mtbr member

X0 Type 2 and Gripshit review

My XX stuff that I put on over the winter was getting sloppy so I decided to give Gripshift and Type 2 a try. I've always liked the look of XO better than XX so considering the weight is the same in the internal components are the same except for the shifter cable it's used I just decided to go with the X0. The Gripshift is very smooth but not too smooth. It's still a SRAM product. The only issue I had with these is they sort of force you to use more of the end of the brake lever rather than the middle of the brake lever. So if you have smaller hands you may have difficulty reaching the brake lever. I use a size large glove and it was still a little bit of a stretch for me. I'll have to play with the lever a little bit and just get used to it. Optionally I could cut the grip itself shorter and that would bring the brake lever closer to my finger but then you're forced to rest your hand on the shifter itself and that could get a little uncomfortable with the type of texture that it is. Sort of hard to explain what I mean there unless you actually put your hand on one to understand. Overall I like it though.

Not a whole lot to say about the Type 2 rear deraileur. It's extremely quiet and shifts incredibly well. I feel like it shifts a lot better than my XX did. It shifts on par with my SRAM red road bike. Also the cage lock mechanism is really cool it really helps quite a bit for taking the wheel on and off.

If you're in the market to buy some new components, definitely give these two new products a try.
    X0 Type 2 and Gripshit review-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344545730.626428.jpg
    X0 Type 2 and Gripshit review-imageuploadedbytapatalk1344545754.012806.jpg

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks for the review. I've been considering grip shifters for my new bike. Is it difficult to adjust from from using Shimano triggers to grip shifters? How smooth is the rolling action? Finally, how quickly is the shifting?

mtbr member
    The shifting is fast. If you can twist your wrist all the way around you don't have to regrip to go from 11 to 36. Just one big twist. It's also very smooth. Like I said though, it's still a SRAM product so it smooth but not unnoticeable. You feel the click of the shifts about as much as you do XX. It's not as soft as shimano but for me that's a good thing.

As for adjusting to it, today was the first ride. I think it's going to take a few rides because of the slight difference in my hand position.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks Alex.. You've been very helpful. But you've also brought up a personal issue.. I crashed month ago and though it wasn't serious, I did slightly sprain my wrist. I really can't put too much pressure or weight on them yet (at least at certain angles). Using triggers isnt an issue. But I wonder how the twisting action will be.. Oh well guess will have to find out.

mtbr member
    That might pose a small issue for you right now but you'll heal. This might even be easier. It's not like you need to shift all 10 at once. That's really the only the time you'd bend your wrist your around. To shift up or down a few gears is barely any movement. I cut the grip size a little bit and now the brake lever is in a perfect position. I can't wait to try it again.
    Last edited by Alexgonzalezmi; 08-10-2012 at 03:06 AM.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Thanks a million for your input and advice. You've been a big help.

mtbr member
    Glad to help out!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I also changed out to the same setup XO gripshift with Type2 derailer. I completely agree with the review. Chain slap on the Type2 is much improved although not completely eliminated, but enough to stop 95% of the lost chains on steep downhils (riding a Pivot Mach 5.7).

My only issue with the gripshift was that I had to exchange my XT stumpy 2012 brakes for the 3 fingered version. Otherwise the stretch over was impossible.(I'd say I have normal sized hands).
    With the extra reach the long XT leavers are perfect now for one finger braking even with the hands at the end of the bar ends during rough riding.

LA CHÈVRE
    I'm on a 1x10 setup, XX GripShift and X.0 Type 2 short cage.

Background, I have been a big fan of GripShifts for years, had some old Plasma GripShifts, X.0, using 2x9 setup for a long time before I switched to the XX trigger when I went 10 speed with a long cage XX rear derailleur. I have been using the XX Trigger as a 1x10 or 2x10 with my old X.0 GripShift for the front derailleur at times... I hate triggers and I was happy to ditch my XX rear trigger.

So far so good, quick and smooth shifts, chain seems calm down there. My only complaint is that I think the shifter has a too light action when shifting up the cassette (shifting to smaller cogs is fine). When I shift to a bigger cog, it's really hard to know if I shift up 1 cog or 2 or shift at all, only the legs know. There is not as much feedback on the shifter compared to the old GripShifts that really had a crisp click, there is almost none in fact now... I don't have much milage though, maybe the grease will settle in and some kind of click will start to be felt. And after a while, I'll probably know how much movement shifts the right amount subconsciously. But I'd like crisper, more feelable clicks.

I still like that much better than triggers. No problems with brake reach with XX brakes but I always run the brake levers pretty far from the grips anyway. I'm not using the grips that came with the GripShift, I use ESI Chunky grips.
    Last edited by Dan Gerous; 08-27-2012 at 12:44 PM.

DAN.GEROUS.NET : MOUNTAIN BIKING : CYCLOCROSS : ROAD :

mtbr member
    I've waited ten-years for these new twisters and have mixed feelings with a positive conclusion.

I have GS X0 10-spd. Running 1x10.

Gutted that the shifter wasn't narrower. It is in fact wider than the old X.0/X.9.
    Like DG the light action is an adjustment. I'm getting to like the speed and it is so much more silent.
    Integrated grip is nice - looking forward to some aftermarket options.
    Clamps are simple - need a bit of squeezing to stop some rattle on the rear side.
    Bearing feel seems nicer - more solid.
    Quality isn't as good as I expected. Still has that made in Taiwan generic feel.
    Overall I'm pleased - as much for the 10-speeds as the new shifters.

C.