mtbr member
    Mar 2011

What model year XX WC brakes came on my 2011 Specialized S-Works Epic?

I posted this on the Specialized forum but thought maybe it would be more appropriate here...

One of my brake levers on my 2011 S-Works Epic has been somewhat sticky in its retraction, so after reading about the XX brake maintenance on the SRAM site I figured I'd see if it needed an overhaul. (One season seems a bit premature for an overhaul - I've used other hydraulic brakes for years without need to do this - but according the SRAM documentation it should be done periodically...?)

So I ordered a '10/11 XX brake lever service kit from Universal. However, when I took my lever apart, it looked different from the diagrams I had seen in the 2010 XX technical manual. (Page 43 of this manual: 2010 XX Technical Manual)

Instead, it looked more like the diagram on page 6 of this manual: 2012 XX Service Manual (In fact, the lever bodies look just like that too.)

Looking closer at this spare parts document: 2012 SRAM Service Parts on Page 27, it lists a 2010-11 XX, 2010-11 XX WC, and a 2012 XX and 2012 XX WC.

Naturally, I figured I had the 2011 XX World Cup brakes on my 2011 Epic. But when I compared the pictures, it seems like I actually have a 2012 brake model, right?

So after my brake lever service kit arrived, I confirmed that the parts included were indeed different than what was in my brake lever. So I re-ordered the 2012 kit.

Here is where it gets interesting. The parts inside my 2011 bike's brakes are not like EITHER of these kits. Here is a picture. On the top are the parts that came with the 2012 XX kit. In the middle are the parts that came with 2010-2011 XX kit. On the bottom, the parts that came out of my brake.

It's like it's a hybrid of these two... and the spring is much shorter. First of all, I find it strange that my 2011 would have 2012 brakes. But clearly these are not the parts that came in the 2011 kit. And it seems closest to the 2012 model, but the end (to the far right) is closer to the 2010.

Has anyone run into this before? It seems a bit strange. What kit do I need to overhaul the XX WC brakes, whatever model year they are, that came on my 2011 S-Works Epic?

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    The 2012 does not have that red adjuster knob. My 2011 Epic came with those levers initially but they were swapped out for the 2012 model.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by m3bas View Post
    The 2012 does not have that red adjuster knob.
    According to the diagram in the spare parts catalog, the 2011 XX World Cup model doesn't either (but the XX model does?).

Quote Originally Posted by m3bas View Post
    My 2011 Epic came with those levers initially but they were swapped out for the 2012 model.
    How did you get them swapped out? Was it a warranty issue?

dat
    mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    The red adjuster knob is custom for specialized med and high level bikes. I have a stucked front brake and I need a overhaul. So it looks like I might be in the same boat as you. Let me know if you figure out.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by dat View Post
    The red adjuster knob is custom for specialized med and high level bikes. I have a stucked front brake and I need a overhaul. So it looks like I might be in the same boat as you. Let me know if you figure out.
    Well I couldn't get a straight answer out of SRAM when I contacted them. They said I should have 2011 brakes and the 2011 rebuild kit should work. But it the parts that were inside of my 2011 brakes do not match the parts in the 2011 rebuild kit. But I was able to make the 2012 internals fit my 2011 WC brakes.

If you take a look at my picture, on the 2012 piston, the end on the far right - not the part with the hole that the lever rod fits into, but the next wider section - is slightly flared out as compared to both of the 2011 pistons. This prevented it from fitting all the way inside the lever body. So I used a dremel to file it down just a bit so it matched the diameter of the previous part and was able to get it to fit. So far so good.