aka Willy Vanilly

XO Trail brakes and Grip Shift Compatability?

Anyone use both the XO trail brakes (with the tool-less reach adjuster knob) and grip shift? Just bought a set of the brakes and want to run them with my existing 9 speed grip shift set up. I typically run the brake lever clamps just inside the grip shifters (almost touching) and that puts the tips of the brake lever just where my index finger tips are.

If there is going to a problem, is there any way to remove that (seemingly oversized) reach adjuster? Any input appreciated.
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I have the newer X0 Gripshift and the Elixer 3 braker levers with the same knob. I have no problems running these two together as the lever is long enough to come just over the edge of the shifter (on the grip side). Right where my finger is. I believe the 9 spd style shifters (I have on my old bike) would be even better because the side of the shifter closest to the lever doesn't have the tapered piece the new Gripshift does.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

aka Willy Vanilly
    Thanks Knight. I think I follow. If you have a minute, would you be able to snap a pic for me?
    Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

No talent hack
    Nov 2010

Hope this works for you. The lever comes to the edge of the shifter on the new set of X0s. This is the perfect spot for 1 finger all the time and 2 fingers if I need them.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

aka Willy Vanilly
    Thanks Knight.
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

mtbr member
    Which grip is that?

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    ODI Lock On with the Rogue grips. Thicker for my big hands... the Ruffian is a bit thinner. (and yes, you can get just about any color of lock rings)
    Fat guys need bikes too.

aka Willy Vanilly
    Just to close the loop... the XO trail levers (with reach adjustment knob) will NOT fit with the older style grip shifters. The knob hits the inside of the shifter body, pushing the lever almost 1/2" inward. Now next question is whether or not I can put the Elixir CR lever on the XO trail caliper... :-P
    E. F. Schumacher

sXe

mtbr member
    Jul 2004

There is a grip shift specific version

I figured out that Sram is making a version of the XO Trails specifically for Grip shift. They don't have the adjustment knob but you can make the reach the adjustment with a 3mm allen wrench which is different from some of the older elixirs that took a really small allen. I have a new set for sale on Ebay right now.
    2 wheels

Ski during the off-season
    I had Avid Elixer 5 brake levers, and when I got the 2x10 grip shifts, I had a similar issue where I had to mount the brake levers an nearly a 1/2" inward. I could reach the brakes, but was not as comfortable with reach. In the end, I purchased a set of Shimano brakes... (I really miss the turkey call of the Avid brakes -- it signaled everyone ahead of me that I coming around the corner ;-)

Ooops

I had Knight511 ping me about posting a picture of my gripshifts with the Shimano brakes. Well, lets just say facts speaker louder than words -- it appears that due to the shorter XTR brakes levers, that they are actually harder to reach than the Avid Elixer 5's that they replaced ;-/ I could have avoided them shame and not posted the pictures, but hey, its not the first time I have been wrong--just ask my wife and kids ;-O To my defense, the XTR are stronger brakes and the extra braking power took a little getting used to -- I have seriously considered removing the larger disks (200mm F / 180mm R) and going with 160mm F & R...

If you are looking for longer Shimano levers, you can always go with the 'trekking' version -- they are about an inch longer than the normal XT levers. See the following thread for pictures: XT trekking levers=better w/gripshift!

You can find these levers on ebay and wiggle.com -- they are made for the European market: wiggle.com | Shimano BL-T785 XT Disc Brake Levers With Hose and Oil | Brake Levers

BTW, I did go with a shorter grip rather than the grips provided by SRAM. I initially like the shorter grips, but I am finding that when I am going downhill over rooted sections, that the frt shifter sometimes mis-shifts -- there is nothing like peddling and all of sudden feeling no resistance when you shift from your big ring down to your small ring. Additionally, I recently purchased a new set of gloves that actually have some padding now, that the Oury grips now feel a little too big. There is always something to tweak ;-)
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails XO Trail brakes and Grip Shift Compatability?-20130810_121737_edited.jpg  

XO Trail brakes and Grip Shift Compatability?-20130810_121756_edited.jpg  

XO Trail brakes and Grip Shift Compatability?-20130928_145004_edited.jpg  

XO Trail brakes and Grip Shift Compatability?-20130928_145307_edited.jpg  

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    FWIW, the Shimanos looks to be fine for single finger braking (as the Shimanos are designed for single finger braking). A little short maybe, but dialing the lever into the bars a bit would help. Of course, I have large hands, so my view may be skewed. I actually got a picture from another user that runs SLX brakes with the XX1 Gripshift. His looks like he brought the levers a little in and they look like they would be just fine.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

The Shimano's do well with single finger braking, and I paid attention to that while riding this evening -- if I needed to 2-finger brake, it would be tougher, but with the newer Shimano's, there is limited need for 2-finger braking. Also, with grip shifts, I would rather have more fingers ready to shift than brake.

One thing to note about the pictures above, is that the Shimano's are more angled down -- when I had the Avids mounted, I had been playing with different angles and had them just slightly below parallel in the pix above. The Shimanos are at nearly a 45 degree angle down.

Knight511 - Good comment on bringing the lever more into the bar -- that may allow me to more naturally move my left hand out some more to avoid even touching the front grip shifter. While the indexed shifting behaves beautifully for the rear shifter, for me at least, I am finding that the frt shifter is super sensitive to shifting from the big ring down to the small ring, enough so, that I have even thought about putting the left trigger shifter back on... ;-/

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    It is NOT just you.... my front (same X0 you have) gets "tickled" some times and shifts accidently pretty easily. I usually catch it as soon as the shifter moves and the chain doesn't drop to the small ring before I shift it back to big. It is only ever big to small, never small to big... but I think that is normal. I will never go back to triggers though...
    Fat guys need bikes too.

I did read in another thread, that someone was thinking of using the frt shifter from an older model X0 shifter set (i.e., non-indexed 3x9). I had an older X0 frt shifter that sat in my box of misc parts for a 1-2 years, but I installed it on my old bike earlier this year, just prior to deciding to get a new bike. I think I still have my SL9 "barrel" shifter, so maybe I will give it spin... ;-)