Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Fat Guy Riding

XG-1080 durability?

They've been out there long enough, wondering if anyone else is seeing durability issues on their XG-1080 cassette?

I love the weight and shifting of the SRAM cassette (I'm on a Shimano XT right now as a substitute while my cassette is off to SRAM for warranty replacement), but I have some durability concerns

I've got a tooth missing completely on the 28t ring and another chipped tooth on the 16t ring after less than 200 miles. I'm not a complete dum dum when shifting, but I have made a couple of ill-timed upshifts (I can't correlate the damage to the specific incidents, I just happened to notice the damage recently). My biggest concern is that on occasion, I will have these ham fisted shifts and never had any issues with either my SRAM XG-1050 or Shimano XT 9 speed stuff.

Anyone else having issue or did I just get the odd bum part built Friday at 2 PM after a 4 beer lunch?
    Quote Originally Posted by Empty_Beer
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

mtbr member
    I've got only 100 miles or so on my new build. I'm really counting on these steel cogs to last a lot longer for the price.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I'm interested in hearing others' results too. I've got full X0 2x10 w/ the XG 1080 11-36 and 1091R chain. I normally change all my chains every six months but figured I'd play it safe w/ the 10 speed stuff and swap at least the first chain early.

I've had the kit built up on a 6" travel bike for just over three months now, plenty of long rides, steep climbs, mud, etc. I didn't experience any skipping yet, just noticed a bit more noise and shifts didn't seem quite as crisp lately.

I threw on a new chain over the weekend, shifted fine in the stand, but sure enough as soon as I laid down power in the granny gear it started skipping. All other gears are fine regardless of load, and towards the end of the ride it seemed like maybe things were starting to stretch & gell a bit; however, after reading the OP I'm going to have a closer look at the cassette tonight to see if it's thrashed or missing teeth anywhere.

Hopefully it's just a break-in thing w/ the new chain, but I've never had that problem on 9 speed w/ XTR/Dura Ace chains, at least as long as I didn't let the wear get out of hand. I ride about six days a week but spread it out over several different bikes, so three months of life from a top shelf drivetrain would be less than cool.

That said, I love everything else about the 2x10 system; I planned to upgrade all my bikes as their groupos wear out, assuming this chain skipping deal is a fluke. We shall see...

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric. View Post
    Hopefully it's just a break-in thing w/ the new chain, but I've never had that problem on 9 speed w/ XTR/Dura Ace chains, at least as long as I didn't let the wear get out of hand. I ride about six days a week but spread it out over several different bikes, so three months of life from a top shelf drivetrain would be less than cool.

That said, I love everything else about the 2x10 system; I planned to upgrade all my bikes as their groupos wear out, assuming this chain skipping deal is a fluke. We shall see...
    Hey Eric, are you sure you have everything adjusted correctly? Maybe the low limit screw is off? You know how new drivetrains can be if not carefully prepped from the get go.

Totally agree about the 2X10. I had thought about a 2x9 years ago, since I barely use the big ring on my triple (or the granny), so this is now heaven. I now find myself using both chainrings on my double equally. I have a Pivot Mach 5 with a whole XTR 970 (standard 44/32/22) setup and it's still smooth as silk. Dont' think it would ever wear out! I hope not since it cost me enough...

I do have a Spec Epic Carbon with the new 2x10. I mixed and matched though (XTR crankset 38-26, XTR FD, X.0 shifters & RD, KMC X10SL chain and of course the XG-1080 cassette). So far everything is working so wonderfully.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Adjustment was the first thing I checked, actually tried tweaking the low gear limit screw a couple times on the trail with no luck. It's definitely skipping off the cassette and not the chain ring, and last night when I got home I took a close look at the cogs. Modern cassettes (and chain rings for that matter) are so carved and contorted looking that it's hard to tell if it looks normal or not, but there aren't any missing teeth.

I'm going to try to run over to a local SRAM shop to see what a new cassette looks like, just for comparison purposes; tonight I'll be riding, so I'll soon see if these new chains just need some serious stretching. I guess they've got to be tough as hell to handle the crazy loads that the 2x10 cross-chaining creates without snapping. Honestly that was in the back of my head every time I would lay down power in the big/big gear combo, for about the first month of riding the new kit. But that gear feels SO right for so many situations, it's impossible to resist!

Hoping for a skip-free climb tonight, fingers crossed...

Fat Guy Riding
    Lost teeth on a second 1080 after 4 rides. Shifted crazy careful. Very disappointed, I was hoping my first one was a fluke. I'm sure SRAM will take care of me and I suspect they'll want to figure out if its me or the cassette.
    A bike company should come out with a bike named after Mikey. the Santa Cruz Vandeman. That would pisss him off to no end.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jschwart73 View Post
    Lost teeth on a second 1080 after 4 rides. Shifted crazy careful. Very disappointed, I was hoping my first one was a fluke. I'm sure SRAM will take care of me and I suspect they'll want to figure out if its me or the cassette.
    Any chance you can post a few pix?

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by jschwart73 View Post
    Was it off of the big aluminum cog, or one of the smaller steel cogs?

Fat Guy Riding
    Steel cogs in all cases. I will work with my shop on warranty with SRAM and let you all know what they figure out is going on, if its me or something with the cassette.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Update on my 1080 skipping situation:

When I took a close look at the cassette I noticed one tooth on the 36t bent outward (away from centerline), toward the other cogs. Initially I thought this may be angled by design but after looking at some pictures online it became clear that it didn't start out that way. All the other cogs looked and shifted fine, so I held my breath and bent the big one back into shape. I was worried about bending the entire cog and ruining it but as it turns out it actually straightened pretty easily with some wide vice grips. Sure enough I was back to perfect shifting immediately, apparently having the chain actually engage the teeth as opposed to ride across the backside of them makes a significant difference, who knew?!

So now I'm left wondering how it happened or what I can do to prevent it in the future. I must assume that since it was shifting fine before the chain swap, somehow I hamfisted my first granny shift with the new chain; not out of the question, but sure seems highly coincidental. Whatever the case it's back to the smooth operation I fell in love with, amazing how good 2x10 is when it's on form. From here out I'll try to cut down on using the big/big combo in hopes of minimizing wear. Looking at the cassette up close you can see a pronounced difference between the steel gears and the aluminum - the steel ones still look new, the big cog... shows a bit more abuse.

JS, what kind of chain are you running? I can't imagine how you could be snapping off the steel teeth like that unless the chain just isn't interfacing properly, but I'm sure that would have been the first thing checked... by all means post up if you hear some kind of resolution.

Fat Guy Riding
    SRAM chain, chainline is right and shifting is aligned.

Doesn't make much sense to me either and now that it's two of them wrecked, it's either a big problem in general for the 1080 or a big problem with either my bike or my shifting.

Next up is a Shimano XT cassette and see if I can mangle it. If that does it, then I've narrowed it down to either me or the bike and I'll go from there.

Trail Junkie
    I am interested to know what the deal is with this cassette..if its the norm. I have had 1.5 seasons on my XX and its been flawless (XO group).
    Santa Cruz Tallboy c
    Lynskey Pro29 SS
    Cervelo S2
    Spech Tricross Exp
    Raleigh Rx1.0

Fut. Bikes:
    Misfit diSSent
    Soma ES

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

cassette truing 101

I noticed some mild skipping recently, again in the big cog also; took a close look, sure enough one or two teeth were bent again. Once again I used some wide smooth pliers and straightened it out, all good.

It's like truing a brake rotor now, a little tweaking makes all the difference. I'm thinking that the combo of large cog/little chain ring allows sufficient torque to pull the teeth out of whack when you shift under full load. Or perhaps it's the big-big combo that's so addicting to use, maybe the chainline is pulling at such an angle that the side-loading is bending the cog? Dunno, I just know that's now the first place I look when I get a hint of skip.

Funny, but it's frustrating in a good way I guess, kind of like dropper post problems - you get so dependent on them when they work that it's extra annoying when they don't perform flawlessly. If you never knew how good you could have it, you'd probably be happy with them performing less than 100%! Honestly, my X0 10 speed on its worst day is still light years ahead of the stuff we were riding ten years ago on its best day. Back then a hard effort, assuming you could get the traction, would either earn you a broken chain and/or freehub body; either way, at least one knee was going into the handlebars, hard!

Wear-wise my cassette still looks good, so unless one of these teeth actually breaks off I'll just keep straightening them every so often. I'll be interested to see if Sram's made any improvements metal-wise when it's finally time for replacement.

Right now my biggest issues is rear cables breaking... source for another thread.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

broken teeth on 1080 cassette

I have an XX drivetrain, but with an XO xg-1080 cassette. Installed on my bike last January, in mid-September, a tooth snapped clear off on the 28th ring, then about 2 weeks ago, I lost two teeth on the 16t ring. I'm a XC rider and keep my drivetrain super clean too. I'm going to try an XX cassette now, and new chain of course, as well as a new front 39t ring as that is worn well on my XX cranks and hope that the XX cassette lasts a little longer.
    I've never had cassette teeth every snap off like they have on this.

Fat Guy Riding
    Quote Originally Posted by yoeddy20000 View Post
    I have an XX drivetrain, but with an XO xg-1080 cassette. Installed on my bike last January, in mid-September, a tooth snapped clear off on the 28th ring, then about 2 weeks ago, I lost two teeth on the 16t ring. I'm a XC rider and keep my drivetrain super clean too. I'm going to try an XX cassette now, and new chain of course, as well as a new front 39t ring as that is worn well on my XX cranks and hope that the XX cassette lasts a little longer.
    I've never had cassette teeth every snap off like they have on this.
    I suspect they had a bad batch, my 3rd one seems to be holding up much better than my first two.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    any updates on the durability of the 1080 cassettes??

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    Mine just failed yesterday. It was a completely new transmission (all Sram X9) and the 1080 cassette (36 tooth cog) bent. I was in the small 24 tooth chain ring at the time. And I never used the big (38 tooth) ring with the 36 tooth cog. Great system except for this very weak link. By the way the system had less the 20 miles on it. Very disappointing.

RC

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Cheers, I guess it's not a good idea to save weight with one of those at this moment, I'm afraid...

mtbr member
    Mar 2009

SRAM WILL warranty

If you have lost teeth on your 1080 cassette, give SRAM a call, they are well aware of the heat treating issues on the earlier 1080 cassettes and teeth breaking off. They were very nice to me and once I went to the shop and had them call SRAM, they then sent me a NEW cassette. I was impressed. So far, no issues with this cassette.

ban
    mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    if Sram is well aware of its product failing, they should make a recall on the 1080 cassettes, moreover when there are more users that are reporting broken teeth in spite of being recently bought

kgm
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Recalls don't happen unless there is a grave safety issue. There is very little that can happen from your cassette breaking teeth. This is how reality works.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Have you guys had any issues with side-to-side play with the cassette installed? The first three cogs are separate, and the 7 cogs that are held by the aluminum sleeve seems to be the culprit. Any information would be appreciated.

Lusus Naturae
    Have had 0 problems with my XG-1080, running with I think 1091R chain and 26/39 XX crankset. Use on my niner for XC racing.

I was recently looking to buy another one and found this thread. I paid $200 for the first one but it seems pricier now, damn! These babies rock, so light.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by NoBalance View Post
    Have had 0 problems with my XG-1080, running with I think 1091R chain and 26/39 XX crankset. Use on my niner for XC racing.

I was recently looking to buy another one and found this thread. I paid $200 for the first one but it seems pricier now, damn! These babies rock, so light.
    figured out what happened, the spline on a Mavic Crossmax is aluminum so my old cassette had dug grooves on the spline so the SRAM 1080 which had tighter tolerances wasn't sitting propertly, so there was play. It was suggested to me to use a metal file to smooth out the spline and this worked. So far so good.

mtbr member
    I was the first person to reply on this thread. Can't believe time flies! Well, my cassette is toast finally. Not sure how many miles I put in...didn't ride on it much from Aug-Nov, but the 36t is a wreck and the 32t is in shambles as well. Can't say it's very durable for the price. Not sure if it was worth the money for me since I'm not a weight weenie racer...but they sure are pretty. Just ordered 2 XT cassettes from Tree Fort for $65 each when they price matched Nashbar.

Seems like the XG-1080 has gone up in price in most places. I got mine originally off Upgrade Cycles for $204 and eBay used to sell them at about $190. Now even eBay is at least $225 each.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast