I've never had a Pliny

X7 10-speed RD weak parallelogram spring?

Searched a bit in this SRAM forum for X7 issues and all I see are XX and XO. I feel like I'm bringing the slum. BUT:

My son's bike came with X7 2X10 speed. The rear derailleur has been an ongoing issue since day 1. It needs constant attention and takes frequent maintenance (and an act of congress) for it to shift to the higher gears. It seems like a seriously weak parallelogram spring.

I thought X7 would sit somewhere between LX and XT and be a relatively solid gruppo. My daughter's Alivio shift better than this piece.

Anyone with advice (besides "Go with XX")?

This is 2013 SRAM gruppo - can I install an XT derailleur if there's no hope for the X7?

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Check you derailleur cables and housings for drag. It is the likely cause of your issues.
    You would need a Shimano rear shifter to work with a Shimano rear derailleur.

I've never had a Pliny
    That's a good point and something I did check. It's a new bike and came with waaay long derailleur cables. I shortened and heavily lubed them and it does shift better. Shifting gears 1-8 are good but, still, getting into 9 and 10 is slow. I'm sure after 2-3 rides it will go back to being an "8 speed" rear.

I still think the spring is just too weak to be effective.

Thanks for the head's up on the Shimano - I guess actuation isn't the same. Bummer. I've never had nearly as much issue w/ Shimano as I've had w/ SRAM. This will definitely influence my next new bike / gruppo purchase.

Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy View Post
    Check you derailleur cables and housings for drag. It is the likely cause of your issues.
    You would need a Shimano rear shifter to work with a Shimano rear derailleur.