mtbr member
    Sep 2009

SRAM XX Cassette Creaking

So had a terrible creak and thinking I finally found it in the XX cassette. On my carbon hardtail it just seemed to amplify too. I had tightened crank bolts, ring bolts, change wheels (moving the cassette), checked skewers....all the normal suspects.

Today I changed it to a new XO cassette and first ride the creaking has gone away. Has anyone else experienced this creaking with an XX cassette?? The noise was killing me but I just hate to ditch this nice cassette that is uber expensive. It's got miles left in it.

mtbr member
    I'm experiencing it now. Very annoying. It sounds like my bike is going to crack.

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Guys,

If you have not already, try some copper grease (Ti Prep) on the splines of the freehub body. Stopped the creaking that my XX cassettes were making and I do this as a matter of course now...

mtbr member
    Thanks, I'll give that a try. I have to change my free hub on my Crests. I had a 1050? cassette on there and it chewed holes in the freehub. So I went for the XX and it creaks. Not impressed by SRAM products.

mtbr member
    For future reference, I have had this same type of problem on my Giant Reign. Horrible creaking coming from some where when I torque on the pedals uphill. Before I finally fixed it, I replaced all rear susp. bearings, the press fit BB, the crankset, the wheelset (unrelated) and a few torn out hairs. The other day I found an old shimano cassette in my parts bin and swapped it out.

After three years of creaking, it is gone. Up until this time I had been running sram x9 red 9 speed cassettes the whole time. You will notice on the lockring it states torque to 40 Nm. This is 350 inch lbs of torque. ( a lot)

I swapped back the sram cassette, reefed on the lockring, and the noise is GONE!
    I have never tightened my lockrings that tight and before this bike, never had a problem. I guess the Sram Cassettes creak when they aren't torqued to spec. Time to go buy a ft lb Harbour freight torque wrench to go with my 20-200 inch lb one.