Mtbr's 2016 Winter Biking GearReviews and Roundups

FAT BIKES

WINTER APPAREL

TRAINERS

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jan 2008

SRAM XO shifter difficulties

I just dissasembeled my XO shifter to replace the cable, and the springs popped out of place. The screw on the carbon side of the shifter wouldnt come off so I had to remove the cover on the oppostie side aswell. I found out what the carbon side spring setup should look like by removing the carbon cover on the other shifter, but I couldnt manage to get underneath the bottom cover to get a peek at that. Im not sure how the lower/non carbon side spring should sit, or how I should reassemble it. Let me know if you guys have any solutions/picures for my problem. Thanks

mtbr member
    Every so often I see these threads come up where someone has disassembled their Sram shifter. My buddy took his apart one night at work and it took four of us working at it for two nights before we got it back together and shifting right. He took the other one apart to see how the parts were supposed to go so we then had two to fix. The first one took forever. The second maybe five minutes. This was over a year ago so I can't really help you but I do feel your pain. I will never disassemble the bottom unless absolutely necessary.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    Based on the frequency of this topic I would like to see detailed schematics of the trigger shifter so they can be properly self serviced. I have found nothing on SRAM's website.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

No good send it in

I just spoke to "technical service" at SRAM for this same issue. They recomended that I take it to a local shop to send into SRAM. The person I spoke to was not willing to help me out over the phone, which is disappointing as I feel that this is something they could have worked with me over the phone on.
    Last edited by santa_cruzer; 01-30-2008 at 03:28 PM.

mtbr member
    It' s a piece of cake - i took mine apart in about 10 mins.

To be honnest as i discovered theres not alot to service, all you can do is clean them out and put fresh grease in them however i did find this made a hell of a difference. Mine where full of sh!t but i have used them for nearly 3 years now.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    It' s a piece of cake - i took mine apart in about 10 mins

Uhhh OK, great but not sure how that answers this:

Let me know if you guys have any solutions/picures for my problem.
    Now if you want to take it apart again and photo document the rebuild process that would be helpful.

mtbr member
    Sure Ok.

Which shifter front or rear?

mtbr member
    Mar 2005
    I had issues with my rear shifter.
    Specifically the bottom assembly came undone (my fault, I admit that freely) and I was unable to get get the spring back in correctly.

mtbr member
    What spring in the bottom assembly?

When you remove the cover you have a spring atop the cable puller. If you remove the upshift lever like i've done you have the inner gear workings and as far as i can see there is no spring.

Gimme a min - gonna go get the exploded diagram i have....

mtbr member
    Ok so here we have the much longed after exploded diagram of the trigger. Parts 7 apparently are labeled as the X0 Service kit. This includes new bearings and body seals.

On both of my shifters i removed the levers, and found they were caked with mud - cleaned them and what a difference it made. More on the point i have removed the lever, removed the top and lifted the whole body out before.

I can take some shots of my shifters if it helps - what bit EXACTLY are you having trouble with?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Am I crazy?
    May 2007
    Good Lord!!!

Now I am not sure I would even try to change my shifter cable

The top cover has to come off to change the cable?

mtbr member
    Yeah but its a piece of cake to do. Takes me two minutes...

Am I crazy?
    May 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    Yeah but its a piece of cake to do. Takes me two minutes...
    Do tell... PM me if necessary, didn't mean to jump in on the thread... Thx...

mtbr member
    Well you unscrew the top cover, remove the cover.

Push the cable out of the cable holder and insert the new cable. Push it all the way through. Put cover back on.

Done.

mtbr member
    Mar 2005

you rock

Tiffster,
    Thank you very much. I appreciate your willingness to help.

My mistake was using the allen bolt on the lower assembly, which I thought was necessary to remove the top cover. I think the "spring" on the lower assembly I was referring to, can be seen in the exploded diagram you posted at the bottom of the main shifter body (just above the first part labled "7").

You are 100% right that changing the cable (when done correctly) is a cinch!

mtbr member
    No problem

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I removed the allen bolt on the lower assembly too. Holy ****!
    I can't get the lower lever to return to its normal position after I've shifted.
    Unless someone has a great tip I'm taking it to the shop. I spent hours today aking it apart and putting it back together.

mtbr member
    I never understood this - is it only obvious to me that you remove the top cover instead of the bottom allen key fitting?

Anyway you have probably not located the return spring correctly.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Really?

mtbr member
    Yup, i'd imagine there will be some sorta spring which will push the lever back to its neutral position or something.

If it's that hard to put it back together give Sram a call - explain and you maybe could send it in for one of them to have a look at. Dunno if they'd do that though.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by t-jib
    I removed the allen bolt on the lower assembly too. Holy ****!
    I can't get the lower lever to return to its normal position after I've shifted.
    Unless someone has a great tip I'm taking it to the shop. I spent hours today aking it apart and putting it back together.
    Make sure you haven't over tighten the "wing nut" on the carbon/top cover.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    T-jib,

i did the same thing and removed the 2 small allen bolts on the bottom...did you end up getting your shifter to work right again? if so, can you describe the process? I didn't fully take the bottom cover off, but it was loose...I can get the rear der. lever (large silver one) to "return" back to its normal position after the shift....

Regis

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffster
    On both of my shifters i removed the levers, and found they were caked with mud - cleaned them and what a difference it made. More on the point i have removed the lever, removed the top and lifted the whole body out before.

Tiffster (or anyone),

Do you think it's ok or worthwhile to spray a degreaser like Finish Line Speed Degreaser (the stuff sprays on and takes the gunk off, and the solvent just evaporates) when you take the top cover off to change the cable? Your comment about the gunk build up made me wonder if this would be a happy medium between doing nothing and taking the whole thing apart. If so, would you just apply some thin layer of grease with a finger in the body since the degreaser would strip out everything?

mtbr member
    NO!

Dont spray degreaser in there what ever you do.

There are actually bearings in the shifter, so you'll strip the grease out of it. And you'd stip the grease of the mechanism and unless you really took the whole thing apart it would be running bare.

I just cleaned muck out from the underside of the lever between it and the body, there was a build up there and around the seals. Just whipe it off - thats it.

mtbr member
    Aug 2008
    I've had to do this twice in one year. The culprit is always mud. It gets in and freezes the lever against the bushings. changing cables are easy just as long as you only take the top part off. Finally gave up on these shifters as it takes me a whole day sometimes to figure out how to put things back together again. downgraded to x7's which i think uses bearings instead of bushings. living with them for now. the hassle makes me think of going back to shimano after being a loyal sram user of more than 6 years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast