DaFaJa

xo & x9 type 2 rear derailleur

I am in the market for a new rear set up, Would like to go with a type 2 rear set up, But after looking @ all the reviews on line, There's not any positive feed back on them..Does any one on here have any good reviews on these units?
    Last edited by Corbinworks; 03-31-2013 at 05:49 AM.
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I have been happy with my x9 type 2. I have been using this for 600 miles on xx1 cranks running a 10 speed with a 1051 chain. Quiet and fairly easy to dial in. No chain slap and no chain drops. The clutch is very stiff which was awkward when I first installed it but I guess that is what eliminates the chain slap. I'm not sure if the bad reviews are all from full suspension bikes but I have a hardtail.

DaFaJa
    I am running the xx1 & 1051 as well, Just looking to upgrade my XT derailleur, So out of the 100 people that have looked @ this post, only one so far so anything good to say about it them..I am not finding any good reviews on Google..I am going to call the SRAM rep today for Tampa and talk to him about some of the concerns I have about making the switch..(Needajod) thank you for the info..
    2012 Trek Superfly 100 Carbon/ xx1 / xo type2
    Tampa FL USA

I <3 dirt

I've had my x9 short cage type 2 since they came out; first on a hard tail and then on my fs bike. It worked great on my hardtail (it actually replaced a shimano shadow + that I didn't like) and I initially had the knock issue on my fs bike but after adding a set of links I no longer have that problem. I think when it cycles thru the end of its swing is where the knock comes from. Adding the set of links on my bike brought it back in its movement and all is well and my chain length is still ideal.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    I've had my x9 short cage type 2 since they came out; first on a hard tail and then on my fs bike. It worked great on my hardtail (it actually replaced a shimano shadow + that I didn't like) and I initially had the knock issue on my fs bike but after adding a set of links I no longer have that problem. I think when it cycles thru the end of its swing is where the knock comes from. Adding the set of links on my bike brought it back in its movement and all is well and my chain length is still ideal.
    Was your chain correctly sized on your FS bike or was it too short to begin with? Meaning, did you have to make the chain longer than you normally would to compensate for the knocking?

Also, did the knocking happen in only the big cog? The reason I ask is because the knocking on my XX1 happens in all of the cogs, not just the big one, so it would seem like it wouldn't because the chain is too short.

Thanks!

I <3 dirt

It was sized correctly when it was knocking so big-big then add a set of links. I added one more set. Im really never in the smallest 2 cogs but I did have the knock on all the others. I run a single ring up front.

Did you see the disassembly photos in the xx1 knocking thread? You could always give that a shot.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikemtb999 View Post
    It was sized correctly when it was knocking so big-big then add a set of links. I added one more set. Im really never in the smallest 2 cogs but I did have the knock on all the others. I run a single ring up front.

Did you see the disassembly photos in the xx1 knocking thread? You could always give that a shot.
    Thanks for the info. I did see the photos and may end up dissembling the derailleur, but the bike is new so I figure I'll ride it for a while and see if I notice any change. I'd like to avoid opening up the derailleur if I can.

By the way, did you compress the shock to account for chain growth (if your bike does that) when you initially set up the chain?

I <3 dirt

I ride a vpp intense spider 29 and yes I accounted for growth the best I could lol
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1