Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    ~Reformed Mechanic~
    Quote Originally Posted by dirtyjack View Post
    I hear ya bro. I dumped my XX brakes in favor of Magura MT-8's and I'm not looking back. No more turkey gobble, rubbing brake pads, constant bleeding. What kills me is that every time my LBS called SRAM about turkey gobble (on multiple SRAM models on multiple bikes), they always acted like they had never heard the phrase turkey gobble before. Granted, they would always be happy to send another set of pads or rotors, but they were playing dumb to the whole problem.
    My problem with SRAM is that I love their products, its their corporate decisions that suck.
    I do all my own stunts, but never intentionally...

locked - time out
    Aug 2011

MT-8 brakes

"Just ordered the mt-8s. Are they as good as they appear to be?"

Just as light as the Sram XX, BUT w/ more braking power, very quiet, AND I don't have to freaking bleed the brakes every couple of months.

MT-8s are my brakes from now on.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurine1 View Post
    "Just ordered the mt-8s. Are they as good as they appear to be?"

Just as light as the Sram XX, BUT w/ more braking power, very quiet, AND I don't have to freaking bleed the brakes every couple of months.

MT-8s are my brakes from now on.
    I agree. I have been riding them for a few months and love them.

mtbr member
    My XO 11-36 was skipping, looked down and saw this:
    XX Cassette...36t Ring-imageuploadedbytapatalk1343457366.574373.jpg

Anyone seen this happen? I mean, why should that be the cog to fail?
    NSMBA Member

74 & 29 pilot
    Disregard. I thought you were talking about the wear on the aluminum cog. Just noticed the the missing part of the other cog. Rock or something caught in there, or it was just a defective cog. Time for a titanium XTR cassette.
    MTBP
    "GIVE ME LIBERTY OR GIVE ME DEATH!"
    Turn on the truth: http://www.ronpaulchannel.com/

mtbr member
    Aug 2006

Need an aluminum 36T, SRAM!!!

OK, I now own TWO PG-1099 cassettes in 36T.

Yesterday, during my ride, I lost the ability to stay in my next to lowest cog... On examination, I found it was due to a broken tooth on the 36T...

Look, I know the 36T is aluminum, but you SAID there'd be replacements... I have the tools and the knowlege and experience... I just need the dang part.

Here's what happened to mine... (BTW, less than 125 mile son this cassette, and this is an XC bike... not even riding anything super tough/rough.

In profile:

What's the word on that titanium part? The old XTR had titanium cogs on the top two gears... never had a problem.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    That looks like a rock hit it. But I'd still call sram to complain that the whole cassette is now useless because the part they said would be replaceable isn't available.

mtbr member
    Just a follow up: SRAM warrantied my XO cassette.
    NSMBA Member

mtbr member
    I dont know much about this company but it does look promising. Hope this helps you.
    Action Tec Home Page

mtbr member
    Oops! Sorry guys I just realized that they only offer individual cogs up to a nine speed cassette. But they do offer a 39 tooth titanium! Pretty cool... With that in mind I'm gonna leave my previous post up.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

test

test post

Rigid in Evergreen
    Actiontec now has a 36t option under "Single Titanium Cogs"... has anyone tried it?

I'm pretty F'ing disappointed with SRAM... I've been wrenching on bikes for 20+ years now and they tell me that they won't sell me a common replacement part to fix something that doesn't work because they are afraid that I "might" do it wrong?

Seriously guys, disposable $350 cassettes?

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    serious weak sauce SRAM

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    I just pulled my cassette, carefully removed the 36T cog with a taped flatblade screwdriver, a little bit at a time while rotating around the perimeter, cleaned everything up very nicely with the inside of the cassette wide open, replaced the cog, carefully pressing it back on with my thumb at each pin point, and then seating it with small channel locks with taped jaws, again a little bit at a time while rotating. Alignment is easy, as the one flat/short pin on the main body lines up with the single blind hole on the 36T cog. Piece of cake. My only concern would be that it loosens up if you do it to the same cog often , i.e. to clean the inside of the cassette. There are many normal maintenance tasks that are more difficult than this.

mtbr member

XX Cassette...36t Ring

Posted in the wrong thread: here it goes again.

Got my XX 36t titanium replacement cog from hellore.se this week. The XX cassette retails for an unbelievable USD670 over here, so the USD130 paid incl shipping was ok to save a half season use cassette from being disposable.

The cog has an aluminium spider for more contact area against the boss. The cog weighs 87g, 31g more than the original alu cog 56g. Not bad. The finish is good.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

simenf - brainwashed by the big wheel mafia.

I <3 dirt

XX Cassette...36t Ring

That looks awesome. Is this something he makes or a one off? I've seen regular 36t rings on his site but not one to match up to the xx cassette.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    It is something he makes, although on order.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by simenf View Post
    It is something he makes, although on order.
    Yea mattias !!!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Post edited. No for sale spam :
    See Mtbr Posting Guidelines , specifically #3....
    Last edited by CdaleTony; 03-14-2013 at 07:41 PM. Reason: spam

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by danridesbikes View Post
    really?

whats this then

How did that replacement 36t from the uk work out for you?

mtbr member
    Aug 2012
    How well has that been working out for you? I plan on doing the same in the near future, but woukd love to hear some more feedback.

mtbr member
    I don't see this as spam. He's posting available options to a known problem. Now if he was Mattias that would be different.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Just put a 3rd new chain on my 15 month old XX drivetrain and now my chain always skips on the 36tooth cog. Was thinking the derailer might be the cause since it was not as strong anymore and the small philips screw that holds the cage post has developed a half moon flat spot. Now after reading here it makes more sense that Ive just worn the 36t cog(should have replaced chain sooner).

Even though to my eye it seems not that bad , is it most likely to cause chain skipping under power?

Every other cog works fine it seems stupid to give sram another $400 for one cog. Can a new cog really be put on without special tools?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I just had to replace my XX cog stack due to worn chain too. These thinner 10 speed chains don't last like they used to folks. My lbs has been watching this issue over the past two years and has figured out that if you ride alot you need to replace your 10 speed chain AT LEAST twice per season to get maximum cog stack longevity. XX stack = way cool, light, RACING equipment. Not built for the long haul IMHO. Factory racers get this stuff for free and replaced often. I am now riding an XT stack and bought a dropper post with the savings... If we could just replace the individual cogs on the XX stack...

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    You are right, it looks like two years is all any of the hard working XX stuff will last. Turns out my rear derailer cage post was worn out along with the pin that holds it and a replacement cage was $190 which means you may as well look for a new derailer.

X0 is cheaper but I wonder if it has more legs. I bought the new X0 cassette which was only $250 but since the material is the same....

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast