mtbr member
    Aug 2013

Should i get the XX brakes over the new XTR M987?

yeah which one is better/lighter?
    i might want to get new Brakes over the Magura MT6 that is on my Epic.
    i have been using the bike from time to time and noticed same thing as my older avidīs on my carve pro i have to pump the brakes to build pressure sure it can be fixed by bleeding the brakes and buy new pads.
    it does brake just fine but not instantly i want brakes tha when i pull the lever it brakes instantly these doesnīt and the handle goes way towards bottom before it brakes, on my avids i almost wnet off the road into a tree last year as there wasnīt enough pressure in the system i get the same feeling over these magura brakes.
    So XX or XTR?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    so what do you think Sram XX or XTR M987?

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    I had nothing but trouble with my XX brakes two seasons ago. They required a bleed after nearly every ride. SRAM sent me two additional sets, all had the same problem after a few rides. I changed to XTRS with very few problems after. Maybe SRAM has fixed this issue with the newer models. To SRAMs credit, the credited my Lbs the cost of the brakes and the shop put on the XTRS at no charge to me. XTRS all the way in my opinion.

11 is one louder than 10
    Shimano brakes are the only way to go right now in my opinion. Flat out awesome.
    "The thing is, Bob, it's not that I'm lazy, it's that I just don't care."

mtbr member
    Just to confirm: you have MT-6s, you're aware that all the problems you're having can be fixed with a bleed, but you don't want to do that. Also, since this is a spec, I'm assuming you bought it from a shop, and that shop is incompetent to let a bike out the door in that condition.
    In other words, what you have is a warranty case, someone will fix it for you for free if you ask them to.

So, between the shimano and avid choices, only an idiot would chose avid. It seems like even sram are just about admitting this since their just-announced brakes don't have the avid name any more and are blatant copies of shimano.

I Tried Them ALL... Moderator
    XTR wins, hands-down. I had all years XX brakes(2009/10/11/12/13) and they simply cannot compare to the Shimanos. The XTR makes no noise, and has tons of power. Modulation is probably NOT as nice as the Avids - but that alone does not make it inferior.
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Well iīm leaning more and more towards the XTRīs my MT 6īs are not working as they should i have to pump up pressure each time i take the bike out and keep doing it to keep the pressure up
    Sure i could bleed them but i have gotten replacement handles/master cylinder so they are as new but squeals like i donīt know what so that is one of many reasons i am thinking of XTR brakes as i do remember having M775 XTīs way back and they were really good then i have had HAYES,AVID (Carve pro) now Magura (epic carbon expert).

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    why are the Sram XXīs so bad??? and how big difference is there between the MT6īs and XT/XTR???

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    I have ordered XTR M987īs i wonīt get them for at least 4 weeks too bad could have sold my Maguras this very week. so here is my new question to those of you who know a bit of everything how much heavier will the new brakes be with ice tech 6 bolt rotors compared to the ones on the bike now? If anyone happens to know that is i have had some difficulties finding a solid weight for the XTR M987 caliper, lever/Cylinder
    Last edited by PekkaS-works; 04-08-2014 at 01:21 PM. Reason: re phrase

mtbr member
    Nov 2005
    weight is listed here though not in the format you're after, good review though Shimano M987 XTR Race mountain bike brake review - BikeRadar

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Joules View Post
    Just to confirm: you have MT-6s, you're aware that all the problems you're having can be fixed with a bleed, but you don't want to do that. Also, since this is a spec, I'm assuming you bought it from a shop, and that shop is incompetent to let a bike out the door in that condition.
    In other words, what you have is a warranty case, someone will fix it for you for free if you ask them to.

So, between the shimano and avid choices, only an idiot would chose avid. It seems like even sram are just about admitting this since their just-announced brakes don't have the avid name any more and are blatant copies of shimano.
    Just to let you know you're a bit wrong this morning when i left for work and pulled the rear brake lever had no effect at all so i pumped the lever fast a few times and got enough pressure to get to work today, new levers/master cylinders has arrived but iīm off to Shimano and XTR brakes because when i want my bike to stop it better stop, i was once almost in a tree because the rear brake had no effect i barely missed the tree since this is the second brake system same issue, i am in no mood to almost stop or not at all, so i have a buyer for the MT6īs and hope they will do better for him than they did for me.

so it isnīt about bleeding it is due to faulty brakes thatīs why Magura re called them and my Epic did unfortunately had faulty brakes ie no pressure and i have ridden it all Winter and when i read about the re call it all made sense why i had less and less pressure.
    Thatīs why iīm buying Shimano

mtbr member
    so, why won't you go with the recall?
    Seems like a waste of money if you will get the problem fixed for free by Magura.

People hate avids but i have not had bad experience with mine. Yes, maybe the lever movement is not as crisp as on the Shimanos but it works and I have strong brakes ever time i pull the lever. And this is on the Juicy Ultimate that people hated the most.

I like the fact that they are 100g lighter than any comparable price shimano system.

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    well i kind of want to have the XTRīs i guess

mtbr member
    Nov 2010
    There is just something nice about NOT wondering if you are actually going to have braking action when you pull the lever. I already have enough grey hair.
    Shimano rules brakes at this point in time IMHO. Enjoy

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Yeah my point exactly the MT&īs might really good but i have had it with breaks not holding pressure, i donīt wanna come down a trail and notice i have no brake power thatīs plain scary man had that once and as mentioned i was coming down the hill and and wanted to brake for the turn and had no rear brake that was scary.
    So hopefully the XTRīs wonīt disappoint me
    i just canīt wait to get those breaks on and pedals then the Epic is as i want it to be pretty light and fast

mtbr member
    Dec 2010

I want to buy a set of light brake system and I was thinking in XX but so far I read al kind of bad things. I can't believe is so freaking bad. For the last 3 years I been running stroker frm HAYES without any problem what's so ever. Apparently I have to stick to them if I want something bullet proof.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

change is good
    Sep 2004

Stay away from XX. You may get lucky and get a decent set that only require periodic bleeds or they can be your worst nightmare or some where in between.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk