mtbr member

Would Just Like To Say Triggers SUCK!

God I hate them. Bought a new bike and it came with XX. First time on triggers in YEARS. Not use to my handlebar being filled with this junk and all the work it takes just to shift gears not to mention the number of adjustments I had to make so I don't mis-shift with my thumb. How does anybody use these things.

I know it will be second nature soon, but for the love of everything holy SRAM, just release the grips already. You don't need to re-invent the wheel, just add a freaking gear and get it out.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    LoL.... I think this every time I go to the bike shop and look at a bike with SRAM triggers. My hands would be dead using their triggers with the added reach need to shift both ways. I know I am special since i have "hand issues," but grip shifting eliminates all the problems I have and makes biking enjoyable again.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58 View Post
    Not use to my handlebar being filled with this junk and all the work it takes just to shift gears not to mention the number of adjustments I had to make so I don't mis-shift with my thumb. How does anybody use these things.
    I've never mis-shifted with my thumb after I've set my shifters in a correct position. Its not sram's fault that your bike shop put your levers and shifters right up against the grips.

The one time I had grip shifts, back in the mid 90's, I mis-shifted all the time because I didn't have a full width grip. I don't know how anybody rides aggressively with part of your hand on the shifters.

NMBP
    Funny, the first thing that I did on my new Mukluk was remove those horrible grip shifters! They were OK on my Townie, but I just hated them on a real bike. To each their own I suppose!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by 92gli View Post
    I've never mis-shifted with my thumb after I've set my shifters in a correct position. Its not sram's fault that your bike shop put your levers and shifters right up against the grips.

The one time I had grip shifts, back in the mid 90's, I mis-shifted all the time because I didn't have a full width grip. I don't know how anybody rides aggressively with part of your hand on the shifters.
    Assumption that LBS set triggers against grips? WRONG.

I'm just use to the freedom of movement grips provide. I need to get use to the restriction required with triggers. I have them set as far away as possible creating quite a reach to shift. That's the only way to give me the same freedom of movement I had with grips. I'll have to move them in a bit, thus restricting that freedom.

I waited as long as possible to buy a new bike waiting for SRAM to introduce a grip shift. Almost impossible to find a 9-speed mountain bike now. This 10-speed fad has taken over, but it's nothing more than a perceived benefit based on SRAM's marketing. And locking up a lot of the manufacturers for OEM parts.

It wasn't too long ago that SRAM came on nothing and now on almost everything. Road bikes are finally starting to evolve that way was well although the Shimano is cleaning up with the lower in electronic shifting. I thought that was a gimick and maybe so on a road bike, but on a triathlon bike it's brilliant.

West Chester, PA
    Sep 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Guppie58 View Post

I waited as long as possible to buy a new bike waiting for SRAM to introduce a grip shift. Almost impossible to find a 9-speed mountain bike now. This 10-speed fad has taken over, but it's nothing more than a perceived benefit based on SRAM's marketing. And locking up a lot of the manufacturers for OEM parts.
    I partially agree. 3x10 is pointless - an answer to a question no one asked. But 10 speed combined with a single or double up front is very effective for many people. Personally, I'm all for anything that minimizes front shifts - its never been effective for me, in terms of both gear spread and performance. I started removing the big ring and shortening my chain years ago. Now I'm a 1x guy and I doubt I'll ever use a front der. again unless I move to a place with much more extreme climbs.

The good news for you is that the 10spd grips should be out shortly.

No longer 26
    I was always a grip shift user but have grown to like but not love my x.9 10 spd triggers. I have a few less hand soreness issues with triggers but I do not like the ergonomics of X.9. I have seen in a drivetrain sticky that shimano 10 spd shifters work well with X.7, 9, 0 9spd rear der's. I may go that route because the XT shifters feel good to me. At least in the shop.

G
    You can't depend on honest answers from dependant hands...

mtbr member
    I say the same thing about grip shifters. Hate them. I love triggers. I dont even have to think about where the shifter is. Its completely natural for me to shift using them.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    In all the years of riding GS, I have never had an accidental shift.... maybe just how I hold my bars?

FWIW, it is only SRAM triggers that I hate. Shimano's rapid fire has always been nice to me. I left a set of M952 XTR Rapid Fire to get my X0 gripshifters I have now. Less hand/thumb fatigue means a better riding experience. If my hands hurt, I won't ride.... I don't get sore hands with my X0, so I ride more often.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    After years of preferring and riding Gripshift I recently picked up a new ride that is 2x10 and equipped with XX triggers... I bought the bike with the mindset that I'd be putting on the new 10 speed grips when they became available but now I'm not so sure.. After a few rides I actually found myself digging the XX triggers quite a bit... The last set of triggers I spent any time with were a couple generations old Shimano XTR's that just didn't work for me..

Can't wait to try out the new Grips though.. Hurry up SRAM..

mtbr member
    Can't stand thumb shifters. Love shimano STI on my XT.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Try adjusting the shifter pods downward. Pretty common, even for a bike shop to adjust the pods all the way up to the brake levers, I don't know why, it puts the upshift trigger in a very awkward position.

Front Range, Colorado
    I love my xo triggers coming off of XT triggers 3 by 9 set up. In my opinion they shift smoother and feel natural. I don't get any mis- shifts. Mine are adjusted slightly down which is even more natural from a standing position. I never had a bike setup with grip shift but have rode some with it. I also felt that riding aggressively would feel weird with your hands on the shifter. So I decided early on to stick with trigger. And when SRAM first came out with trigger I rode a bike with them and knew that's what I wanted. About a year later I got them and have been hooked ever since. To each his own I guess.

mtbr member
    I had the same concerns you did when I went to grip shift but for me, grip shift is so much better than triggers. I know everybody has their own preference. Hell I know people who still ride those ridiculous shimano dual brake shifters. I've adjusted to the triggers and have them set up good now. I'll just be getting the grips once SRAM wakes up.