mtbr member
    May 2012

SID Dual Air rear shock rebuild - any advice?

This is one of the old circa. 2000 SID rear shocks that they made for the Giant XTC bikes with the NRS suspension system. It was one of the first with a positive and negative air spring system. My particular one is the kind without the rebound adjustment, but I don't know if that matters for the rebuild or not.

The shock is losing air slowly from both the positive and negative air chambers, so I need to rebuild or even replace it. Does anyone know what parts I would need for the rebuild, or any source for rebuild kits or info for this older shock? Any info on suitable replacement shocks?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Riled View Post
    This is one of the old circa. 2000 SID rear shocks that they made for the Giant XTC bikes with the NRS suspension system. It was one of the first with a positive and negative air spring system. My particular one is the kind without the rebound adjustment, but I don't know if that matters for the rebuild or not.

The shock is losing air slowly from both the positive and negative air chambers, so I need to rebuild or even replace it. Does anyone know what parts I would need for the rebuild, or any source for rebuild kits or info for this older shock? Any info on suitable replacement shocks?

Any and all help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!
    Only parts I could find were a 3 pieces kit on eBay that consist in a dust wiper and 2 main body seals, the o-ring and glide ring that separate both air chamber.

I have two of those shock. First was not loosing air, but creaking when extending.

So I open it, clean everything and remove the nitrogen in the IFP and find out the oil inside the piston was disgusting. Like grits and fully opaque black/brown.

So new fork oil in, repressurize with air and use kiddy butter on all seals.

Looks like yours have a leak at the valve core. Should hurt to open the air can, clean and lube and check the valve core and replace if needed.

I made a thread about what I did in the Suspension forum.
    Quote Originally Posted by NicoleB28 View Post
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    I bought one of those kits from an ebay seller, but he doesn't have anything for sale right now. I ride a bike with a 00 SID rear shock that had a blown negative chamber. If you can get one of those kits off of ebay, that is the way to go to repair the shock (SRAM will be of no help as they no longer have parts for us).

Of course, looking at the NRS suspension design, you may actually be able to replace the shock altogether (which was NOT an option for my bike). You would need to get measurements and such to be able to pick out the right one, but the NRS design looks to be a lot more "normal" than my beloved STP200....
    Fat guys need bikes too.

Huckin' trails
    Like I said, you should just check out the valve cores to be sure they are tight. Get a valve core tool, remove air in shock, try to tighten the cores and maybe replace them (you can pull out any valve core from a schrader valve, like an old inner tube or car tire) and re-inflate. See if it work. If not you have either worn out air chamber seals or leaky valve seals. Both can be easily replaced at low cost. You can give me a call about the whole procedure. Just PM me for a number.
    topless. that's what all mtb girls do. we go ride, get topless, have pillow fights in the woods, scissor, then ride home!

Huckin' trails
    Oh, and you can easily get any other air shock in the right eye to eye length and stroke. If you don't want this one anymore, I'll be more than happy to take it

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    I had a similar problem with a SID from around 01-02. Took it apart, cleaned it, bought a valve core replacement kit from an auto shop (came with a removal/installation tool - less than $5 for tool + several cores) and it at least seemed to lessen the problems.

One piece of advice - don't crank down too hard when tightening the cores.

Huckin' trails
    Yup, just make hem thigh. What I did too was unscrew the valve itself from the air can (need to dissemble air can first), clean the threads and the o-ring and put back together with blue loctite.

It's not rocket science at all with that shock. The worst that can happen is you need new o-rings or seal.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll be working on it soon and will post what I find. Also, if I'm able to find a replacement shock I'll PM you about sending you my old one if you want it. I really wish SRAM was more involved in the community; I can't even find a customer support forum on their website. I really suspect that there are shocks that would be identical replacements, but I'm probably not going to spend $100's to find out.

Huckin' trails
    Quote Originally Posted by Riled View Post
    Thanks for all the advice. I'll be working on it soon and will post what I find. Also, if I'm able to find a replacement shock I'll PM you about sending you my old one if you want it. I really wish SRAM was more involved in the community; I can't even find a customer support forum on their website. I really suspect that there are shocks that would be identical replacements, but I'm probably not going to spend $100's to find out.
    Go check out my thread about servicing this shock in the suspension forum, I did the whole write up on how to. And have fun

Don't forget to refer to the RS service manual that I also posted as PDF in the same thread too.

Huckin' trails
    Bump.

So how you did ? What's up now ?

mtbr member
    Feb 2014
    I have a SID XC shock and I need seals but there arenīt replacement parts?
    Could be suitable parts of the service kits of Ario, Bar or MC3 shocks (can rod wiper, can u-cup, etc)?

These shocks are 25 mm (1 ") diameter body too.

No talent hack
    Nov 2010
    Maybe. That is the best I can do on an answer. I know the real SID parts pop up on Ebay from time to, but I don't see any right now. The Ario kit shouldn't be too expensive, so you would just have to buy it and see if it works.

Quote Originally Posted by korreka View Post
    I have a SID XC shock and I need seals but there arenīt replacement parts?
    Could be suitable parts of the service kits of Ario, Bar or MC3 shocks (can rod wiper, can u-cup, etc)?

These shocks are 25 mm (1 ") diameter body too.

Fat guys need bikes too.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

Replacement

Great info in this thread, very helpful!

I have a 2004 Giant NRS with a SID rear shock (does not say XC on it) with a negative air chamber not holding pressure. My shock appears to not be serviceable based on a link within this thread.

Any recommendations for replacement? This appears to be a 6.5" rear shock (eye to eye).