mtbr member
    Aug 2006

X0 gripshifter and a cracking carbon bar!?!

is there a similar topic on this? if there is my apologies.

i finally got around to stripping my bike down the other day when i noticed a small crack on the right hand side of my carbon handlebar about 1" long, on the left hand side too was a similar mark just not as developed. on inspection i realised they were caused by my gripshifters it wasn't due to over tightening as i religiously use a torque wrench. so it looks to me like the gripshifters have instead of holding the bar nice and evenly, it's simply crimped it along the edge of were the damage has occurred and not very effectively around the rest of the bar.

the shifters are about three years old, the bar 8 months or so, never notice this on my previous bar.

anyone else had this happen? is it a known issue with the shifters? any help info would be greatly received.

thanks.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    What bars do you have? I have used X0 GS on my Giant carbon bars...and NOTHING.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    USE bars.

i tried to contact sram through their UK distributor, i couldn't find another way - no reply as yet.

USE were kind enough to inspect the bar, and confirm it as fecked.

here are couple of photos...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails X0 gripshifter and a cracking carbon bar!?!-img_2297.jpg  

X0 gripshifter and a cracking carbon bar!?!-img_2755.jpg  

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    Damn USE products, I suspected that was your brand. I had many problems with that maker. Go Ritchey WCS(real, not Chinese copies!), Easton or Giant brand carbon bars. All are strong as hell and very light, mate.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    yeah you could well be right. i just cannot get over just how badly aligned the clamp is!?!

bought a 3t bar last week, i am going to try a different pair of x0's as i don't relish the idea of buggering up another handlebar.

thanks for the reply!