Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
    Great Thread!

I'm gonna be running a XX1 crank with XX1 32 and or 30 T ring with the XX1 chain.
    However , here's were I'm hoping things stay on track.
    I'm running the above as a 10 speed with a Shimano Saint clutch deraileur and a Shimano 11-36 cassette.... For added chain stay ( probably not required) and bash I'm finishing off this drive train with an MRP Micro guide/bash.

From what I've read ( and hope) this should work fine..... Please advise
    Thanks
    Sounds good. I would just use a 10 speed chain.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by azpoolguy View Post
    Sounds good. I would just use a 10 speed chain.
    True a 10 speed chain would work, but I will gain chain retention with the XX1 chain and then I'm sitting pretty if I decide to go full into XX1 cassette and derialuer.....or into some trickle down XO of X9 11 speed components

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Bradical View Post
    True a 10 speed chain would work, but I will gain chain retention with the XX1 chain and then I'm sitting pretty if I decide to go full into XX1 cassette and derialuer.....or into some trickle down XO of X9 11 speed components
    Why would you not get the same chain retention regardless of whether 10 or 11-spd chain? Isn't that all about the teeth on the chain ring?

Fred

mtbr member
    No, the 1 chain is designed to fit with the alternating shaped teeth on the ring. It's not a normal chain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm running a mixed SRAM-Shimano 1x10 with XX1 crankset without problems. Using XO 11-36 cassette, XTR shifters and Shadow+ mech. I've had no chain derailments since adding the XX1 crankset, although I had some on the previous e13 chainring with no guide in spite of the clutch-type mech. Chainring is 32 tooth, but I bought a 28 as well for seriously major climbs and haven't used it yet. Will probably upgrade to full XX1 eventually for the wider gear range, but 32 with 11-36 gets you most places. Don't know if SRAM has a patent on the wide-narrow chainring teeth, but it's such a simple idea for single rings it's a wonder no-one thought of it before.

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    Just a point of clarification: I'm running a 10 speedchain, which has not derailed once from the XX1 chainring. I ride some pretty rough terrain and have completed two 3 hour races with this setup. I measured the 10 speed chain against a new XX1 chain and could not find a measurable difference in width or spacing.

mtbr member
    Jul 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Nole View Post
    Just a point of clarification: I'm running a 10 speedchain, which has not derailed once from the XX1 chainring. I ride some pretty rough terrain and have completed two 3 hour races with this setup. I measured the 10 speed chain against a new XX1 chain and could not find a measurable difference in width or spacing.
    i run the same idea, using xx rear d., 10sp chain and cassette, with xx1 crankset. no problem at all. it just become a single speed gear box afterall.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by hkbugs View Post
    i run the same idea, using xx rear d., 10sp chain and cassette, with xx1 crankset. no problem at all. it just become a single speed gear box afterall.
    That's comforting to hear. I'm about to swap my XX crankset for the XX1 on my hardtail...but keeping my regular 10-speed X.0 medium cage RD (non-type 2). Don't want to buy the type 2 to run this if it's not necessary.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Just changing the crankset to XX1 !?!?

Quote Originally Posted by onegymrat View Post
    That's comforting to hear. I'm about to swap my XX crankset for the XX1 on my hardtail...but keeping my regular 10-speed X.0 medium cage RD (non-type 2). Don't want to buy the type 2 to run this if it's not necessary.
    Okay, to me this would be amazing.

If this can be done and the chain doesn't jump off, then SRAM has done us a kindness. Yes, going all XX1 would be wonderful, but for those that have just made the jump to 1X10 the repeat investment hurts the wallet. The XX cassette is lasting longer than the time it takes for SRAM to come out with the next generation of transmission!

I will continue with my ethirteen guide for now...but a mid season upgrade could be the XX1 crankset, and remove the guide, this puts a smile on me face :-)

Keep this thread alive...more user set ups please, and results....thx

mtbr member
    Apr 2007
    I'm sure my chain staying put is down to a combination of the XX1 chainring and the Shadow+ derailleur, but I was very occasionally dropping the chain before I changed from the E13 single ring to the XX1. There were a couple of places on tracks I rode regularly, usually compressions taken at speed, where I knew the chain would derail every time. It hasn't happened once since I added the XX1 crankset.

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Alright guys I wanted to post my personal experience on here to clarify some questions. I recently installed an xx1 crankset on my cdale rz120, was originally planning on mrp micro chain guide and 28t bling ring with my sram xo non clutch type derailluer. I know a lot of people will probably not see the point in a 1x9 but the area I ride has always been an in between from 32 to 22 front rings so for my riding style it works great. moving on now lol
    I decided to switch to a bb30 BB so the chain guide was out of the equation since I also had no iscg tabs. I figured if the bling ring dropped the chain i could always switch back to the sram chain ring or maybe run a tube mount guide. Rode 7 miles the other day on my local trails and never had one hiccup! Everything from rocky fast single track to mud, to big and small drops, climbs, you name it. Bottomed out my rear suspension countless times. Didn't drop one time! I still had my chain cut to 32-34 as well with a med cage derailluer so there was still some slack that could have been removed as well. Time will tell how well this works but so far has been great with no issue at all.
    So to answer some questions, yes it works with 9 speed chains (ran the stock 32 on a short ride and it worked fine) Apparently MRP's bling ring holds the chain very well without a chain guide or alternating teeth, and no a clutch type rear der. is NOT mandatory. Understand that this is my personal experience on my own bike but I can say that I'm very pleased with how it all worked out :-) Results may vary especially on a hard tail or a bike with a long cage but honestly if you're running a 1x you don't need a long cage in the first place and would be better off switching anyway :-P

Hope this helps some people with their questions regarding compatibilities and such ;-)

mtbr member
    Dec 2004
    Sugarfree- Is there any difference in chainline between the XX1 spider/chainring and the Bling Ring?

krj
    mtbr member
    Could the following set up a good choice :
    XX1 Crank
    XX1 Chain
    1070 Cassette
    X9 Type Mid Cage der

In particolar I'm seating on the fence about the chain is xx1 the best choice or is 10v better for this Frankestein set up ?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    I'm not sure about the chainline I'll check that and report back here in the next day or two when I change my cassette :-) As for the chain I kept my 9 speed chain because i'm not worried about a few extra grams and I also wanted to keep the shift ramps on my current chain as the xx1 doesn't have them and I didn't exactly want to spend $50 on a chain that could possibly not shift right :-P lol
    You could honestly go short cage with a 1x if you wanted since you only have 1 chainring up front just make sure to cut the chain to length with the suspension fully collapsed so you don't run into any issues. I'm only running a med cage because I was running 2x9 with a party crasher before the swap and I'm not going to get a short cage just to have it.
    A short cage would increase the chain tension and help keep it on better most likely but honestly if you're going to buy a new derailluer just get a type 2 in the first place :-/

mtbr member
    For those of you wondering, one of my buddies is running XX1 cranks/ring with 9 spd Shimano chain and a Saint short cage RD. So far no chain loss on the front and shifts great.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    No, the 1 chain is designed to fit with the alternating shaped teeth on the ring. It's not a normal chain.
    It is actually a normal chain with a special coating that is supposed to increase longevity.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Salespunk View Post
    For those of you wondering, one of my buddies is running XX1 cranks/ring with 9 spd Shimano chain and a Saint short cage RD. So far no chain loss on the front and shifts great.
    Just an update on the 9 spd setup for everyone. It does drop on very rocky fast sections of trail, but these are about as severe as you will find. I would not recommend this setup unless you ride smoother areas.

mtbr member
    Just an update on the 9 spd setup for everyone. It does drop on very rocky fast sections of trail, but these are about as severe as you will find. I would not recommend this setup unless you ride smoother areas.
    An MRP AMg guide would help....
    Is the derailuer a clutch type?

mtbr member
    No clutch 9 spd RD's available. He was already running a chainguide 9 spd XTR setup. The idea behind the XX1 crank was to get rid of the guide.

mtbr member

Just FYI for those who want to run the XX1 without a Type 2/clutch derailleur, or had skepticism about that, here is my new setup. XX1 (32t) with X.0 10-speed drivetrain, 11-36 cassette, regular X.0 med cage RD. Installed last night and took it out for a ~13 mile loop. Ran through all the bumpy singletracks I could find...zero chain drops! I did my best to make it fail but it worked beautifully. Super happy with this innovation.

mtbr member
    Sweet! Thanks for the update!

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    I have the exact same xo set up you had and I want to add in the xx1 crank. Did you have to change your chain? What Q factor did you use?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jrange View Post
    I have the exact same xo set up you had and I want to add in the xx1 crank. Did you have to change your chain? What Q factor did you use?
    It was a coin toss but I went with the 168Q. I kept my KMCX10SL 10-speed chain, works perfectly since the 10-speed and 11-speed chains have the same distance between the inner plates. SRAM shaved the outside width, which is the only diff in sizing. I did remove two links to fit the new chainring size (had 39-26 XX crankset previous).

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Theres a lot of variables to take into consideration here like did he properly cut down his chain? what length derailleur is he running? which chain guide? What rear cassette as well as what gear is he in when the chain drops?
    I noticed after i switched from 11-34 to 12-36 that I had a lot more chain slap because on the downhill/flat sections I was forced to use a lower cog hence more extra chain flopping around but if you run a long cage this will only amplify the problem :-P

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    My experience with a XO type 2 medium and also short XO derailleur, XO crank with 28T bling ring, XT 11/34 cassette and KMC chain has not been so great. Works surprising well but when you least expect it you will drop your chain. Sometimes you can ride for hours with no drops, sometimes you will drop your chain 2 or 3 times in a ride. I am going to try the XX1 crankset next to see if that will cure this problem. Based on my experience I find it hard to believe anyone using a non type 2 derailleur is not dropping their chain unless they are riding very smooth trails.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast