mtbr member
    Nov 2011

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! X9 Violent upshifting!

SRAM's website has very little or no info on troubleshooting. I've looked high and low on youtube for adjustments but only found setup information. If I'm missing anything please give me a hand.

When I'm upshifting to the smallest ring on the cassette and it's under load, the chain violently shifts so hard it almost throws my feet off the pedals. I followed the steps in relation to the high/low settings and the chain gap. I've had to adjust the cable tension manually at the back because the barrel adjuster doesn't help. Any ideas would be apprecaited.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Adjust your shifting technique so you shift the moment before you need the low gear. If you're pressing really hard on the pedals it will resist changing cogs. Its physics. Try shifting while the pedaling is easy and if it still pops and grinds there is probably a mechanical problem which can be resolved by a shop mechanic or more experienced friend.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I was going to replace the cable but wasn't sure how often they need to be replaced. I figure the cable is cheap and it couldn't hurt. Their was a nick at the bottom of the cable housing where it goes into the derailleur when I bought the bike.

Would that have an effect on the shifting?

Could it have gotten dirt in the cable?

Should I replace the housing along with the cable?

Even before I was adjusting things, the derailleur would sometimes jump up 2 cogs then I would have to shift down to get the cog I had originally wanted. I know it's a lot of experience in adjusting these things, but it shouldn't be THIS difficult and I really don't want to pay someone 65 to 130 bucks an hour to fix something I should be able to do. I really didn't find SRAM's website very helpful either. Even with the youtube videos. They don't really go into detail about how to adjust/install parts on bikes.

Huckin' trails
    Check if your derailleur hanger is straight. This could be the cause as you'll have to counter-act the misalignment with more or less cable tension.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    I've got a 2011 Specailized Epic Comp that has the older pin style derailleur and not a true hanger per se. I picked up a new cable and sheathing today. I'll install them and see what happens.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by '94 9C1 Novice View Post
    I've got a 2011 Specailized Epic Comp that has the older pin style derailleur and not a true hanger per se. I picked up a new cable and sheathing today. I'll install them and see what happens.
    Could still be not 100% straight out of the box. Check if you have long enough of chain as this could also be an issue. Which shifter are you using btw ?
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    Probably more likely to be off since it was a test bike. Fortunately once I replaced the cable and housing I was able to adjust front and rear derailleur and it works better than it has since I bought it. The shifter is a x7. Don't know why they would use a x7 with a x9 derailleur.

I believe there were 2 problems.

1. The ball end of the cable in the shifter looked like it had come out of its seat.

2. I think I had screwed with the barrel adjuster so much trying to "fix" the problem, I had actually made it worse.

I'm not even sure I needed a new cable but at least it's new and I got some experience. If I hadn't taken apart the shifter, I wouldn't have seen the cable seated incorrectly. Could have been worse and gotten frustrated and dumped several hundred bucks on new equipment.