going to be pissed.

mtbr member
    Has anyone made a aftermarket 36T cog in a different material than alu? I spend a lot of time on the largest cog, so the alu is worn out after only half a season....I'm in the market for a replacement. Love the steel part of the cassette, hate the alu-crap.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I wouldn´t mind if large cog was made in steel or titanium despite weight

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Mattias Hellore said months ago that we was waiting to receive a 36t cog from someone so he could make one in ti. Don't know if that ever happened. I think he got banned for talking about his products in the weight weenie forum.

I'm not persuing it now, but if someone else wants to contact him you can google - experimental prototype bike - and find his site.

bog
    mtbr member
    Geez guys, just go buy an XT or XTR especially if you're not all that worried about a tiny bit of extra weight.
    SC Tallboy C : Spec Enduro 29 : Giant Propel Adv SL DA9000

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Geez guys, just go buy an XT or XTR especially if you're not all that worried about a tiny bit of extra weight.
    To already own one means you've considered the pro's and con's before parting with the cash and found it worthwhile. So the girls and guys who already own an XX cassette would be very interested in a 36T cog replacement, even if they also run other cassettes.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bog View Post
    Very helpful

Do you realize that sram sold thousands of these before shimano had 10 speed cassettes on the market? And that sram publicized that the big cog would be easily available and replaceable?

mtbr member
    I too have run into this issue, just replaced my chain and only the 36t was skipping. LBS says they've discontinued them. WTF SRAM??? Do you think I'm going to buy another one of these - NOT!

I've voted with my feet, and now am running an XTR, which goes on in pieces that are replaceable.

mtbr member
    I have ordered a titanium 36t XX-cog from Hellöre. 8 weeks delivery, 100 euro inclusive shipping. Will post pics when I get it in April. Around 50g.

Experimental Prototype

I am really curious to see bama coming up with a good reply to why a replacement part not being available. It is really hard to see why SRAM is choosing to screw it's customers over by not supporting their product.
    Last edited by simenf; 02-29-2012 at 12:06 AM.

~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    Very helpful

Do you realize that sram sold thousands of these before shimano had 10 speed cassettes on the market? And that sram publicized that the big cog would be easily available and replaceable?
    Yep, exactly why Ive invested in them as well... Seriously what is SRAM thinking right now??

First they don't make Black forks anymore and now this Just this year SRAM has lost all my Fork business and now all my Cassette business. Keep it up SRAM and you wont have any business left
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace5high View Post
    Yep, exactly why Ive invested in them as well... Seriously what is SRAM thinking right now??

First they don't make Black forks anymore and now this Just this year SRAM has lost all my Fork business and now all my Cassette business. Keep it up SRAM and you wont have any business left
    I hear ya bro. I dumped my XX brakes in favor of Magura MT-8's and I'm not looking back. No more turkey gobble, rubbing brake pads, constant bleeding. What kills me is that every time my LBS called SRAM about turkey gobble (on multiple SRAM models on multiple bikes), they always acted like they had never heard the phrase turkey gobble before. Granted, they would always be happy to send another set of pads or rotors, but they were playing dumb to the whole problem.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    I hear ya bro. I dumped my XX brakes in favor of Magura MT-8's and I'm not looking back. No more turkey gobble, rubbing brake pads, constant bleeding. What kills me is that every time my LBS called SRAM about turkey gobble (on multiple SRAM models on multiple bikes), they always acted like they had never heard the phrase turkey gobble before. Granted, they would always be happy to send another set of pads or rotors, but they were playing dumb to the whole problem.
    Just ordered the mt-8s. Are they as good as they appear to be?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast