mtbr member
    Feb 2011

Using X0 3x crankset for 2x setup?

Instead of buying a new bike this year, I've been upgrading my 2010 enduro comp. It came with a shimano/sram 2x9 drivetrain which shifts like a dream. I am not exaggerating when i say I have never missed a shift with this setup. According to the internet i could shed a good amount of weight by swithchng to X0 and I particularly like the silver ones. One thing about the Shimano crankset that annoyed me was the big gap in pedal RPM's when dropping to the granny (22t) leaving me spinning my brains out and losing precious climbing momentum.
    The X0 triple has a 22/33/?? that i think would work how I want using the middle ring most often and the small ring for the bailout.
    Is a 2X crankset simply a triple with the large ring removed? Is the spacing the same width as a purpose made double?
    Would an X0 triple function good as a double by replacing the large chainring with the plastic bash/chain guide ring?
    And just in case people don't get what I 'm trying to accomplish, I pretty much never use my highest gears anyway.

Thanks,
    Chris

Huckin' trails
    Yes, you can use the triple and remove the big ring and install a bash.

The double one are made for having a bash already and usually won't have shift ramps on the outside of the bigger chain ring.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

mtbr member
    Jun 2011
    I just did exactly what you are planning.

Picked up a new take off XO 3x10 off ebay and replaced the big ring with a bash. The shifting between 22/33 is really smooth and fast. I stick to the 33t until I am beat towards the end of my ride.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    The bike shop is open tomorrow so I have saved up to order the xo silver crankset. Gettin excited for a fun season on a graually lighter bike. I think tires are the next lighter upgrade. Weight vs grip is tough compromise to get it right!

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Parts came in and installedwithout a hitch. Passed the parking lot test. Going to moab for the rest of the week. Should be a decent test period.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    My LBS told me the spacing on the double is wider between the ring vs. the triple. I also was thinking of getting a triple and running it as a double with bash guard. I like that it has a 22T granny but not the 33T. I would want a 36T. So then I'd have to fork out more $ for a replacement ring. Anyone running that combo: 22/36/bash on their XO triple?
    We Ride In God's Country!

A guy on a bike Moderator
    Would this have any effect on chain line? I'm wondering if the little ring is closer to the BB on a triple than it would be in a double?

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    They're more interchangeable than you'd think. I think if you want 22/36 just get the double because the shift ramps are engineered to match up better and shifts better. I chose triple so I could have 22/33. The chainline spacing is not that different. Just adjust the front derailleur to compensate. The BB also has 3 spacers to help with the chainline. I rode klondike bluffs and slickrock trail this week and I think this crankset rules! No missed shifts at all and power is getting to the ground making my enduro climb better and 1/4lb lighter bike.