mtbr member
    Aug 2017

Thoughts on the new DUB cranks?

As a guy with multiple bikes with bb92, bb30, s24mm and 30mm spindles, a x01 crank, and a race face next sl g4 crank... i was initially impressed that sram was making a system to increase crank compatability... not add to complexity.

The raceface cinch system sold me because it allowed me to invest in a very nice set of cranks, and by only changing spindle length, and possibly getting a new bb, swap my nice cranks from bike to bike.

I was disappointed that the dub does not have removable cranks... so you are stuck with chosing one spindle length. No swapping your xx1 crank from boost to fatty spacing for example.

So although i applaud their overall product, it is frusterating to see yet another spindle standard at 28.99mm...

i guess it is all just business warefare. They want to stay a step ahead of the aftermarket guys. It will be interesting to so how companies like raceface respond...

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    I also know that the raceface spindle mates with the old sram cranks (if you punch out the old spindle), and i bet that compatability will be lost. Haha.

mtbr member
    Honestly, while I do really like SRAM stuff, I'm not impressed or enthused on yet another variation. When your "new standard" is passe' faster than your iPhone, it's a rather disgusting feeling. The notion of "standard" is now simply an excuse for "proprietary marketing". My current bike is a PF30 and my next bike will be either that or a threaded 24mm.
    The member formerly known as Redtires....

mtbr member
    Aug 2017
    Yup, for sure.

My issue is that new bikes will come spec’ed... and then the game continues. It is a money thing. Big business in bikes.

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    I just built up three bikes with SRAM Eagle drivetrains - including GXP cranksets. I'm not excited about having to replace my bulletproof Hope bottom brackets with DUB ones should something go pear-shaped with my cranks. Oh well -- it's probably only a matter of time before Hope comes out with a DUB-compatible BB. I just think SRAM is solving a problem that doesn't really exist and, despite the marketing hype, the real motivation for them was to reduce the number of crankset SKUs they'll need to offer.

In the end it's not that big of a deal but I don't think the world was really clamoring for yet another BB standard. Between GXP and BB30/PF30 there are already enough BB configurations available to fit basically every frame out there.

mtbr member
    For SRAM...by going with one spindle size...it'll cut down production costs. Currently they have the GXP and two different lengths in the 30mm spindle.

Shimano only makes one spindle size.

I'm running GXP cranks on my bikes...and I don't plan on switching them out any time soon. GXP BB's will be available for quite some time.

The DUB cranks have no affect on me.