Thread: Solo Air Blah

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006

Solo Air Blah

Rockshow is making a dumb move making all their 2013 forks solo air. The reason being apparently people couldnt set up dual air. So SRAM decided that all people should be on solo air so the stupid amoung us could figure it out.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Rock Shox has been using dual air for well over 10 years. I think that instead of people not liking it, they are just losing market share to Fox and are trying to get more people interested. I like my dual air SID on the back of my 11 year old bike, but I can see how casual riders would not enjoy figuring out the settings and having to fool with them every time they want to ride. Single air has been working great for Fox for a while now, I am sure it isn't as big of a loss as you feel right now.
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Now broadcasting from CO
    Think the move to solo air on all their forks is great. I hate my dual air Reba and have previously loved two solo air Lefties, and two Foxes. As much as I like tuning my equipment, I like the move by pretty much everyone to factory preset stuff. Fox's CTD damper seem like a fantastic idea. Heck they did it years ago with TALAS. I'd wager most people just pick a negative air pressure and a positive air pressure and stick with it all the time. Solo air just makes that simpler.
    Brought to you by rocks.

SP Singletrack rocks
    Aug 2006
    ugh....

I guess I am the only one who actually does test and tune on my bike? My solo air fox sucks and never had the small bump compliance of my dual air rebas.

mtbr member
    I used to think dual air was great -- until I actually bought one, and then I almost immediately got tired of mucking about with it. Changing the pressure on one side affects the other, and I've heard of at least one person who uses two shock pumps at the same time in order to dial things in. Meh. Too fiddly. I'd rather just ride the bike.

mtbr member
    Fox and Rockshox are both "dumbing down" their forks, Fox using CTD, in order to make the bikes easier to set-up.
    Got to realize that us test/tune guys only make up about 5-10% of their customer base, and we are so tight we wait until crap goes on closeout sale to buy it
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by madsedan View Post
    Fox and Rockshox are both "dumbing down" their forks, Fox using CTD, in order to make the bikes easier to set-up.
    Got to realize that us test/tune guys only make up about 5-10% of their customer base, and we are so tight we wait until crap goes on closeout sale to buy it

I think the reality is Fox and RS design products for Trek and Specialized, not the aftermarket tuner. We'll just never buy enough to make it worth their while; I'd guess the fraction is closer to 0.1% of the customer base.
    The big boys probably want something that doesn't require a half hour of shop wrench's time just to send a bike out on a test ride.

I get that, I really do. My problem is... put it this way: an F1 car requires more tuning than a honda civic. Fine, most drivers don't want to put the time in or have much use for the gains in performance. My bike, however is not utilitarian in any way. If it were, I wouldn't be running suspension. I want to tweak. If they'd make an aftermarket dual air spring, I'd buy several, and be fine with having to buy a fork with a spring I didn't want. Are you listening, rock shox?
    though it's not like there's anywhere else to take my business that has this feature I want. I will say this: Manitou and x-fusion are looking a lot more attractive now; they don't have dual air either, but now that no one does, it's not a selling point.

also, does fox use a solo-air type setup? with a self-setting negative air spring? I thought they used a coil neg.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Due to the small volume of air in the neg chamber, I think it was an issue with reliability. With solo, if there is a small leak say at the seal head it gets refilled by a larger air chamber automatically.

I have both duel and solo, my pressures are equivalent so no issue for me.

I think fox is coil neg.
    lean forward

swb employee
    Dec 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by BushwackerinPA View Post
    Rockshow is making a dumb move making all their 2013 forks solo air. The reason being apparently people couldnt set up dual air. So SRAM decided that all people should be on solo air so the stupid amoung us could figure it out.
    I've used the solo air fork and I have to say that it feels great! The factory settings that we lose for our own tuning are set perfectly so it really does make it easier. Smart move from rockshox! There shocks are always user friendly, this just keeps adding to it. It took me about a half hour to redo the seals on my old sid, maybe now it's goons be faster!