mtbr member

X9 rear derailleur failure

How is this possible:
    Brand new bike
    First ride, shifting flawlessly up to this point
    Cage comes apart from the rest of the derailleur and mangles itself in the chain

Descending
    No sticks jumped up into the derailleur, no rocks involved
    No spoke damage

Pretty sure it was a manufacturing issue, maybe in a hurry to take off for Chinese New Year .... Anyone else ever heard or seen this occur?
    X9 rear derailleur failure-x9-failure.jpg

brandisher of chainsaws
    Damn, that sucks dude.

brandisher of chainsaws
    Whatever issue it is, I'm sure a warranty is in order.

mtbr member
    Definitely - First ride with mine today and I'm glad I didn't come back with it looking like that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Scary!

My X9 RD is only a week old. I need to keep an eye on it!

mtbr member
    Jun 2008
    When I built up my DH bike I put an X9 10 speed on it. Two days later, before I'd even gotten to ride the thing, I walk into the garage and see the chain hanging limp. Some kind of spring had broken, and SRAM sent me a new X0 as a replacement. Call SRAM, or have your shop do it.

BMF
    Oct 2007
    About the only thing I can think of other than just an 'out of box' manufacturing issue would be too short of a chain. If that was the case then you'd possibly snap the derailleur the first time you shifted into a big/big combo and mashed the pedals.

I'd take the part to a SRAM dealer, I hear SRAM doesn't usually deal with riders directly but YMMV.

mtbr member
    Oct 2011

Same thing happen to me

The first run on my new bike the same thing happen. I was riding Gateway trail in the DFW area, a very smooth, clean, novice loop of 4-mile singletrack, I was on my second round and suddenly it blew apart. I called my LBS (Bonzai Cyclewerx) at that moment, told them what happen, they had me take the bike in. SRAM hooked me up with a new one and by the end of the week I was riding again, no charge. My set-up was a 2x10, all SRAM with a Short Cage, they sent me a Medium cage and I havn't had a problem since...... Well lately it has been a drop chain on the inside, thinking of going to a 1x10

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    I had a XO long cage do the same thing. Was working perfectly for about 4 months when it came apart. Destroyed the carbon seat stay on my Top Fuel to the tune of $400.

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    Happened to my brother last year after ~100 miles of mostly street riding. The online retailer he bought the bike from sent him a new derailleur. I dont believe it was the x.9 though. Maybe x.7 or x.5.
    Killing it with close inspection.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    Me too. 2011 Trek HiFi Dlx bought in January, about 5 rides on it so far. Bike was in the stand, I was putting the rear wheel back in. Pulled the deraileur back to clear the cassette and it came part in my hand. Bike shop said they have seen others, they are sending for a warrentee replacement. Seems like a bad batch of these out there.

Mine is an X.9 and looks exactly like the one in the OP.

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Are there supposed to be SRAM representative in this SRAM forum section to answer some SRAM issues

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    This is my first post, not sure if this is the correct thread. However, my new X9 RD top pulley cracked all the way through one side after less than a week. No hanger/derailleur damage. What's the deal? Chain too tight? Bad luck?

mtbr member
    May 2010
    2011 Trek X-Caliber with ~250 miles on it. Buddy was riding it with me last Wednesday (I was on my new SS), and I heard the crunching followed by him hitting the ground. R/D totally blew up. Mine was an X7 though, not X9 like the OP's.

Taking it into the shop since I bought the bike in August. Hopefully they'll warranty replace it, along with repairing the broken spokes that that happened when it wrapped around the cassette.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009
    I had the same issue with my XO rear derailleur yesterday. The derailleur was stock on my 2012 Evolution. It ran flawlessly for 16 months, then I hit washboard on a dirt road. Rear wheel locked up and I skidded without crashing (thank goodness). I am waiting on a warranty response from SRAM & Ellsworth. The defect cost me my derailleur, chain, cassette, and all drive side spokes. A hefty replacement $$. If they don't cover me you are sure to hear back from me on MTBR!

mtbr member
    I've seen this happen several times and it isn't "spontaneous derailleur explosion", more then likely your top pulley made contact with your cogs which in turn tears off the cage assembly, this happens because of incorrect b-tension adjustment. When b-tension is set the suspension is not compressed but when the suspension is cycling the relation between the derailleur and cogs can change resulting in this.

mtbr member
    Nov 2009

SRAM Derailleur Failure

I don't think what you explained above is happening. When my cage came off I was in the smaller rings of my cassette, so there was likely sufficient clearance between the cassette and cage. There was absolutely no damage to the derailuer 4-bar linkage mechanism (the other half of the derailleur) and no bent derailleur hanger. This indicates that the cage came off clean after the key that holds the cage pivot to the derailluer body came loose (the key is now missing). If the cage came in contact with the cassette, you would expect the hanger to be bent. The B-tension screw was properly adjusted, and the chain length was correct (big ring to big ring + 2 links).

Long story short, deraillures should be able to survive washboard on a flat road. I have ridden Shimano for years and never had this issue. Sure, I bent a few hangers but never had spontanious explosion.

Phil