Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    42T are alot of teeth to spread out the chain load. I wouldn't be too worried about wearing that out. The SRAM Red cassette is using the same set up with an aluminum low cog, and those are available down to a 23 tooth low cog. The chainring would wear out before the 42T cog. I'm more worried about the 10T wearing out, since it's not replaceable. I tend to wear out the 11T cog on my cassettes when I run 1x9 on a bike.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    Great point! It could be a function of when I use 2x10, I spend a lot of time racing cross chained in the 39/36 and I destroy the 36T ring like that.

I just switched over my "fun" bike to 1x10 with a 30T and the "race" bike is still on XX 2x10, but now with a PG-1070 rear cassette. With the 30T front, I venture to guess I will spend a LOT less time in the 36T because I don't use the full granny that much.

-Tom

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Wondering if the sram 10-speed powerlink / powerlock chain connector is supposed to be used with the xx1 chain, or if they provide a special one for that (which seems more logical ofc). Anyone's got any info on that though?

I <3 dirt
    Quote Originally Posted by ypocat View Post
    Wondering if the sram 10-speed powerlink / powerlock chain connector is supposed to be used with the xx1 chain, or if they provide a special one for that (which seems more logical ofc). Anyone's got any info on that though?
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

No Shades of Gray

SS chain set up

I hear the comments of the xx1 chain lasting longer than regular setups. Does the thought apply to running a SS setup with XX1 crankset?
    I am leaning to a 1090 or even 1070 for a little more material to take the SS torquing a little better. Am I on the right track? If not, what am I missing?

Thanks.
    "Get a bicycle. You will not regret it if you live" -- Mark Twain

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Is there a matching LEFT grip(not shifter) for 1x10 or 1x11 setups that will match the X0, XX, XX1 gripshifter?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    For shits today, we took the spider off an xx1 crank, and it does fit perfectly on an xo crank. We also ran a 10speed chain on the xx1, seems to be just fine.

Question is, when will sram release the spider, hopefully soon.

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    So next question, will the fancy XX1 chain work on the 10 speed cassette? From what I've read the 11 speed chain matches up with the front ring to help prevent chain drop.

If I could run a regular 10 speed cassette/shifter/derailleur, I'd be totally happy to put the XX1 spider on my X0 crank and run a XX1 chain. That way I could get away without a chain guide I've found that I'm VERY satisfied with a 1x10 with a 30T front ring and 11-36 cassette. At least for the SE mountains (North GA/Pisgah/etc)

-Tom

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Or, is the width of the cogs on the 10sp the same as the 11sp or not? If width is different but cog spacing is the same... its conceivable that one could run the new type RD and use limiting screws to keep to 10. Depends on cog spacing and respective throw from the RD.

Ill go toy around at the shop in a bit and find out.

CAMBr Trail Crew
    [QUOTE=rodeoj;9915293

Ill go toy around at the shop in a bit and find out.[/QUOTE]

Pics! Pics! Pics!

mtbr member
    May 2009
    the xx1 spider that fit on an XO crank, was it a gxp crank or a bb30 ?

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by sethic View Post
    Is there a matching LEFT grip(not shifter) for 1x10 or 1x11 setups that will match the X0, XX, XX1 gripshifter?
    not sure I like the left grip not being consistently thick to mirror the shifter side. Probably not, need to try it first, but I'm less inclined now.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SRAM XX1 cranks and 10 speed-xx1-gripshift-both.jpg  

mtbr member
    Dec 2011
    @ypocat, do you know whats the model name of the matching left grip? I've been trying to find where to buy it online but can't find it anywhere. Thanks!!

What It Be ?
    I assume with the 11/10 speed chain being narrower a 9 speed would work just fine? Thinking of picking up a set of the xx1 cranks for my 1x9.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by hellobennguyen View Post
    @ypocat, do you know whats the model name of the matching left grip? I've been trying to find where to buy it online but can't find it anywhere. Thanks!!
    The grips come with the shifters. I imagine replacement grips will be available soon enough.

mtbr member
    Sep 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by kdiddy View Post
    The grips come with the shifters. I imagine replacement grips will be available soon enough.
    Yep that's a single package only. At least that's what the shop says. I still haven't got mine (already got the cassette and rear derailleur fitted on my bike). Talk about distributor / channel fiasco. Everything points to January now.

But I really can't imagine having asymmetric bar - one side thicker than the other - so I'll start with the trigger shifter and see if I stick with it. I've been always a gripshift guy though.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    XO crank, XX1 spider and 36t ring, KMC 10 spd. chain, and SRAM PG-1050 cassette - several hundred miles so far, no issues.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP
    TECH QUESTIONS HERE: INFO@MRPBIKE.COM

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by NoahColorado View Post
    XO crank, XX1 spider and 36t ring, KMC 10 spd. chain, and SRAM PG-1050 cassette - several hundred miles so far, no issues.
    What rear mech are you running? I'm interested to see if there are any dropped chain issues with older x0 or XX non clutch type rear deraileurs.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    X9 Type 2, short cage. My guess would be that a Shadow + or Type 2 is required for this setup - I don't think a standard derailleur would keep the chain on the teeth.
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by linerider View Post
    I hear the comments of the xx1 chain lasting longer than regular setups. Does the thought apply to running a SS setup with XX1 crankset?
    I am leaning to a 1090 or even 1070 for a little more material to take the SS torquing a little better. Am I on the right track? If not, what am I missing?

Thanks.
    No. Using an XX1 crank or ring for singlespeed is a waste. Use a plain chainring without shift ramps or any special profiling. This will be 3/32 or 1/8 thick.

Use 1/8" wide chain. The bushed area of the inner side plate that bears on the pins is generally wider, increasing life over narrower chain. Also, the rollers are in much more contact area with the sprockets, which arguably reduces wear on them as well. However, the main reason to use 1/8 chain is because it is extremely cheap. You could buy ten singlespeed chains for one XX1 chain.

Don't use single sprockets from cassettes either. Some frames have enough flex that a chain tensioned on the tight side could still jump off the sprocket under very rough pedaling. Use cheap singlespeed sprockets with full height teeth.

XX1 rings were designed to retain the chain when there is variable chainline and variable chain tension, as occurs with derailleur gears. Singlespeed does not have these problems, and wide chains on wide rings have perfect chain retention unless the chain is very very loose. Loose enough that it was never properly tensioned to start with. You could tension a new singlespeed chain, and blow it through 1% wear without ever retensioning it, and not drop your chain.

Quote Originally Posted by rodeoj View Post
    Or, is the width of the cogs on the 10sp the same as the 11sp or not? If width is different but cog spacing is the same... its conceivable that one could run the new type RD and use limiting screws to keep to 10. Depends on cog spacing and respective throw from the RD.

Ill go toy around at the shop in a bit and find out.
    I believe both spacing and width are different. I also believe the shift ratio of the RD is different, so you can't use it in a 10 speed system. I also don't know why you would want to do this. The derailleur is huge and expensive and we have plenty of ten speed options with Type 2 or Shadow Plus.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Ok I have just been for a 2 1/2 hour ride with my Jet9 RDO with full XX1 set up, But took the wheel with the XX1 cassette off & fitted the wheel with the 10 speed casette on it gave it a small tune & went out for my ride.

Here is how it went.

Shifter Rear cog
    1st 1st = mint
    2nd 2nd = mint
    3rd 3rd = mint
    4th 4th = mint
    5th 5th = mint
    6th 6th = mint
    7th 7th = mint
    8th 8th = mint
    9th 9th = mint
    10th 10th = clicking & not changing down
    11th 10th = mint

So is well usable & can work well, not perfect but for those that want to build a XX1 bike but cant get the free hub yet, short term you can get away with running the 10 speed cassette.

I hope this helps someone.

mtbr member
    Anyone using the XX1 cranks with a MRP style guide? I understand that the chainring is designed to keep the chain from dropping, but having the protection of the taco guard is what I am after. I also noticed that on the XX1 cranks the Q-factor is narrower than the XO and X9 cranks. Will that affect chainguide set-up?
    "Mi amor Nuevo Miércoles!"

-cabra cadabra

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    Anyone using the XX1 cranks with a MRP style guide? I understand that the chainring is designed to keep the chain from dropping, but having the protection of the taco guard is what I am after. I also noticed that on the XX1 cranks the Q-factor is narrower than the XO and X9 cranks. Will that affect chainguide set-up?
    Hi
    If you are running a Type 2 rear derailieur you really don't need the chain guide.

There is to options for Q factor but the chain ring is in the same place for both.

mtbr member
    I can't be bothered to give everyone rep but good thread guys.

GUIDANCE COUNSELOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Calhoun View Post
    I'd recommend a chainguide for full-suspension setups, our new AMg is perfect for use with XX1. It pairs a sturdy upper guide and an integrated bashguard, it lacks a lower retention mechanism - which with XX1 rings and Type2 derailleur is a little excessive.

The narrower Q-factor XX1 cranks do not play well with chain guides in certain configurations - especially as you get into the smaller, 30 and 28t chainrings. The upper guide runs out of room to slide down - inhibited by the crankarm shape.

The normal Q-factor XX1 cranks are compatible with all the guides we've tested so far.

Cheers
    NOAH SEARS
    MRP

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast