Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    I'd recommend a chainguide for full-suspension setups, our new AMg is perfect for use with XX1. It pairs a sturdy upper guide and an integrated bashguard, it lacks a lower retention mechanism - which with XX1 rings and Type2 derailleur is a little excessive.

The narrower Q-factor XX1 cranks do not play well with chain guides in certain configurations - especially as you get into the smaller, 30 and 28t chainrings. The upper guide runs out of room to slide down - inhibited by the crankarm shape.

The normal Q-factor XX1 cranks are compatible with all the guides we've tested so far.

Cheers
    Awesome, thanks for the response.

I have a Zee Shadow+ derailleur and like the idea of an upper chain guide. Would love to lose the roller on the guide bottom, since so far I break those off.
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi
    So are you saying that with your testing you found the chain coming off to be a problem on a XX1 crank with a clutch type rear derailieur ?

I'd recommend a chainguide for full-suspension setups, our new AMg is perfect for use with XX1. It pairs a sturdy upper guide and an integrated bashguard, it lacks a lower retention mechanism - which with XX1 rings and Type2 derailleur is a little excessive.

The narrower Q-factor XX1 cranks do not play well with chain guides in certain configurations - especially as you get into the smaller, 30 and 28t chainrings. The upper guide runs out of room to slide down - inhibited by the crankarm shape.

The normal Q-factor XX1 cranks are compatible with all the guides we've tested so far.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Hi
    So are you saying that with your testing you found the chain coming off to be a problem on a XX1 crank with a clutch type rear derailieur ?
    He does have to sell his product too.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Hi
    So far in my testing (which is with 10-speed and KMC chain) the chain hasn't come off in 261mi. of mixed surface riding on a hardtail - pretty impressive! I have noticed that the teeth have worn to the point where I can pull the chain off the ring with ease - when it was new that was hard to do. So as the chainring wears I think it's retention abilities decrease.

I don't believe I could get away with MY current drivetrain on MY full-suspension bike sans guide. Also, I wouldn't want to run it on an aggressive full-suspension bike without some kind of chainring protection anyway (XX1 chainrings are ~$100) - and the only option there is our XCG product, and if I was gonna run that - I may as well run the upper guide to ensure the chain NEVER comes off (worth it to me for 42 grams). XCG + upper guide = AMg.

XX1 is sweet.

Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Feb 2006
    I have been running a XX1 10 Speed setup without chainguide (XX1 Cranks, X9 Type 2 rear deraileur, PG1090 Chain, Sram XX cassette) on my Trance X29. Whilst I have only taken the bike on 3 rides thus far I have ridden a variety of terrain a well as hitting small jumps and drops. I am pleased to say that I haven't dropped the chain yet and im impressed with its performance.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk 2

Support Pisgah Area Soba
    Quote Originally Posted by ypocat View Post
    not sure I like the left grip not being consistently thick to mirror the shifter side. Probably not, need to try it first, but I'm less inclined now.
    Why not use your own grip? That is what I do for my 9 speed shifters. I cut the rubber grip to the size I want to use and then use wire ties to keep it from moving old school.
    VP Pisgah Area Sorba
    http://www.pisgahareasorba.org/

It's carbon dontcha know.
    I use lockon Oury's cut to size with my 9 speed X.0 grip shifters, haven't had them slip only using a lock ring on the outside.
    Rolling on 29", 650b, 8.3" and 23mm

metrotuned WoS
    Running an XX1 crankset with a 30T MRP podium chairing and have to ride it more to get feedback to post - waiting on a smaller cog. Anyone have a suggestion with what to do with the XX1 spider and chainring combo that came off the crankset?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    Running an XX1 crankset with a 30T MRP podium chairing and have to ride it more to get feedback to post - waiting on a smaller cog. Anyone have a suggestion with what to do with the XX1 spider and chainring combo that came off the crankset?
    Yes PM me I will buy it.

AOK
    mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by illnacord View Post
    Is it a BB30 crank? I would be interested in buying the spider.

Moderator Moderator
    Jan 2004

Can I run the chain/cassette with a non-XX1 crank?

I'm looking to run a non-XX1 crank with an unramped ring, can I put an XX1 chain and cassette on (or just cassette and run a 10 speed chain)?

In other words, is there some way for my to use the cassette/rear derailleur/shifter without the cranks/chainring?

-Walt
    Waltworks Custom Bicycles
    Park City, UT USA
    www.waltworks.com
    waltworks.blogspot.com

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Walt View Post
    I'm looking to run a non-XX1 crank with an unramped ring, can I put an XX1 chain and cassette on (or just cassette and run a 10 speed chain)?

In other words, is there some way for my to use the cassette/rear derailleur/shifter without the cranks/chainring?

-Walt
    Yes that will work.

mtbr member
    Since I've got a bunch of SRAM guys in here - what's the best BB for the XX1 crank?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    Since I've got a bunch of SRAM guys in here - what's the best BB for the XX1 crank?
    What bike are you puting it in ? BB30 or GXP ?

mtbr member
    GXP. Should I buy the regular 30 dollar one or are the ceramics worth it?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by limba View Post
    GXP. Should I buy the regular 30 dollar one or are the ceramics worth it?
    I run big dollar bikes but just use the cheap BB, I have run the ceramic's but the water & dirt can still get in if you ride in the mud alot so I just replace it more often.

mtbr member
    Yeah, that's what I was thinking. I'll start with the cheap one and see how it goes. Thanks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2012
    Does anyone have experience running the XX1 crank with a standard non-clutch type derailleur? I'm running a long cage X0 derailleur that I'm pretty smitten with, and I'm not quite ready to let it go for a type 2 derailleur.

I plan to run the XX1 crank with no guide + long cage standard derailleur. Any thoughts?

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Ben_Im View Post
    Does anyone have experience running the XX1 crank with a standard non-clutch type derailleur? I'm running a long cage X0 derailleur that I'm pretty smitten with, and I'm not quite ready to let it go for a type 2 derailleur.

I plan to run the XX1 crank with no guide + long cage standard derailleur. Any thoughts?
    You will still need a guide without a clutch style rear derailuer.

cheers
    Sep 2010
    Will the new XX1 derailleur work with XX shifter and cass. No say when Chris King will make their new freehub for the XX1. I'm wanting the derailleur for slap reasons. But current setup is XX.
    I may just have to get shifter and derail XX1, but still concerns if XX cass will mate with XX1 derailleur.

Cheers

mtbr member
    Oct 2007

A very fast cat1/pro cx rider ran an xx1 ring(well a prototype ring with same teeth profile on a red crank), 10 speed shifters, 10 speed cassette, and regular Red rear derailleur all season and never dropped a chain without using a guide. Not mtb, but he definitely ran it through its paces.
    After seeing that I'm going to run an xx1 crank with an X0 1x10 setup on my rigid 29er.

mtbr member

I think it will work with just adding the XX1 crank. I think adding the clutch type derailleur adds additional security but I don't think it's absolutely necessary. This might be apple to oranges comparison here but a few years ago I was running an ENO SS crank with a 9 spd cassette, long cage der. (it would be even better with a medium) on a Jet9 with no upper chain keeper. The chain never dropped. So I'm thinking a full XX drivetrain converted with XX1 crank and chain should work just fine.

C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

metrotuned WoS
    1-bar whats the crank arm bolt (M8?) that is holding your ENO crankset on?

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    XO crank, XX1 spider and 36t ring, KMC 10 spd. chain, and SRAM PG-1050 cassette - several hundred miles so far, no issues.
    Where did you buy the xx1 spider?

mtbr member
    Great Thread!

I'm gonna be running a XX1 crank with XX1 32 and or 30 T ring with the XX1 chain.
    However , here's were I'm hoping things stay on track.
    I'm running the above as a 10 speed with a Shimano Saint clutch deraileur and a Shimano 11-36 cassette.... For added chain stay ( probably not required) and bash I'm finishing off this drive train with an MRP Micro guide/bash.

From what I've read ( and hope) this should work fine..... Please advise
    Thanks

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast