mtbr member
    Jul 2006

Snappy Shift Feel

I've always been a Shimano fan and still am I suppose, but recently rode a SRAM bike (X9) and actually enjoyed the crisp snap when shifting the rear DR. Is that from the shifter or from the derailleur, or a magical combination thereof? I think I prefer the thumb push - finger pull Shimano shifter action to the dual-thumb, but that is my dilemma and I certainly am not asking for anyone else's opinion on what they prefer (no desire to start a war here). I am just curious which component drives the snappy shifting feel.

Fred

mtbr member
    Apr 2012
    Mostly the shifter with a bit of derailleur thrown in. The two work as a team; it is impossible to separate the two as SRAM shifters do not work with Shimano derailleurs.

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    SRAM uses a 1:1 ratio which a makes it feel that way. Shimano shifters have more leverage, which makes them easier to push but less snappy feeling. You can read about the 1:1 ratio on the SRAM site. The different ratios for SRAM and shimano is also why the parts are not interchangeable.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    I get that shifter and DR work together and that Shimano and SRAM are incompatible (except fronts, or the SRAM attack line, but I digress...). I was trying to determine if the derailleurs are somehow indexed. If not, then there is no reason a "9spd" rear derailleur would not work with a "10spd" shifter and cassette.

Fred

mtbr member
    Feb 2013
    Wait what? Maybe I'm confused, but that seems like a 100% different question. I have no idea about that combo, the only problem I could see with it would be if the 9spd rear derailleur didn't have enough range of motion... but I couldn't tell you either way maybe you can run that combo. I'm quite sure there's no sort of indexing in the derailleur and that is all in the shifter, which I think is what you are getting at?