Thread: SID Creaking?

mtbr member
    Mar 2011

SID Creaking?

Anyone else having issues with their 2015/16 SID creaking? I'm on my third one now (the second one was warrantied) and it's the same story...A couple of rides and it's fine, then suddenly it just starts creaking. I've tried all the usual fixes-greased EVERYTHING, made sure everywhere else on the bike was creak free-but it just keep happening.

At this point I'm completely turned off to even getting another one. My local shop (which is about 45 mins away-I live out in the country) has been great about dealing with it, but the fact that I can't seem to get any real fixes to a problem that just shouldn't happen with a brand new product is unacceptable. Not to mention the fact that SRAM doesn't even have an email that I can write to and get some answers. (I understand they want you to go through a dealer as I've worked in shops for a good amount of my cycling lifetime, but that no email is kinda lame).

Anyway, with no end in sight to this problem it looks like I'm going to have to fix it by going with a different brand. Shame because I've ridden RS since the late 90s...

If anyone has any thoughts or solutions, please make them known! Thanks!

mtbr member
    I had issues with the headset on my Top Fuel that sounded like it was coming from the fork. Surprised you're having that many problems with the fork.
    My Team: Feedback Sports Racing

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy0 View Post
    I had issues with the headset on my Top Fuel that sounded like it was coming from the fork. Surprised you're having that many problems with the fork.
    Yeah it's really strange. Like I said in the OP, I've been a long time user of Rock Shox forks and never had any issues like this before. I checked and double checked everything on the bike, and then my mechanic did the same. Finally, he took the fork out of the bike, put it in the stand and flexed it. Sure enough, it creaked. And that was the warrantied fork!

He contacted RS and they (to their credit) sent out a replacement. I haven't got the bike back from the shop yet so I can't say if the new (now 3rd!!!) SID will be fine, but I sure hope so.

SRAM's customer service is really good, but sadly I feel like it's because of situations like this. Hopefully this will be the last time I need to find out how good they are.