mtbr member

Type 2 Derailleur "Knocking"

This is a cross-post from the drivetrain thread, but I am posting here to see if anybody can shed any light on the issue.

SRAM type 2 derailleur issues - Page 2 - Mtbr Forums

In summary; the derailleur (X9) worked very well for the first 6-7 rides. However, just yesterday I noticed that at the same point in the suspension travel (~50% of the rear travel) there was a loud knock. Initially I didn't pin it on the derailleur, but after careful checking of everything else, I engaged the cam lock and the knocking could no longer be felt/heard when the rear shock is compressed. When riding along, this knock can be felt through the crank arms and pedals. It is very annoying and loud.

Anybody else having this issue? It seems like a few guys are (see link above). Is this just a warranty replacement issue, or can it be fixed?

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    I am considering a type 2, any resolution for the problem? If you called, how was Sram's CS?

kgm
    mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Chain growth will cause this to some degree, I believe. What frame?

I <3 dirt
    I had this knocking issue on my intense spider 29 and I solved it by adding a set of links. No more knock.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    I tried everything that SRAM recommended to fix this problem, but nothing took care of the problem. So, they sent me a new one. Also, they were worried about the existing chain so they threw in a brand new chain that was an upgrade from the stock one. This is about the 4 very positive experience I have had with their customer service over the last 5 years or so.

Longing for dirt
    Jun 2008
    I'm happy to hear they sent you a new one. I think I was one of the first few people with this issue; the sram cs crew had no idea what I was talking about when I called back in July or August.

Let us know if the new setup solves the problem on your end.

Mr. Knowitall
    My take on the reason for the knocking is: don't bother.
    Reason: It looks like the cage is flexing a bit when the chain is tightened until you reach the release force for the clutch. That's the knock. First I tried everything, checking shock links etc. When I isolated the clutch, I reassured myself that this is nothing to worry about.

mtbr member
    Nov 2006

SRAM hands on response

SRAM rep came to the shop to give updates and this particular problem was brought up on a new Giant Anthem X with XO type 2 ... initial response was that this is both normal and not adjustable since the clutch is factory sealed ... however I am not thrilled as it feels like the suspension is loose or has a bad bearing.

If I can't get a resolution, I'm going to trade out the type 2 for a standard type 1 and live with a little chain slap ( Has always been a good indicator of how smooth I'm riding anyways)

Reports are that the shimano Plus clutch is both serviceable and not susceptible to this problem.

Pity if they take this stance since the new Gripshift is particularly dreamy

mtbr member
    Experienced the same issue, following all of Sram's diagnostics! Tried chain lengths, long cage, med cage all knocking. This was on a TBLTc. Sram was not very helpful and they damn well know what the problem is...can't tell me they all ride hard-tails!
    So go either with a standard type one and a Bionicon C-guide (very effective guide) or Shimano, which you will have ZERO issues with! It was a $300 mistake that makes a $8,000 bike feel like a Walmart machine, very disappointing. Sram does have great cs, but only if the problem gets fixed.
    My .02!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    XX1 is also a type 2, right? Has anyone used it and have the same issue?

mtbr member
    No knocking with my XX1.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CoppellStereo View Post
    No knocking with my XX1.
    Good to know. I have a set waiting to be installed. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    My brand new short type 2 is knocking on my v10 as well. I can feel it through the whole bike. Ugh!

mtbr member
    May 2005
    Subscribed.

And, just found my knocking XO was loose in the hanger, even after using blue loc-tite during the install. So, check yours, maybe it is loose too.

Also, I agree with whoever said the knocking is a symptom of the derailleur working as designed. However, I do not agree with the design, and hope SRAM improves it in the near future or makes it user adjustable like the shimano.

mtbr member
    Feb 2005
    If that is by design then what a POS. I have a X9 type and the clutch knocks all the time making it sound like a bad bearing the in the bike. If I take the chain of and move the cage front to back it binds and knocks everytime so I don't buy the chain length or cage flex as the cause no matter what SRAM says. I'm going to take mine to my local SRAM dealer and have them warranty it. If they won't or the new one still knocks I'm going to ask for a regular X9, run a bionicon and move on.

mtbr member
    Dec 2004

Xx1 knocking

Quote Originally Posted by Proxyserv View Post
    I am experiencing this knocking on xx1... Fn sux.
    Anyone have any success fixing the issue or only by replacing the derailleur?

mtbr member
    May 2005
    After trying a few different things, this seemed to be the best for stopping the knock:

add one extra link on the chain and increased the B screw so that there is a 13mm large gap between the largest cog on the cassette.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Proxyserv View Post
    thread here: XX1 knocking/clunking