Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    mtbr member

X01 cassette creaking / clunking - same as XX1?

On the 4th ride and with a total of about 95 miles my new X01 cassette started creaking... creaking so bad I could hardly stand it... thought I was tearing something up, cut the ride short and headed home.

I found the previous threads on the XX1 cassette and/or derailleur creaking/clanking and after messing with the derailleur first, then moving on and checking the cassette, the cassette was indeed the culprit. (this time).

I was sure to make only one change at a time and then ride the bike to be sure I was diagnosing this properly.

After cleaning removing the cassette I probably went a little overboard, but covered the spline interface, taper and threads with a liberal amount of anti-seize. I also put a few drops of oil in the crevice/openning between the cogs and the XD taper body - the "self extractor" body, or what ever you want to call it.

Now smooth as silk, just like when new.

I like the new 1X... but I hope this issue is now solved... and I don't get any of the derailleur issues I've read about...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?-ea90xd_freehub.jpg  

X01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?-x01cassette.jpg  

X01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?-ripleydrivetrain.jpg  

Last edited by CactusJackSlade; 08-21-2013 at 01:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wonder if it has to do with the manufacturer of the driver body.

I've got a Hope Pro one and 2 Stan's ones all with probably 1500 miles between them and none have creaked...

mtbr member
    I've wondered that.... I mean if the taper is not EXACT I could see freehub to cassette movement possibilities.

Isn't that why we got rid of taper bottom brackets?? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Wonder if it has to do with the manufacturer of the driver body.

I've got a Hope Pro one and 2 Stan's ones all with probably 1500 miles between them and none have creaked...
    Last edited by CactusJackSlade; 08-16-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    vish... butter aluminum

mtbr member
    UPDATE: 4 rides (and 4 rinse/washes) since the anti-seize globbing of the cassette interface and no noise... but then again it was my 4th or 5th ride when new I encountered the issue.... will post a final update after a few more rides...
    Largest NorCal XC Race Series
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Best in the West!

mtbr member
    My XX1 was really bad until be lubed the freehub body, dead silent now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My experience is that the creaking varies by freehub. I have a Hope hub and a Stan's hub. The Hope will creak like mad after about a month of riding in a dry, dusty environment. The Stan's hasn't creaked yet.

I also notice that it's more difficult to remove the cassette from the Stan's freehub - I sometimes have to use a cone wrench between the hub and cassette to leverage it off. I can only assume it's a variance in manufacturing tolerances, and the tighter fit on the Stan's reduces the movement that causes the creaking on the Hopes.

I'm now experimenting with teflon tape on the Hope freehub. It used to work well on noisy bottom brackets. I'll post back up in a few weeks to let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Also, it looks like the Easton has the 'indexing' on the little slots where the cassette engages - like on the standard freehubs where you have to keep the individual cogs in sync. The Hope Freehub has the same thing - the Stans does not. I wonder if that plays into the creaking in some way?

mtbr member
    Mine is creaking like crazy, I have basically isolated it to the casette. I remove and grease the freehub and the creaking stops for about 2 rides. Cactusjack, what anti seize did you use? I have the dt swiss driver for reference

mtbr member
    I am excited with 1 x 11.
    But after reading all these feedbacks...I guess I have to wait a little more ...

I just hope that when Chris King releases its X1 hub adaptors, they nail it...

I have loved the CK hubs for their engagement...and would not want to try other wheelsets (ex-Mavic Crossmax User)..

If I won't be able to control it, I may go back to Mavic..

BTW, has anybody used the Mavic X1 adaptors on their wheelsets?

I would love to hear it since I have on my sights the new Crossmax Enduro and their X1 adaptor...but I am holding on before I pull the trigger....
    Last edited by Rey Recinto; 09-27-2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: clerical errors

mtbr member
    I actually think it might be the chain creaking. I've put a ton of miles on it. It still fits within the tolerance gage but I anti-seized the driver and the creaking continues. Anyone find it was the chain? At $70 buck a pop I want to get my money's worth out of it, but not at the expense of all the wildlife evacuating from my creaky drivetrain.

mtbr member
    I have the Crossmax SX with XX1, no problems with creaks

X01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?-4951762ebed211e286be22000a9f139c_7.jpg

And lot summer night rides with 70ºF and day rides with 104ºF

mtbr member
    great feedback on the mavic Surfas! thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Update on using Teflon tape. I got about 6 weeks of riding before the cassette began to make any noise. This is more than double the time I get from using grease alone. I do a double wrap of Teflon tape around the threads and "divots" and add a little water proof grease. Still annoying to have to mess with, but at least it's a more durable.

Pick a wheel size...

X01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?

Had the same creak upon initial installation.

Removed the cassette, smashed a fair amount of grease in between the carrier and the cassette body.

Creak gone.

mtbr member
    Hi,

I just picked up my new bike with X01 and a DT-Swiss/Roval rearhub.
    Unfortunately I get that CREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK and some ticking noises when I pedal REALLY hard.

Took the cassette off and greased it really good and put some lube in the moving part (slotted part) of it.
    The creaking got a little better, but it still creaks.

Any other input? Maybe an undersized freehub body?

Pick a wheel size...
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf View Post
    Hi,

I just picked up my new bike with X01 and a DT-Swiss/Roval rearhub.
    Unfortunately I get that CREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK and some ticking noises when I pedal REALLY hard.

Took the cassette off and greased it really good and put some lube in the moving part (slotted part) of it.
    The creaking got a little better, but it still creaks.

Any other input? Maybe an undersized freehub body?
    After everything was put back together, mine still creaked while riding around the neighborhood. I figured I'd try and just put up with it in hopes that the grease would work its way in and the creak would go away - after the first trail ride, that's exactly what happened.

mtbr member
    Thanks, jimithng!

Went for my first trailride today and had almost no creaking.
    Loved it!

=)

Pick a wheel size...

X01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?

Thanks, jimithng!

Went for my first trailride today and had almost no creaking.
    Loved it!

=)
    Fantastic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpca10 View Post
    I actually think it might be the chain creaking. I've put a ton of miles on it. It still fits within the tolerance gage but I anti-seized the driver and the creaking continues. Anyone find it was the chain? At $70 buck a pop I want to get my money's worth out of it, but not at the expense of all the wildlife evacuating from my creaky drivetrain.
    Did you ever figure out the chain noise? I'm having the same issue and only have about 200 miles on my drive train.

11 is one louder than 10
    Creak, creak, clunk, clunk...xx1 drivetrain.

Replaced r. Der with a new one and the clunk is gone but the creak is there. I'm 99pct sure it's the cassette. Worse in the 42 and climbing. Time to tear down, clean and lube.

Love the system, but it's noisy for sure.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    I know it's expensive but try a new chain. I lubed and anti siezed everything. Finally replaced my chain and all I can hear is the leaves under my tires now... Make sure it's the right length too, they come about 4 links too long for a 32

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I too have just installed a X01 with 36t Chainring and I too have been driven mad by the bloody creak!

following advice on here I greased between the DT Swiss XD Driver hub and cassette and quietened it a bit, cleaned it all off then did the same with loctite anti seize and the creak much better but still there on the smallest cog when pedalling anything other than easy.

So frickin annoying when you fork out on the best and get creaks but racing on Sunday so won't be in top gear for much if at all and that will be the acid test for the other cogs!

Think I may add more anti seize though to give it the best chance at being silent! At least unlike the Shimano cassettes at least this one is easy to get off each time!

thanks for the tips people you have saved a large chunk of my mental health!

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that.
    I have around a thousand miles on my XO1 and love it again.

My cassette creak went away after a while.

SRAM will send me a new one, but they still haven't got any, so they said I just should continue to ride the creaky one.
    After some three hundred miles, the creaking stopped almost completely.

I since had a very annoying ticking and creaking noise from the rear derailleur.
    Drove me nuts and thought it was the clutch or my rear shock, until I greases the hell out of the silver bolt which connects derailleur and hanger.

SRAM says that specifically in the manual, but you need to be quite thorough and liberal with the grease.

Right now it seems to be silent.

Might spare someone from a headache...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Sorry to hear that.
    I have around a thousand miles on my XO1 and love it again.

My cassette creak went away after a while.

SRAM will send me a new one, but they still haven't got any, so they said I just should continue to ride the creaky one.
    After some three hundred miles, the creaking stopped almost completely.

I since had a very annoying ticking and creaking noise from the rear derailleur.
    Drove me nuts and thought it was the clutch or my rear shock, until I greases the hell out of the silver bolt which connects derailleur and hanger.

SRAM says that specifically in the manual, but you need to be quite thorough and liberal with the grease.

Right now it seems to be silent.

Might spare someone from a headache...
    I greased my hanger too and still the noise is there and it was silent with the old X0 2 x 10 so know its the X01! Clearly Sram don't complete anywhere near enough hard testing before products are released!

mtbr member
    Is it a clunky, knocking sound.
    Or more of a bright ticking?

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Is it a clunky, knocking sound.
    Or more of a bright ticking?
    Hard to explain but a clicking/ticking sound more than a knocking one.

mtbr member
    Then I´d recommend to grease the bolt again. Not only the contact area of the bolt, but also the little black washer with the hook for the b-tension screw. If you pull that washer up a bit, you can turn it 180° and then slip some grease in there. My RD creaked like crazy, but now it is completely silent again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I am getting a strange noise from my xx1. When I pedal i get 3 rotations of the cranks of silent then i get 3 rotations of grinding noise. It is a perfect 3 and 3 for the whole ride. LBS put in new BB and noise still there. I pulled the cassette and greased the outside of the driver and inside of cassette. Still get the noise. I did notice the part on the inside of the cassette that spins feels rough and gravely. Have not messed with the RD. Any help would be great.

mtbr member
    I'd check the R/D, I just had mine exchanged under warranty as there was only 30mi on it and it started creaking. Seems like there should have been more grease in the clutch mechanism.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I wish I could check the clutch mechanism but the XO1 rear mech rear clutch cover doesn't want to come off, much harder task than the XX1 mech!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by routebolter View Post
    I am getting a strange noise from my xx1. When I pedal i get 3 rotations of the cranks of silent then i get 3 rotations of grinding noise. It is a perfect 3 and 3 for the whole ride. LBS put in new BB and noise still there. I pulled the cassette and greased the outside of the driver and inside of cassette. Still get the noise. I did notice the part on the inside of the cassette that spins feels rough and gravely. Have not messed with the RD. Any help would be great.
    I am getting the same. Just tried some Permatex Thread Sealant where the XD driver meets the cassette but no luck... Will try the suggestions about lubing the spot where the derailleur meets the hanger and washer (which the b-tension screw touches).

mtbr member
    Hi, I think it is not the cassette/xd-driver interface that is creaking, but rather the cassette itself.

That´s what a SRAM rep told me and for me it solved the issue.
    Just use a thick oil and get it inside the rotating part and also into all the joints where different parts of the cassette connect.

No more creaking for me...

Hope that helps.

Greetings Znarf

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Hi, I think it is not the cassette/xd-driver interface that is creaking, but rather the cassette itself.

That´s what a SRAM rep told me and for me it solved the issue.
    Just use a thick oil and get it inside the rotating part and also into all the joints where different parts of the cassette connect.

No more creaking for me...

Hope that helps.

Greetings Znarf
    Interesting thanks I'll try that.

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Despite putting a liberal amount of grease on, one ride later its creaking again - gutting!

Tallboy Rider
    Jan 2009
    Mine is creaking like hell too. I think it's the r/d, when I wiggle it i can hear the creaks…. the sram guy at the fat bike fest cleaned out all 8 bolts and made the creak go away on the stand, but it came back on the 1st ride. Frustrating! I've also greased the bolt and the hanger connection, and the creak came back within 1 or 2 rides. Could it really be the cassette when I can hear the creak when I move the r/d back and forth?

mtbr member
    I can only repeat it: I had the same creaky derailleur (and cassette) and three times it was the hanger bolt connection. You really need to get the grease under that washer shaped tension screw thing...

mtbr member
    Another common creak is the B screw bolt, pull it out, dab a little grease on the bolt/the little washery thing/RD interface.

On XX1 you can get creaking between the AL 42T cog and the steel body, wick some thin lube in between. I'd imagine the same could happen with the other models.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Is it more like a popping/grinding sound? I get that under extreme torque ie third gear 15% grade. I thought it was the bottom bracket at first.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I too am getting the loud creak from the rear cassette.

I pulled it off and discovered that I could reproduce the creak by squeezing near the joints on the 42T. It only did it around about 4 of the joints on one side. All of the others were quiet.

I'm going to just try lubing them with a thick grease as Znarf suggested.

In any case, my creak appears to be the cassette itself and has nothing to do with the interface.

mtbr member
    Have any of you replaced the chain. I swear I thought it was the rd for me or the cassette turned out to be the chain

mtbr member
    I didn't see it anywhere in this thread, but Sram has a known issue with XO1 cassettes around a specific range of SN's. If you are having an issue have your shop send Sram the serial number from your cassette to see if it is in the affected run.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    I'm on my second xo1 cassette, after sram warrantied the 1st one. 1st one started to make the creaking, squeaking, clunking noise around 2000 miles and got worse over time. The 2nd one is making the same noise after 1000 miles. I had the same noise on two different wheelsets (stans and now I9) with the 1st cassette. LBS said it was the sleeve that goes over the freehub body in the first cassette, i think it is more of a machining tolerance issue.

The noise is so annoying it is driving me to switch my bike over to a SS.

mtbr member
    Ive been having the creaking cassette problem pretty much since I fitted it,ive greased things up and it still creaked,and with only 177 miles on it its gotten pretty bad now!!
    Heres my set up...
    Complete X01 set up.
    XX1 chain.
    2014 Mavic Crossmax SX wheel 26"
    Mavic Sram XX1 free hub body.

So today i decided to have another go...
    I turned the bike upside down,put the lock on the rear mech so there was no pressure on the chain or the rear mech (other than the clutch) and the mech could swing freely.

I held the wheel and pressed the pedal and the cassette creaked.

I cleaned the all grease off the freehub body,splines,threads etc and did the same with the sleeve in the cassette so it was grease free,installed it and it still creaked.

Then i greased just the splines,and it still creaked.
    I greased the threads,still creaking.
    Greased the free hub body,still creaking.
    Added some chain lube between the cassette and cassette sleeve,and it still creaked just the same with everything greased.

Druber mentioned in this thread about the joints where the 42 tooth cog fixes to the rest of the cassette,so i took a look at that and it looks like the splines hold the 42 tooth cog to the hub driver and the threaded sleeve holds the other 10 cogs to the hub driver and both are fixed together just below the teeth on the 42 tooth cog with pins machined to the 10 cog part of the cassette.
    So i pressed grease into the spaces where 42 tooth cog fixes to the rest of the cassette and the creaking has stopped !!!! See photo.

X01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?-img_3331a.jpg

I cant see this being a permanent fix but im sure now after greasing each different contact point in turn and only the last effort in the photo curing the creak that as far as the creaking cassettes are concerned its how the 2 pieces are joined together at that point that causes the creaks.
    And maybe others that had greased the splines,threads etc just relieved the pressure between the 42 tooth cog and the rest of the cassette by taking the cassette off that they had a creak free ride for a few miles!!! I dunno lol

Ill see how it goes,and depending how long it stays creak free I might even try replacing the grease with silicon sealant which might hold up better than the grease.

There is also issues with some rear mechs creaking,i found this video,it doesnt go into any detail but might help those trying to narrow it down.
    SRAM XX1 RD Severe Knocking/Creaking Noise Problem - YouTube

mtbr member
    Figured I'd chime in as well. I've had a clicking for a little while now and more recently a bit of a clunk. Today I serviced everything once part at a time. The clunk was the clutch. I took it apart, greased it and tightened it all up(a bit more than stock as well). The click remained. Took apart and greased the mounting bolt. No luck. Then pulled the cassette, cleaned everything and used a decent amount of anti seize on all contact points and reassembled. The clicking is gone now. We'll see how long it lasts.
    AJ

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    I had been experiencing creaking that continued to get worse. I had trouble shot the usual suspects: bb, seat post, derailleur, etc, ect. I thought it couldn't be the cassette... even though the sound was coming from that area. I was horrified when I pulled it to find that the tabs inside the cassette that mate to the XD driver had sheared off. They extend from the 42 tooth just below to the 36 and that is where they brokeX01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?-img_2587.jpgX01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?-img_2588.jpgX01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?-img_2589.jpgX01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?-img_2590.jpg

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Just installed all new x01 drive train with xx1 chain. Installed a complete Chris kind xd driver also sinc I was running 1x10 shimano.
    Now I get a creaking clunking sound when pedaling under pressure. Took it all apart and added greas and still there. Do I need to do anything with you xd drivetrain?
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    I had 5 good rides on my new drivetrain before the creaking started on mine. When I removed and re-greased the cassette interface, the creaking went away for about 15 miles, now its back. I don't want to spend this much on a drive train and have it creak non stop. I will keep trying to trouble shoot.......

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Mine was there on the first ride ;(
    Emailed sram and they said my chain may be too short: it's not though ;(

I have this X1 on my fat bike and it's fine
    2014 Santa Cruz Tallboy LTc
    Trek Farley 8
    iDream Images

mtbr member
    Did you try putting grease in the holes on the back of the 42 tooth cog where it fits to the rest of the cassette!.
    Thats the only thing fixed the creaking on mine.I did that in September and ive not had a creak since.Mine had a bad creak from new.
    Also not sure if any of you saw the video i found on Youtube and posted above,there have been lots of rear mechs creaking too !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmbH5svYEHU

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast