Thread: SRAM Eagle

mtbr member

SRAM Eagle

So yesterday I rode with a guy that had Eagle on a 27.5" bike, and when in the 50t in back I noticed the bottom of the derailleur was almost in-line with the rim. I know 26" is left for dead, but I'd love to see a picture of Eagle on a 26" in the 50t to see how low down the derailleur goes, haha!

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    Eagle is between a mid-cage and long-cage derailleur, and seeing as how long cages were used on 26ers with a 3x crank "back in the day" there shouldn't be any issue with clearance as many think.

Was the Eagle rider an industry type or mag tester? QBP won't have Eagle available for another month at a minimum for some parts.

mtbr member
    SRAM Employee. I do freelance video work for them and ride with them weekly. I'll have to take a photo of it, it's hilariously low. Not that it would be much of a problem since it's tucked in so far. But the things I can't photos of...

mtbr member
    When is Eagle to be available for purchase? Jenson online is sold out. Does anyone know where you can get it now?

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Once my X01 cassette wears out I'll definitely upgrade to Eagle.

mtbr member
    Aug 2006
    I ordered one when they were released. I was told August would be the best case scenario. Sram said they were shipping in late July to only a few customers.

mtbr member
    The lucky one's will get it in June, the rest in August.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Does anyone know if it there are any compatibility issues using an Eagle crank/chainring with an existing 11 speed setup ?

One Cog Short
    Quote Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
    Does anyone know if it there are any compatibility issues using an Eagle crank/chainring with an existing 11 speed setup ?
    I'm pretty sure you can...but also have to use new chain.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by PricklyPete View Post
    I'm pretty sure you can...but also have to use new chain.
    Is the Eagle 12 speed chain compatible with 11 speed back end ? I seem to recall reading is wasn't but I may have imagined that or misunderstood.

What's confusing is Sram states the Eagle chainring - "COMPATIBILITY Eagle™ or SRAM 11-speed" but also states "Designed to be used with Eagle™ chain". It's not clear to me if that last bit means Eagle chain is Sram's "preferred" option or it's Eagle chain only. I guess it's the former.

https://www.sram.com/sram/mountain/p...agle-chainring

I also just found this on Bikerumor (under Eagle crank section in the link) - "You can use the new Eagle chainrings on existing SRAM 11-speed GXP cranks, too, with the benefits being quieter operation and improved durability. Because it’s not using the new chain, retention will remain as good as before, no better, no worse.". That appears to suggest 11 speed chain is also compatible with the Eagle chainring.

SRAM Eagle 12-speed mountain bike groups let you soar far and wide - Complete tech overview! - Bikerumor

EDIT -------

Also just spotted this re the Eagle system compatibility regarding an 11 speed chain. Not sure if that applies to the reverse scenario and a 12 speed chain won't work in an 11 speed setup.

"The different chain width and spacing does mean that there’s almost no backwards compatibility with SRAM's 11spd groups though – chainring is the only part that will work with an 11spd chain."

http://www.bikeradar.com/mtb/news/article/sram-12-speed-mtb-eagle-x01-and-xx1-wide-range-drivetrain-first-look-details-and-prices-46690/

Confused

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Quote Originally Posted by avi66 View Post
    Is the Eagle 12 speed chain compatible with 11 speed back end ? I seem to recall reading is wasn't but I may have imagined that or misunderstood.
    Just some further info I received from a SRAM dealer regarding the above.

He said the Eagle 12 speed chainring is backward compatible with an existing 11 speed drive including the 11 speed chain so no need to for a new chain. He also said the Eagle 12 speed chain isn't deemed compatible with an 11 speed drive.

mtbr member
    Jun 2016
    So if you have low derailleur, than you should definitely have tough pulleys with mud extrusion.

mtbr member
    First ride this week and Eagle is amazing!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Feb 2016
    Hi guys, just to check if anyone of you experience this. After adding some miles to my eagle, and most reason one rode under heavy mud, I found that the noise had increase, I couldn't locate if it comes from front or rear but it's a heavy clunking when spinning and back pedaling, like "gonk gonk gonk" I am suspecting it's because the wear of of the front chainring and jockey wheel. But not sure if this is the cause. Will be sending my bike for service and checkout this weekend

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIDE...
    Quote Originally Posted by KaEngineering View Post
    So if you have low derailleur, than you should definitely have tough pulleys with mud extrusion.
    Which pulleys are those...?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Eagle Clutch losing friction

Hi Eagle users,
    Do you know if the Eagle's Type 3 clutch is serviceable?
    My XX1 Eagle RD's clutch has lost some friction, and the chain is now clattering around much more than before.
    Can't find any info on servicing or recourse... Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    There are some instructions out there on the web on how to service clutch derailleurs. The hard part is trying to get the clutch bolt cap off, then adjusting the clutch bolt. I would not use any lubricate on the clutch. You have to remove the spring stop and unwind/rewind the spring.
    If you find it on the web, it will explain everything. Let me look through my notes/manuals for a link.

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    The link is http://bicyclingaustralia.com.au/201 SRAM Type 2 Overhaul.

Ride Fast Take Chances :)
    NOOOOO. There is a pin that you have drill out or it will destroy the main pivot. Other than that its the same.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jet9rdopilot View Post
    The link is http://bicyclingaustralia.com.au/201 SRAM Type 2 Overhaul.
    Many thanks! The Eagle uses a Type 3 clutch. Still can't find any overhaul instructions out there. I'll check with the dealer on warranty claim and update if they can do anything about it..... its only 6 months old....

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Looking for info about eagle compatibility. Can you use a X01 11 speed direct mount crank with an eagle DM chain ring? I want to change over to the eagle with out having to buy a new crank since the current 11 speed is less than a year old. So I am hoping I can just buy an Eagle DM chain ring, RD, chain, shifter and cassette and use it all with the existing crank I have.
    Thanks in advance for any info you have.

Quote Originally Posted by mczen View Post
    Looking for info about eagle compatibility. Can you use a X01 11 speed direct mount crank with an eagle DM chain ring? I want to change over to the eagle with out having to buy a new crank since the current 11 speed is less than a year old. So I am hoping I can just buy an Eagle DM chain ring, RD, chain, shifter and cassette and use it all with the existing crank I have.
    Your cranks will work. The mount interface is identical.

mtbr member
    Jul 2015
    Yes it will work fine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

You can also use your existing crank and 11 speed chainring. They'll work fine with Eagle.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Thank you all for the information! That was exactly what I needed to know. Now if I can pull off carbon wheels and the Eagle upgrade without getting divorced I will be happy!
    Thanks again!!

Thank you all for the information! That was exactly what I needed to know. Now if I can pull off carbon wheels and the Eagle upgrade without getting divorced I will be happy!
    Thanks again!!
    Ibis makes a killer wheelset for the price. Or try to find some 941 if you want big tires.
    Ibis 928 Carbon 29" Wheelset > Components > Wheels > Mountain Wheels | Jenson USA

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    I had a local shop build me up a set of Nox Composites Kitsuma rims with I9 hub for just a hair over $1400. Just spending the left over money from the wedding. She offered to but my Eagle components for me as a wedding gift! Gotta love a girl who understands the passion you have for your hobbies!

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Can I use my XX1 11-speed Chain with Eagle 12 speed drivetrain or do I need an Eagle 12 speed chain?

You absolutely need the eagle chain. 11 speed chain will not work.
    The front rings are all compatible though.

mtbr member
    Sep 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by alexbn921 View Post
    You absolutely need the eagle chain. 11 speed chain will not work.
    The front rings are all compatible though.
    Thanks, yeah found a good website that explained it's the width of the chain that needs to be narrower 5.25mm to work on Eagle/12, as the XX1/11 chain is 5.62mm...

mtbr member
    Sep 2016
    Based on the feedback on this thread, i have just ordered the GX upgrade kit to make my 1x11 GX to the eagle GX. definitely a cheaper option to upgrade and use the existing crank and xd driver than replace everything since the eagle bb is also different.

https://www.bike-components.de/en/SR...-Model-p58999/

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by shawn13 View Post
    definitely a cheaper option to upgrade and use the existing crank and xd driver than replace everything since the eagle bb is also different.
    Not sure where you heard that the Eagle BB is different...the GXP version sure isn't. I'm running a Hope bottom bracket with the GXP conversion kit on two bikes and a standard SRAM GXP Team bb on a third bike.