Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Apr 2006

X01 cassette creaking / clunking - same as XX1?

On the 4th ride and with a total of about 95 miles my new X01 cassette started creaking... creaking so bad I could hardly stand it... thought I was tearing something up, cut the ride short and headed home.

I found the previous threads on the XX1 cassette and/or derailleur creaking/clanking and after messing with the derailleur first, then moving on and checking the cassette, the cassette was indeed the culprit. (this time).

I was sure to make only one change at a time and then ride the bike to be sure I was diagnosing this properly.

After cleaning removing the cassette I probably went a little overboard, but covered the spline interface, taper and threads with a liberal amount of anti-seize. I also put a few drops of oil in the crevice/openning between the cogs and the XD taper body - the "self extractor" body, or what ever you want to call it.

Now smooth as silk, just like when new.

I like the new 1X... but I hope this issue is now solved... and I don't get any of the derailleur issues I've read about...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?-ea90xd_freehub.jpg  

X01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?-x01cassette.jpg  

X01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?-ripleydrivetrain.jpg  

Last edited by CactusJackSlade; 08-21-2013 at 01:03 PM.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Wonder if it has to do with the manufacturer of the driver body.

I've got a Hope Pro one and 2 Stan's ones all with probably 1500 miles between them and none have creaked...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    I've wondered that.... I mean if the taper is not EXACT I could see freehub to cassette movement possibilities.

Isn't that why we got rid of taper bottom brackets?? ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by trhoppe View Post
    Wonder if it has to do with the manufacturer of the driver body.

I've got a Hope Pro one and 2 Stan's ones all with probably 1500 miles between them and none have creaked...
    Last edited by CactusJackSlade; 08-16-2013 at 05:15 PM.
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    vish... butter aluminum

mtbr member
    Apr 2006
    UPDATE: 4 rides (and 4 rinse/washes) since the anti-seize globbing of the cassette interface and no noise... but then again it was my 4th or 5th ride when new I encountered the issue.... will post a final update after a few more rides...
    Best racing series in the West!
    http://www.bicyclingevents.com
    Helmet cam reviews
    http://www.helmetcamreview.com

mtbr member
    My XX1 was really bad until be lubed the freehub body, dead silent now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    My experience is that the creaking varies by freehub. I have a Hope hub and a Stan's hub. The Hope will creak like mad after about a month of riding in a dry, dusty environment. The Stan's hasn't creaked yet.

I also notice that it's more difficult to remove the cassette from the Stan's freehub - I sometimes have to use a cone wrench between the hub and cassette to leverage it off. I can only assume it's a variance in manufacturing tolerances, and the tighter fit on the Stan's reduces the movement that causes the creaking on the Hopes.

I'm now experimenting with teflon tape on the Hope freehub. It used to work well on noisy bottom brackets. I'll post back up in a few weeks to let you know how it goes.

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Also, it looks like the Easton has the 'indexing' on the little slots where the cassette engages - like on the standard freehubs where you have to keep the individual cogs in sync. The Hope Freehub has the same thing - the Stans does not. I wonder if that plays into the creaking in some way?

mtbr member
    Mine is creaking like crazy, I have basically isolated it to the casette. I remove and grease the freehub and the creaking stops for about 2 rides. Cactusjack, what anti seize did you use? I have the dt swiss driver for reference

mtbr member
    I am excited with 1 x 11.
    But after reading all these feedbacks...I guess I have to wait a little more ...

I just hope that when Chris King releases its X1 hub adaptors, they nail it...

I have loved the CK hubs for their engagement...and would not want to try other wheelsets (ex-Mavic Crossmax User)..

If I won't be able to control it, I may go back to Mavic..

BTW, has anybody used the Mavic X1 adaptors on their wheelsets?

I would love to hear it since I have on my sights the new Crossmax Enduro and their X1 adaptor...but I am holding on before I pull the trigger....
    Last edited by Rey Recinto; 09-27-2013 at 02:09 AM. Reason: clerical errors

mtbr member
    I actually think it might be the chain creaking. I've put a ton of miles on it. It still fits within the tolerance gage but I anti-seized the driver and the creaking continues. Anyone find it was the chain? At $70 buck a pop I want to get my money's worth out of it, but not at the expense of all the wildlife evacuating from my creaky drivetrain.

mtbr member
    I have the Crossmax SX with XX1, no problems with creaks

X01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?-4951762ebed211e286be22000a9f139c_7.jpg

And lot summer night rides with 70F and day rides with 104F

mtbr member
    great feedback on the mavic Surfas! thanks

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Update on using Teflon tape. I got about 6 weeks of riding before the cassette began to make any noise. This is more than double the time I get from using grease alone. I do a double wrap of Teflon tape around the threads and "divots" and add a little water proof grease. Still annoying to have to mess with, but at least it's a more durable.

Pick a wheel size...

X01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?

Had the same creak upon initial installation.

Removed the cassette, smashed a fair amount of grease in between the carrier and the cassette body.

Creak gone.

mtbr member
    Hi,

I just picked up my new bike with X01 and a DT-Swiss/Roval rearhub.
    Unfortunately I get that CREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK and some ticking noises when I pedal REALLY hard.

Took the cassette off and greased it really good and put some lube in the moving part (slotted part) of it.
    The creaking got a little better, but it still creaks.

Any other input? Maybe an undersized freehub body?

Pick a wheel size...
    Quote Originally Posted by Znarf View Post
    Hi,

I just picked up my new bike with X01 and a DT-Swiss/Roval rearhub.
    Unfortunately I get that CREAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAK and some ticking noises when I pedal REALLY hard.

Took the cassette off and greased it really good and put some lube in the moving part (slotted part) of it.
    The creaking got a little better, but it still creaks.

Any other input? Maybe an undersized freehub body?
    After everything was put back together, mine still creaked while riding around the neighborhood. I figured I'd try and just put up with it in hopes that the grease would work its way in and the creak would go away - after the first trail ride, that's exactly what happened.

mtbr member
    Thanks, jimithng!

Went for my first trailride today and had almost no creaking.
    Loved it!

=)

Pick a wheel size...

X01 cassette creaking - same as XX1?

Thanks, jimithng!

Went for my first trailride today and had almost no creaking.
    Loved it!

=)
    Fantastic.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dpca10 View Post
    I actually think it might be the chain creaking. I've put a ton of miles on it. It still fits within the tolerance gage but I anti-seized the driver and the creaking continues. Anyone find it was the chain? At $70 buck a pop I want to get my money's worth out of it, but not at the expense of all the wildlife evacuating from my creaky drivetrain.
    Did you ever figure out the chain noise? I'm having the same issue and only have about 200 miles on my drive train.

11 is one louder than 10
    Creak, creak, clunk, clunk...xx1 drivetrain.

Replaced r. Der with a new one and the clunk is gone but the creak is there. I'm 99pct sure it's the cassette. Worse in the 42 and climbing. Time to tear down, clean and lube.

Love the system, but it's noisy for sure.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    I know it's expensive but try a new chain. I lubed and anti siezed everything. Finally replaced my chain and all I can hear is the leaves under my tires now... Make sure it's the right length too, they come about 4 links too long for a 32

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    I too have just installed a X01 with 36t Chainring and I too have been driven mad by the bloody creak!

following advice on here I greased between the DT Swiss XD Driver hub and cassette and quietened it a bit, cleaned it all off then did the same with loctite anti seize and the creak much better but still there on the smallest cog when pedalling anything other than easy.

So frickin annoying when you fork out on the best and get creaks but racing on Sunday so won't be in top gear for much if at all and that will be the acid test for the other cogs!

Think I may add more anti seize though to give it the best chance at being silent! At least unlike the Shimano cassettes at least this one is easy to get off each time!

thanks for the tips people you have saved a large chunk of my mental health!

mtbr member
    Sorry to hear that.
    I have around a thousand miles on my XO1 and love it again.

My cassette creak went away after a while.

SRAM will send me a new one, but they still haven't got any, so they said I just should continue to ride the creaky one.
    After some three hundred miles, the creaking stopped almost completely.

I since had a very annoying ticking and creaking noise from the rear derailleur.
    Drove me nuts and thought it was the clutch or my rear shock, until I greases the hell out of the silver bolt which connects derailleur and hanger.

SRAM says that specifically in the manual, but you need to be quite thorough and liberal with the grease.

Right now it seems to be silent.

Might spare someone from a headache...

mtbr member
    Apr 2014
    Sorry to hear that.
    I have around a thousand miles on my XO1 and love it again.

My cassette creak went away after a while.

SRAM will send me a new one, but they still haven't got any, so they said I just should continue to ride the creaky one.
    After some three hundred miles, the creaking stopped almost completely.

I since had a very annoying ticking and creaking noise from the rear derailleur.
    Drove me nuts and thought it was the clutch or my rear shock, until I greases the hell out of the silver bolt which connects derailleur and hanger.

SRAM says that specifically in the manual, but you need to be quite thorough and liberal with the grease.

Right now it seems to be silent.

Might spare someone from a headache...
    I greased my hanger too and still the noise is there and it was silent with the old X0 2 x 10 so know its the X01! Clearly Sram don't complete anywhere near enough hard testing before products are released!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast