mtbr member
    Apr 2008

New question here. Truvativ Hussefelt Pedal maintenance

Hey guys, I've got a bit of an issue with my pedals. Truvativ claims that these pedals are serviceable, and I can see how they could be serviced. What I want to know is if there is a particular tool to remove the seating washernut so that I can clean and repack the bearings. At the moment, I am having the same issue with these pedals that I am sure others have had.

These are not sealed bearing pedals and are highly prone to dirt, grit, and water. I am at the cracking and popping stage due to the grit in the bearings. Contacting Truvativ has produced nothing but a "'permanent failure" on their side, so I am here to see if you guys can give me any insight.

Thanks,

Wrench
    Last edited by WrenchDevil6; 04-03-2008 at 03:34 PM.

mtbr member
    Can you post pics of where your getting stuck?

mtbr member
    Apr 2008

mtbr member
    Hmm that's a tricky one. I can think that you could possibly get two or four bits of strong steel thin enough to fit into the holes and either weld them together or just use strenght to pull the nut around and unthread it. You'd have to clamp it in a vice so that you could put your strenght into the nut.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Hmm that's a tricky one. I can think that you could possibly get two or four bits of strong steel thin enough to fit into the holes and either weld them together or just use strenght to pull the nut around and unthread it. You'd have to clamp it in a vice so that you could put your strenght into the nut.
    Yeah, I'm a machinist, so making a tool won't be an issue. My main concern is that Truvativ would call this a "serviceable" pedal and not provide any insight, instruction, or tools with which to service it.

mtbr member
    Lol so true - but that's the general bike world in general. Stuff is "serviceable" yeah it is if you've got the uber special tools nobody sells etc... I had a similar problem with my time pedals - they have about 10 little holes you need to insert something into to undo.

Doesnt tell you this on the manual etc.

Hope you can get it apart - but if there are no seals etc is it worth it? Surely the bushing and bearing will be wrecked and will just wear again quickly without seals.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Once I'm able to remove the bearing and service it, it won't be an issue of fashioning a rudimentary seal in order to keep the bulk of water and dirt out of it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    Just to let you guys know, especially if there are those of you that are having this issue, I have sent this problem to Calvin @ Park Tool and the guys at JensonUSA. As I stated, when I attempted to contact Truvativ with this issue their email address kicked back a permanent failure.

I have read of other people having the same issue and giving these pedals some seriously bad reviews. While I feel that SRAM/Truvativ have dropped the ball on the "service" side of these pedals, it is my opinion that these are some aweome pedals and IF I get this issue resolved I will be purchasing more in the future.

As for the time being... I'm designing a tool specifically for this pedal and who knows, maybe I'll get a patent on it and start selling it to those who like these pedals as much as I do.

mtbr member
    That's a bit bad to hear - did you try giving Sram a call? There really helpfull on the phone - not so much emails...

I hope you get it sorted - would be ennoyed if i couldn't get my stuff apart!

Meh.
    Quote Originally Posted by WrenchDevil6
    Just to let you guys know, especially if there are those of you that are having this issue, I have sent this problem to Calvin @ Park Tool and the guys at JensonUSA. As I stated, when I attempted to contact Truvativ with this issue their email address kicked back a permanent failure.

I have read of other people having the same issue and giving these pedals some seriously bad reviews. While I feel that SRAM/Truvativ have dropped the ball on the "service" side of these pedals, it is my opinion that these are some aweome pedals and IF I get this issue resolved I will be purchasing more in the future.

As for the time being... I'm designing a tool specifically for this pedal and who knows, maybe I'll get a patent on it and start selling it to those who like these pedals as much as I do.
    sramusa@sram.com

You can give that one a shot.