Riding and lovin it.

x9 rd jokey wheel broken

In May I ordered a x9 group set from price point. Before this I ran my 2010 Salsa El Mariachi as a SS but now with pulling my daughter in a trailer I went to a 3x9 setup. Setup went great in June but yesterday I was riding and it became very hard to shift and I would be getting a clicking noise so I took everything apart and I found the top jockey of the rd was cracked from the bearing to the tooth it self.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?f...count=1&ref=nf

I called price point but warranty dept is closed for the 4th. Anyone ever seen this on a brand new x9?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails x9 rd jokey wheel broken-image.jpg  

mtbr member
    I've too ran into the same thing, first ride on my X9 RD on a new bike. Fixed it with just a normal jockey wheel from another derailleur. Has worked fine for 8 months now, no issues. I don't really like the X9 jockeys anyways, they just seem way too flimsy.

Riding and lovin it.
    If warrant does not replace the rd I'm going to order a set from online that are aluminum and anodized blue with ceramic bearings

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by captain smoke eater View Post
    If warrant does not replace the rd I'm going to order a set from online that are aluminum and anodized blue with ceramic bearings
    I did this with my X9 rear derailleur when I bought it for some bling factor

My only thoughts as to what could have caused the jockey wheel damage would be the derailleur not being properly adjusted after installation. My limit screws went slightly out of adjustment after the first couple rides, so assuming the same happened to you, the misalignment on the lowest and/or highest gear could have created sideways force on the jockey wheel that could have cracked it.

mtbr member
    May 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by captain smoke eater View Post
    In May I ordered a x9 group set from price point. Before this I ran my 2010 Salsa El Mariachi as a SS but now with pulling my daughter in a trailer I went to a 3x9 setup. Setup went great in June but yesterday I was riding and it became very hard to shift and I would be getting a clicking noise so I took everything apart and I found the top jockey of the rd was cracked from the bearing to the tooth it self.

I called price point but warranty dept is closed for the 4th. Anyone ever seen this on a brand new x9?

The same thing happened to my 2012 Salsa Spearfish 2 stock X9 jockey wheel. After about five months of riding (with normal cleanings after every ride), I was cleaning my bike and noticed the jockey wheel was cracked in the exact same manner. I wasn't having any noise or problems shifting, but I went ahead and replaced it.

Salsa said it was "technically not under their warranty" because it was directly from SRAM, but my local bike shop ordered the part and replaced it on their dime. I haven't had any problems since.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Very common issue. Sram may send you replacements but they will still crack. Just replace them with the alloy AEST ones that are on ebay.