mtbr member
    Feb 2008

rs monarch swivel valve loose

ive got a monarch 4.2 that was leaking air and finally has blown. the leak seems to be coming from the swivel valve. i was recommended to tighten it down, as it seems loose. however i dont see the means to do so, and the person who recommended it isnt answering me when i ask about it. can i get any advice? sending it rs isnt something i want to do if i dont have to

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy
    ive got a monarch 4.2 that was leaking air and finally has blown. the leak seems to be coming from the swivel valve. i was recommended to tighten it down, as it seems loose. however i dont see the means to do so, and the person who recommended it isnt answering me when i ask about it. can i get any advice? sending it rs isnt something i want to do if i dont have to
    The person likely doesn't know what they're talking about. What I'm more concerned about is what you mean by "blown"? Does it just no longer hold air for a sustainable ammount of time, or has it lost all rebound damping and floodgate?

If your a competant mechanic with the proper tools, then a service guide for your shock can be found in the service section of the rock shox website. If you're the least bit hesistant after reading the service guide, then I'd recommend sending it to SRAM.

Also, if you're the original owner, the shock is <2 years old, and you have proof of purchase, then you may want to visit your LBS to have a phonecall placed with sram to rule out any potentially problems covered under warranty with your shock.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    for as long as i can remember (i got it used last fall) it has been slowly leaking air. then on a ride recently it lost all air pressure all of the sudden. i can push down on the bike now and hear air wooshing thru the leak. sounds like its coming from the air valve where it connects to the shock body

i looked at the sram site and didnt see anything. i just looked again and found the service manual u speak of. i read it and in the disassembly i see nothing about tightening the valve down. oh well

im not the original owner, so im afraid ill send it to sram and have them charge me $100 for the repair

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    well my lbs said call sram and sram said have my lbs send it out to a service center

Doesnt ride Banshees
    Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy
    for as long as i can remember (i got it used last fall) it has been slowly leaking air. then on a ride recently it lost all air pressure all of the sudden. i can push down on the bike now and hear air wooshing thru the leak. sounds like its coming from the air valve where it connects to the shock body

i looked at the sram site and didnt see anything. i just looked again and found the service manual u speak of. i read it and in the disassembly i see nothing about tightening the valve down. oh well

im not the original owner, so im afraid ill send it to sram and have them charge me $100 for the repair
    My guess is that it's nothing to do with "tightening the swivel valve", but is a bad o-ring(s) within the shock. Since the shock was purchased used and has seen some hours anyway, you should to look into purchasing a service kit for the shock. (That is, if your comfortable with following the service manual and doing it yourself) One could be had for around $40 from your LBS and would actually include a new swivel valve which should remedy any air leaking from that area. If your uncomfortable with the service, then biting the bullet and sending it to SRAM would be the best route. It's quite a bit more money, but the service will be guarenteed, where if you do it at home and its still not fixed, then your out $40 for a service kit ontop of what it'll cost for SRAM to do it.

Service kit

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    i just did some fooling around and its definitely the swivel air valve. when the valve is vertical up the air comes out. when its vertical down it holds air (longer at least). i remember i had it in the up position on my ride when it blew. it is very loose as well

so i see the kit has a new swivel air valve. i watched a monarch service video on youtube and they didnt mention that piece. the service manual has no mention of it either

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Loose swivel valve here also ... did you have any luck learning how to tighten it down?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Weedling
    Loose swivel valve here also ... did you have any luck learning how to tighten it down?
    no, i had to send it in. they gave me a whole new shock for $35

"El Whatever"
    What about opening the air canister and tighten whatever the valve was assembled with??

Maybe disassemble the valve and lube the o-ring?

And finally, just fix it in a convenient position if it doesn't clash with the frame?

I have a Monarch waiting for me at home, I feel competent enough for a rebuild and resolution through my LBS would literally take me months as I work away from home, that's why I'm interested on how to fix this bug if it ever shows up in my shock.
    Check my Site

mtbr member
    May 2016

Swivel Air Valve

Quote Originally Posted by fishywishy View Post
    i just did some fooling around and its definitely the swivel air valve. when the valve is vertical up the air comes out. when its vertical down it holds air (longer at least). i remember i had it in the up position on my ride when it blew. it is very loose as well

so i see the kit has a new swivel air valve. i watched a monarch service video on youtube and they didnt mention that piece. the service manual has no mention of it either
    Had similar issues with my swivel valve. The Shock doesn't hold air and when the swivel valve is pressed you can hear air leaking from the bottom of the swivel valve where it connects to the Shock body. I unscrewed it and checked the rubber seal etc, reconnected it and it still leaked. The thread on the valve isn't great and is the reason for the leak. I unscrewed it again, wrapped a reasonable amount of plumbers tape around the threads, pressed the tape firmly around the thread and carefully screwed it back in. Now it feels tight and holds pressure. Simple and cheap fix. :-)