mtbr member

So when will the X91 stuff come out?

I know they just came out with the X01, but do we really have to play this game? Just put out the x91 and x71 and you might rule the MTB drivetrain universe from top to bottom!

I love my XX1, but may vomit if I have to pay to replace that cassette when the time comes due. I'm really hoping that the X91 version will be out by then. Until then, I guess the best thing I can do is to change my chain real often.

mtbr member
    IF they do it,id expect to see something around sea otter. But x91 might be a 10 speed with a slightly larger cog like. 39 or so. X9 is great and i love mine but its on alot of oem bikes and that would require new hubs and such if it were 11 speed and would bring the cost up. I dont think well see 11 speed x9

mtbr member

So when will the X91 stuff come out?

That would be a bummer--I think I'd go to a 1x10 using a wolftooth 42t cog rather than having to keep shelling out for xx1 cassettes.

But with shimano moving to 11 speed for xtr next year, which I think will require a new free hub, seems like most everything will eventually be 11 speed sooner or later.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    My guess it will rather be X1 group, since SRAM already started this as lower than X01 branding for cranks.
    X1 | SRAM Mountain | SRAM

mtbr member
    X91 will come out as soon as they figure out how to make it $10 cheaper than X01.

mtbr member
    The only real expensive thing in XX1 and X01 is the cassette, and my understanding is for the XX1 freehub to work, the cassette pretty much has to be the 1-piece, x-dome style; and there is no cheap way to make that. At least that's what I vaguely remember reading around the webs. Makes sense to me, seeing how much smaller the differences between XX1 and X01 compared to XX and X0, and how 2x10 came out pretty much across the board simultaneously.

If that's the case, it seems pretty short-sighted of Sram to not have an idea how to make a lower-priced cassette before they started. I'm guessing they thought the product would only appeal to "top of the line" types that don't mind paying that kind of money for a cassette.

Seems like the market is ripe for Shimano to steal Sram's lunch on this one, but the big S is sure taking their time. Which makes me think this is a harder engineering problem than we realize.

mtbr member
    Jul 2005
    If you look at the XD driver technical drawings, you can figure out how they could make a 2 pc cassette where the last 3 (10-12-14T) cogs are 1 piece and splined / meshed to the rest of the cassette which could use an aluminum spider like the larger cogs on a 1070 or XT/XTR cassette. The trick would be the tolerances of it all, but I am sure it could work. The question is if the want to canabalize their own sales of XX1 and X01 cassettes to do it, since they seem to be selling as fast as they can make them.

aka 'Grover'
    SRAM only went 11 speed on the road once Shimano decided what the freehub dimensions would be.

To keep costs down on an X91 group the cassette needs to be a conventional design. They'll be able to offer this once they know what Shimano's 11 speed mtb cassette/freehub dimensions are.

mtbr member
    Jan 2014
    Maybe the X91 cassette could be 11-42 so it would be compatible with a standard freewheel?
    2014 Stumpjumper EVO HT

mtbr member
    As much as I'm hoping for a X9 1x setup...my rear wheel is not XD compatible. They are less than six months old...and have no desire to replace them..

A 10 speed 11-42 X9-1 setup would be awesome. I'm sure they would sell them as faster than they can make it.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    SRAM Unveils X01 7-Speed Downhill Mountain Bike Components, X01 10-Speed Upgrade For All!

Xo1 7 and 10 speed. Im betting im dead on with the x91 being wideer range 10 speed

mtbr member
    We'll have to see what the "capacity" of the 10sp X01 RD is. The SRAM 10sp cassettes still only go to 36T.

Maybe we'll get more info during the Taipei Bike Show.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5