mtbr member

X9 vs X0 3*10 Trigger Shifters

So, on top of the beautiful Crank Brother Candy 11's and shock pump I got for Christmas, I have a bit of money to spend on upgrading my bike. It's currently a stock '11 Specialized Epic Comp (26). While I've been impressed with the stock Sram drivetrain (had only ridden Shimano until now), I'm considering upgrading and looking for some advice.

Currently it has X7 shifters, X7 direct mount front derail., X9 long rear, the custom Sram cranks, and Shimano HG81 cassette.

My question is wether there is a big difference between X7 and X9, or do I save for X0? From what I have read, I will notice a "crisper" shift with the X0, but will I with the X7 front? I don't have the budget to upgrade the whole drivetrain (and would have bought a model up had I had the budget to do so at the time), so looking to to make a smart, noticable upgrade with the components I have on the bike and save to upgrade the others over the next few years as needed (cassette is on my radar, and wheel set is the current long-term savings goal).

Thanks for any advice you can provide
    '02 Rockhopper Comp
    '11 Specialized Epic Comp 26

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    For 2012 the X9 front shifters will have bearings instead of bushing. I dont think you will notice much going from X7 to X9.
    My 2011 X9 10speed shifters definitely dont have the crisp shifting as my older X0 9 speed.

But they still work very well and cost a fraction of the X0!

mtbr member
    I have XT shifters, derailleurs and cassette on my rockhopper (along with a RaceFace crank set), and I love how they shift together (shifters are 4 years old, derailleurs are 2, cassette was last year), so was wondering if upgrading to all X9 would give me smoother shifting as apposed to the mixed-match set up that came stock on the bike. that means a cassette and front derailleur upgrade, but perhaps wheels can wait a season longer.
    '02 Rockhopper Comp

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    if you like how they shift together on your rockhopper then leave them alone. XT is good stuff. Depending on what wheels/tyres you are running you might find better advantages in upgrading these

mtbr member
    sorry, should have been clear. the upgrade i'm doing is to my new epic, have a rockhopper with XT that I am comparing it to. Getting use to the Sram after riding so long on Shimano, it's just a matter of finding the best upgrade. think I'll hold out, as the deal I found was on 2011 X9, so if not an upgrade to bearings, then will wait a bit.
    '02 Rockhopper Comp