Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2006

SRAM XX1 cranks and 10 speed

I was wondering if the new XX1 crankset would work with a SRAM 10spd chain and Sram 10spd cassette or would a XX1 Crankset with XX1 chain work with a SRAM 10spd Cassette?

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

I <3 dirt
    I believe SRAM says the xx1 chainring will work with a 10 speed chain. The xx1 chain is slightly narrower so the 10 speed will fit over the teeth without issue.
    Last edited by Ilikemtb999; 10-12-2012 at 06:58 AM.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    Sounds good, would a chain device be required also with the xx1 cranks and 10spd chain or would it not drop a chain like if the cranks were run ith a xx1 chain?

I <3 dirt
    That I don't know. It would depend on your riding style and terrain. I'm sure coupled with a type 2 derailleur it would be pretty good. I wasn't able to get the chain to jump off at all with the full xx1 setup. It's also dead silent.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by VERT1 View Post
    Sounds good, would a chain device be required also with the xx1 cranks and 10spd chain or would it not drop a chain like if the cranks were run ith a xx1 chain?

ilikebmx is right on. The security of the chain on the XX1 setup is a combination of the Type2 rear derailleur AND the taller teeth of the chainring. I think you'd be pretty happy with just having the taller teeth on the front chainring.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Is any shop stocked and selling XX1 yet? October is well underway...

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    They can be ordered from J+B importers (find a shop who works with them). Your guess is as good as mine as to whether it will actually be in stock or not.

I <3 dirt
    Quality has a preorder going for it right now (or did). Nothing has popped up in stock yet.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by wschruba View Post
    They can be ordered from J+B importers (find a shop who works with them). Your guess is as good as mine as to whether it will actually be in stock or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ilikebmx999 View Post
    Quality has a preorder going for it right now (or did). Nothing has popped up in stock yet.
    Same here in EU. I was told the expected availability is around 20th.

Also, on a not so related note, I wasn't able to find out how does the other (the left) grip look like for the XX1 gripshift. There's no need for the bulge, but I'd like to see and feel at least some symmetry there. I'm still deciding between the gripshift and the trigger.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    jensonusa.com has the chainrings listed available on 5th Nov and the cassette listed as 7th Dec....

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Back on topic

Singletrack Magazine | Mountain Bike Olympics. Day Zero

The other good news from this post seems to be that an xx1 spider will fit on non xx1 removeable spider cranks such as x0, the oem carbon arms, x9, aka and maybe one version of the x7 arms as well

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ben_stamp View Post
    The other good news from this post seems to be that an xx1 spider will fit on non xx1 removeable spider cranks such as x0, the oem carbon arms, x9, aka and maybe one version of the x7 arms as well
    Anyone have any info as to whether or not SRAM plans to make the xx1 spider available as a separate piece?

I am not much interested in the 11-speed setup, but fitting a xx1 spider / chainring to my XO cranks would be great for my 1x10 setup assuming that would mean I could ditch my chain guide.

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post
    Anyone have any info as to whether or not SRAM plans to make the xx1 spider available as a separate piece?

I am not much interested in the 11-speed setup, but fitting a xx1 spider / chainring to my XO cranks would be great for my 1x10 setup assuming that would mean I could ditch my chain guide.
    Word on the street is yes they do plan on it.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by AOK View Post

I would expect the aftermarket to offer a spiderless XX1 chainring, which I think would be a more elegant solution than a spider & ring.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I would expect the aftermarket to offer a spiderless XX1 chainring, which I think would be a more elegant solution than a spider & ring.
    That would be cool, but I wonder if SRAM will license the alternating thick/thin chainring design to aftermarket producers. Aftermarket direct mount rings for 1x10 exist now, the advantage of XX1 is the ring design.

metrotuned WoS
    Actually J&B has them listed as "expected 11/30".
    #willofthesun and author of the most viewed MTBR thread: Platform Pedal Shootout

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    Actually J&B has them listed as "expected 11/30".
    11/27 on Chain Reaction.

"Available in October". I really hope they meant this year's October.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    So if anybody really knows if the new XX1 crankset (chainring) would work with a 10spd chain ??

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by SSurblys View Post
    So if anybody really knows if the new XX1 crankset (chainring) would work with a 10spd chain ??
    It does. I stated that above.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    I've got some answers from Competitive cyclist :

"Hopefully I can help demystify the hacking of the XX1 group. The XX1 crank and chain will work as a single-speed or one-by-10 setup. If someone is currently running 9/10 on their bike, the 11-spd chain and crank will work with their cassette and derailleur. This is the ONLY part of the XX1 group that is hackable. The XX1 rear derailleur cannot be used in some fantastical creation of 1-by-whatever that someone thinks it should work with. It won’t work. You can definitely run the a Shimano or a SRAM derailleur with the chain and crank and you shouldn’t have a problem.

With that being said, if someone is using the XX1 crank and chain in a 1-by-9 or 1-by-10 they should consider using a clutch rear derailleur, if they aren’t already. This will give them a more secure setup that the XX1 aims to achieve as a group, without needing a chainguide.

The thing to keep in mind with using the XX1 crankset is that it has to be used with the 11-spd chain. There was talk of using a regular 10-spd chain working, but it is best to stick with the 11-spd for 1-by-whatever or single speed.""

If the crankset works only with the 11 sp. chain, it's not really so cool, cause the 11sp. chain price is totally insane.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by SSurblys View Post

The thing to keep in mind with using the XX1 crankset is that it has to be used with the 11-spd chain. There was talk of using a regular 10-spd chain working, but it is best to stick with the 11-spd for 1-by-whatever or single speed.""

If the crankset works only with the 11 sp. chain, it's not really so cool, cause the 11sp. chain price is totally insane.
    I read that the 11-sp chain has the same inner width as a 10-sp chain. The plates are just a little thinner. If the inner width is the same, then why wouldn't a 10-sp chain work with the XX1 chainring?

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by jabrabu View Post
    I read that the 11-sp chain has the same inner width as a 10-sp chain. The plates are just a little thinner. If the inner width is the same, then why wouldn't a 10-sp chain work with the XX1 chainring?
    Exactly lol. That's why I said a 10 speed chain will work just fine. I heard it straight from a SRAM employee.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Once they come out with X01/X91 or whatever they call the trickle down technology then I'll be in good shape.

- Buy sprider/chainring for my existing X0/XX cranks
    - Buy 11 speed X01/X91 chain, which will be cheaper than XX1 chain
    - Buy 11 speed X01/X91 shifter and derailleur, cheaper of course
    - Buy 11 speed X01/X91 cassette, which will be "normal" vs made out of once piece unicorn tears

So yea, once X01 or X91 whatever they call the trickle down is on the market, and I wear out my current 1x10/2x10 drivetrains, I'm all in. I'll buy it for both the trail 26er and the race 29er.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    I'm not sure the new feehub design lends itself to any other cassette design than the machined-from-one-piece type cassette. There are no splines for the 10 T cog to mount on, so at the very least the smallest cogs would have to be machined from one peice and the rest joined together like the 1080 cassette. All of the torque from the gears get transfered through the cassette up to the 42T cog, then transfered to the freehub. On the XX / XO cassettes, the 11T has splines and transmits torque to the freehub body.
    Also, while 9 and 10 speed chains will fit on the front chain ring, the "wide" teeth will not fit as snug against the outer links of the chain as it would on an 11 speed chain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    I'm imagining a carrier setup or something could be cheaper and heavier. We'll see. Aluminium 42T is what I don't like about this setup and what I don't like about the current XX cassette. Wears out SO fast.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast