mtbr member
    Apr 2009

Unable to put air in my MC 3.3

So I bought a bike that has a Rockshox MC 3.3 rear shock. At first it would only get about 25mm of travel although it was supposed to be getting 50mm. I tried everything and worked with the shop and nothing worked so we returned it for warranty service. I have it back and it's on the bike but I can't get air into it. I have tried 3 pumps and none have a center post long enough to depress the schrader valve on the shock. Rockshox has said to go through the dealer, but I've already lost weeks of riding getting it serviced and wondered if there is a particular fix for this issue or if there is a specific shock pump that should be used. I'm really frustrated!

mtbr member
    Hmm odd.... So you screw the pump on and it doesn't inflate it at all ?

Perhaps the valve core is too tight and not allowing inflation to happen. Do you have a valve core adjuster ?

What might be an idea - use a little pick or something and deflate the shock just by pressing the valve core. Then attach the pump and see if it now inflates.

Let me know how you get on.

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Perhaps the valve core is too tight and not allowing inflation to happen. Do you have a valve core adjuster ?
    This is likely the problem. I've seen this happen with a handful of Monarchs this season, the 6.5x1.5 oem 3.3 Monarch to be specific. Last year many of the valves leaked, and this year the core is over-torqued causing the pump to either not read, or not inflate (same cause). The easiest fix is to deflate the shock, loosen the valve core with the proper valve core removal tool, and reinstall it to a slightly-passed-snug tightness. The pump should read and inflate afterwards. Ride and enjoy.

mtbr member
    Had that problem too - one was too tight the other too loose on my Monarchs 4.2

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Wow! After asking around, calling Rockshox, taking the bike to the LBS, the only advice I had received was to get a new pump. I even specifically asked about how to get the valve core to be further out so the pump could engage it. I let out all the air and had found only 1 pump that could get air back in but it belonged to the guy at the shop and no one sells that pump around here. I'll get a core removal tool and report back. Thanks!

Legend
    Nov 2004
    Don't bother buying one, just go to a shop that sells car tires and ask if you can borrow it; you'll likely never use one again (unless you're like me, I deflate my friend's tires by taking out the cores so they can't reinflate them).

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Well, I bought one today for $2. Now I can get air in, but I can't get it to stay in. With 3 different shock pumps I air it up and then watch it slowly lose pressure. If I get on the bike, it loses all semblance of pressure. I have no idea if this was a prior issue because I couldn't even get air in the shock. I'm so frustrated! I would have thought that when we sent it back for warranty service it would have returned in good working order. Not so...I'm not yelling at RS or anything but it's so frustrating that I have had the bike since may and have only had two actual rides because the shock won't work properly. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Sounds like the core is now too loose and is letting the air back out....

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Tightened it up and it seems to be holding now. I was able to set the sag. I'll check it again tonight and see how it's holding. It's strange...I can build a frame up completely, press in my own headsets, etc., but a valve core throws me. Here's hoping it holds...I've got time to ride this week

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    Just wanted to say thanks. After some trial and error, i have the valve core in and it's holding air. I even got to ride this week and it was great. So thanks again!

mtbr member
    No problem