Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2007

Noisy Chainring

I setup my bike as 1x10 with Sram XX1 chaining and KMC X10SL chain (and shimano XTR shadow rear der). The chainring/chain interface is making a loud ruckus while pedaling and it appears to be occurring at the release point on the underside of the chainring between the chain and the thicker teeth. Is everyone/anyone noticed a similar noise? Is it my unique setup?
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by onegymrat View Post

Just FYI for those who want to run the XX1 without a Type 2/clutch derailleur, or had skepticism about that, here is my new setup. XX1 (32t) with X.0 10-speed drivetrain, 11-36 cassette, regular X.0 med cage RD. Installed last night and took it out for a ~13 mile loop. Ran through all the bumpy singletracks I could find...zero chain drops! I did my best to make it fail but it worked beautifully. Super happy with this innovation.
    Do you plan to race the RDO? I'm concerned with spinning out on the flats or while descending since the A9RDO is limited to 32 teeth chain ring. Do you have any feedback on that? What about gearing for climbs when your legs are shot such as at the end of a race?

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by schworm View Post
    I setup my bike as 1x10 with Sram XX1 chaining and KMC X10SL chain (and shimano XTR shadow rear der). The chainring/chain interface is making a loud ruckus while pedaling and it appears to be occurring at the release point on the underside of the chainring between the chain and the thicker teeth. Is everyone/anyone noticed a similar noise? Is it my unique setup?
    Thanks!
    Well, I figured it out...I needed I new chain. The other was a bit stretched and was causing the noise. I put a new one on and it sounds normal now.

krj
    mtbr member
    Which tale should i usa ? +2 link like v10 or +4 link like v11 SRAM tale ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    How many links do you have?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    First ride with the 1x10 w/ xx1...not bad!

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by jrange View Post
    First ride with the 1x10 w/ xx1...not bad!
    Got another one converted! :-D Update on my setup: I replaced the 28T bling ring with the 32T sram xx1 ring still no drops but for peace of mind I went with an MRP seat tube mounted guide. Switched the rear cassette to a shimano 12-36 and have managed to climb most of the stuff I need to. Honestly the best thing I've done for my riding hands down was this switch getting away from the 22T front ring!!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Running xx1 crankset with pg-1070 11-36 cassette, x9 type 2 rd, x0 shifter, and 10 spd chain. Chain stays on no problem.

krj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlering View Post
    Running xx1 crankset with pg-1070 11-36 cassette, x9 type 2 rd, x0 shifter, and 10 spd chain. Chain stays on no problem.
    This means that you are not using any chaing guide, isn't it ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by krj View Post
    This means that you are not using any chaing guide, isn't it ?
    Correct, no chain guide. I ride a rigid steel hardtail. So there used to be a lot of chain bounce. In the 20 or so rides with XX1 and the type 2 I've never dropped a chain and chain bounce is essentially gone.

krj
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by singlering View Post
    Correct, no chain guide. I ride a rigid steel hardtail. So there used to be a lot of chain bounce. In the 20 or so rides with XX1 and the type 2 I've never dropped a chain and chain bounce is essentially gone.
    Thanks a lot, I'll follow your set up

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    I'm thinking of getting the xx1 32t crankset and the xx1chain. My current setup is sram pg1030 cassette 11,36, shimano xt shadow plus derraileur, do you guys think this will work?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by jpmc86 View Post
    I'm thinking of getting the xx1 32t crankset and the xx1chain. My current setup is sram pg1030 cassette 11,36, shimano xt shadow plus derraileur, do you guys think this will work?
    Just use a SRAM 10 speed chain.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Awesome! I'll use the 10 speed chain. I'm hoping I wont have to change my RD because the one my bike has is a long cage.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    My setup is very similar and has been working fine without a single dropped chain for several months. I've meaured plate width on 10 speed and XX1 chains and can't find a measurable difference, so I think either will be fine. I'd probably stick with 10 speed as you know it matches the cassette. My XTR Shadow+ derailleur is medium cage, but long cage should work fine. Risk of dropped chains is a bit higher with the longer cage and no clutch to reduce cage movement.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012

SRAM XX1 cranks and 10 speed

Got the bike back today from my lbs. Managed to score a deal on the cranks.
    SRAM XX1 cranks and 10 speed-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21367998087.506283.jpg
    SRAM XX1 cranks and 10 speed-imageuploadedbytapatalk-21367998104.388007.jpg

Will take her out for a spin on the trails Friday and see how she runs. So far noise is down the small amounts of time I rode her on the streets.

Formerly of Kent
    For some reason, the SRAM XX1 fit specifications document is not viewable right now.

Does anyone have the chainline and radius of a BB30 crank with 36t chainring?

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    I'd like to put a 30T XX1 chain ring on an XO crankset. What are the current options?

Is it possible to buy just the SRAM XX1 spider and chain ring? Can you buy an XX1 crankset with a 30T ring? All I can find are XX1 cranksets with 32T rings.

I see that Wolf Tooth Components has the 32T and 34T direct-mount (spiderless) rings available, and should have the 30T available next month. I like that they also have a bash ring that can bolt to these.

Are there any other options out there?

mtbr member
    I'd like to use the XX1 crankset with a 32T MRP Bling Ring, e.thirteen chain guide, and a XX cassette. From the reading I've been doing, it looks like I could make that work or I could just use the ring from the actual XX1 crankset.

Any feedback?

Formerly of Kent
    Why would you do that? Why use a chainguide at all? Why replace a 32t with better retention for one with worse retention?

Basically, you have XO crankarms with a blingring, with none of the XX1 features. I don't get it.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    I'd like to use the XX1 crankset with a 32T MRP Bling Ring, e.thirteen chain guide, and a XX cassette. From the reading I've been doing, it looks like I could make that work or I could just use the ring from the actual XX1 crankset.

Any feedback?
    Why even bother with the XX1 crank if you aren't going to use it's main feature (stepped chainrings)? Doesn't make sense unless you are getting the XX1 crank cheaper than the other options... and in that case just use the XX1 ring included. If you're dead set on a direct mount chainring at least take a look at wolftooth components... you'd get a stepped chainring then. The MRP bling ring makes zero sense to me at this point with better options available... unless you're just looking for color.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    Why even bother with the XX1 crank if you aren't going to use it's main feature (stepped chainrings)? Doesn't make sense unless you are getting the XX1 crank cheaper than the other options... and in that case just use the XX1 ring included. If you're dead set on a direct mount chainring at least take a look at wolftooth components... you'd get a stepped chainring then. The MRP bling ring makes zero sense to me at this point with better options available... unless you're just looking for color.
    Thanks. This is what I need to hear. However, without a Type 2 RD, I don't think I can get rid of chain guide regardless of the stepped chainrings.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by VanillaEps View Post
    Thanks. This is what I need to hear. However, without a Type 2 RD, I don't think I can get rid of chain guide regardless of the stepped chainrings.
    Even if you don't have a type 2 rear der how would a bling ring benefit you? Might as well take the money you saved on the bling ring and put it into an X9 type 2 or XT shadow+ IMO.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by tiflow_21 View Post
    Even if you don't have a type 2 rear der how would a bling ring benefit you? Might as well take the money you saved on the bling ring and put it into an X9 type 2 or XT shadow+ IMO.
    +1 on this.

mtbr member
    So is everyone basically saying, if you go XX1, keep the XX1 front ring and mate it to a type 2 RD and then rid myself of the chain guide?

The only reason I mention the MRP Bling Ring is because right now I am 1x10 using X9 crankset with bling ring and chain guide.

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast