mtbr member

Will a 2x10 Sram X9 FD work with a dedicated 24/36 crank?

I have already read every thread on the topic and talked with several bike shops. I have heard both yes and no. Is there someone out there who can say yes I have done it, it works?

I guess the official SRAM approved answer is no it wont work , the smallest chain rings that will work are the 26/39. Calling SRAM would probably solve the problem, unfortunately they donít take phone calls from end-users.

Running a 12-36 in the rear. Looking at the Race Face Turbine or Ethirteen TRS+. I am willing to go up to a 26/38 or 26/39 but I would only do so if there is no way to use 24/36 crank. Going to be used on a SC Bronson.

Thanks!

mtbr member
    44 lookie-loos and no replies. 2nd time posting this question. Have I stumbled on to some highly guarded secret? Somebody must have tried this...

mtbr member

Re: Will a 2x10 Sram X9 FD work with a dedicated 24/36 crank?

Well if this helps.

X9 2x10 fd works on as low as 32/22 however looks goofy cause its a tad high.

Now that's provided ur not fs, hardtail only. I know cause I did it on my ht currently 32/24 and works nicely. On a fs, I have no idea but 36t is most likely pushing lower limit depending on the bike.

I'd say if u have the fd try it see if its going to work or not.

Sent from my HTC Sensation Z710e using Tapatalk 2
    Trek Marlin 29er

Like It, Love It, Want Some More Of It!

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    The reason no one has answered yes or not is because it will likely be crankset and bike specific as to if it will work. One thing to keep in mind is 2 ring specific FD are designed for the chain line of a 2 ring crank. A converted 3 ring crank is going to have the small ring further inboard than a 2 ring crank would and this could lead to the possibility of the derailleur bottoming out or hitting the seat tube when trying to shift to the small ring. Like the previous poster said, you pretty much have to try it out to see if it will actually work.

mtbr member
    Thanks for the replies guys.

Good to know that the FD will work with a 22/32 crank. However it is going to be on a full suspension Bronson. I have yet to purchase the crank, so I am trying to find out for sure before I commit. If it wasnít for the short insanely steep 20+ degree climbs I come across I wouldnít even bother with the 24 granny gear.

Another issue is finding a 170mm 24/36 crank without a bash guard. The 26/38 will make me work a bit harder and maybe a bit faster, plus it seems like it much less of a headache finding one and making it work.