mtbr member
    Mar 2004

SRAM XX crank and Chris King BB

Does it work?

I've got the bottom bracket and thinking of a SRAM XX 42:28 crankset and am not sure if the two are compatible.

Warrior's Society
    You have to make sure that you have the King BB made for SRAM......

COMPATIBILITY
    We offer our bottom bracket cups in combination with a plastic center sleeve and three anodized 2.5mm chainline spacers for 24mm crank axle systems such as Shimano Hollowtech II. Only 108 grams

New for 2010 is the SRAM-compatible 24mm stepped axle configuration. The stepped axle Chris King bottom bracket makes use of a fit kit to match the crank axle to our standard cups and bearings but without use of chainline spacers. 125 grams.
    I crashed hard enough on my Tallboy to break my leg,
    The carbon is way more durable than most people.

Monkey Wrench
    Dec 2005
    Works fine. We've set up several pair (including my own) at the shop...
    You definitely need the GXP version of the King BB, or the GXP adapter kit (which works on the original King BB).
    Let me fix your bike @ ordinarybicycle.net in Louisville, CO

ewh
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by vwvoodoo
    Works fine. We've set up several pair (including my own) at the shop...
    You definitely need the GXP version of the King BB, or the GXP adapter kit (which works on the original King BB).
    Does CK include 3 spacers to take away the gap between the DS crank spider and the BB cup or are you guys dealing with this gap somehow? (it obviously bugs me! ) Thanks.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Yes they do. My set up has the four supplied spacers and the spring washer (also supplied) fitted, and this take the the room between the drive side cup and crank (i.e. no more odd looking gap between cup and crank)- the gap threw me as well when i first noticed it when using a GXP BB...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004

4 Spacers with King BB and SRAM XX chainline?

Quote Originally Posted by bobsouth
    My set up has the four supplied spacers and the spring washer (also supplied) fitted, and this take the the room between the drive side cup and crank (i.e. no more odd looking gap between cup and crank)- the gap threw me as well when i first noticed it when using a GXP BB...
    This thread was relevant so I thought I revive it and post a new question:

If you use the four black spacers (8 pictured) on the drive side + the spring washer, does it mess up the 49.5mm chainline that is spec'd for SRAM XX?

Just to be clear, I am trying to use a King BB on a 73mm bottom bracket with a new SRAM XX crankset. Thanks.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails SRAM XX crank and Chris King BB-king-bb-fit-kit.jpg  

Eat Food. Chop Wood. Ride Bike.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave in Driggs
    This thread was relevant so I thought I revive it and post a new question:

If you use the four black spacers (8 pictured) on the drive side + the spring washer, does it mess up the 49.5mm chainline that is spec'd for SRAM XX?

Just to be clear, I am trying to use a King BB on a 73mm bottom bracket with a new SRAM XX crankset. Thanks.

HI-

Does not seem to mess around with the chain line. I didn't need to re-adjust the front mech after installing mine.

Just use 4 of the 8 crank spindle spacers (Interestingly I only got 4 with my BB). The included instructions that describe the process of assessing the spacer requirements work well. They tell you to install the cranks without the plastic (delrin??) inserts at the bearing interface and see if you can see the sleeve (that you place on the splined part of the spindle) through the non-drive side bearing...If there is 1mm or less visible your good to reinstall the plastic shims and install the crank to correct torque (this is from memory, I don't have the instructions to hand).

You need to install into a 73mm BB without the addition of the spacers on the BB cups. I'm running XX on one bike with a 73mm and one with 68mm BB and both work well and both require 4 of the black spacers next to the spring washer. You can then adjust for bearing play after the first few rides with the thinner white plastic spacers (if required, I've got 1500km on my BB and this has not been needed).

Cheers

B

ewh
    mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by bobsouth
    HI-

Does not seem to mess around with the chain line. I didn't need to re-adjust the front mech after installing mine.

Just use 4 of the 8 crank spindle spacers (Interestingly I only got 4 with my BB). The included instructions that describe the process of assessing the spacer requirements work well. They tell you to install the cranks without the plastic (delrin??) inserts at the bearing interface and see if you can see the sleeve (that you place on the splined part of the spindle) through the non-drive side bearing...If there is 1mm or less visible your good to reinstall the plastic shims and install the crank to correct torque (this is from memory, I don't have the instructions to hand).

You need to install into a 73mm BB without the addition of the spacers on the BB cups. I'm running XX on one bike with a 73mm and one with 68mm BB and both work well and both require 4 of the black spacers next to the spring washer. You can then adjust for bearing play after the first few rides with the thinner white plastic spacers (if required, I've got 1500km on my BB and this has not been needed).

Cheers

B
    I used 2, 2.5mm BB spacers on an IF Deluxe with 68 shell to get to 73 then used the spring washer and 4 black spacers on the DS and the silver spacer on the NDS and was good to go with a small FD adjustment. Runs really well.