mtbr member
    Dec 2008

Road shifters for gravel grinder

Wanting to build a cheap gravel grinder using SRAM parts from my mtb.

Running X7 9 speed derailleurs front and back, 11-34, 26-36-48.

Shifting with SRAM X7 triggers but want to replace those with STI/Ergo style levers.

What are my options in SRAM and Shimano?

I <3 dirt
    You'd need to jump up to sram 10 speed to use sram double tap shifters.

For shimano sti levers you'd have to swap out to shimano regardless; either 9 speed or 10.

I'd suggest going with SRAM all the way. I used ultegra Sti levers on my cross bike for about 10 years and when they finally died I stepped it up to sram and it's worlds better. The double tap system is more ergo and easier to use and having fixed brake levers is a huge difference. No more flopping brake levers descending down rough stuff.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

I <3 dirt
    Oh and one more thing;

SRAM mountain and road are cross compatible in 10 speed so you could use a mountain dérailleur to get that extra range (though rival comes in an extended range dérailleur now).

Shimano 10 speed road and mountain is not compatible however 9 speed is.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    Thanks, that makes a lot of sense.

I found this article about a Giro D'italia rider who mixed SRAM mbt-road groups to clear some high passes that illustrates what you said.

Giro d

I <3 dirt
    The SRAM road wifli rear derailleurs are able to accommodate an 11-32t 10 speed cassette or like you found you could use a mountain rear dérailleur and go all the way up to a 36t if you wanted.

Oh and one thing I found out with the road rear derailleurs (which wasn't apparent just looking) was that they don't move forward at the B knuckle like shimano road does (the cable routing made it seem like it might) so you don't get that annoying dérailleur slap into the chain stay with all SRAM derailleurs!
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    THREAD DREDGE!

i have a mtb i am trying to convert to a dropbar 2x10 sram setup. i have rival all around, except i have an x9 2x10 crank. is it supposed to work or do i need to dump some money on a sram 10 speed mtb front mech? i cant seem to get the front mech to push to the outer ring? 68mm shell, 28x42 teeth. i tried to run a cx crank, but it is too tight to the chainstays.

btw, the frame is bottom pull. what kinda mtb front mech would i need? high clamp? low clamp? short, medium or long cage?

I <3 dirt
    You'll need an MTB front derailleur. The chain line is much closer on road/cx as you've found out with trying a road crank.

As for what type it depends on clearance; I usually run low clamp. Obviously a bottom pull if that's what the frame requires.
    WHY ARE YOU YELLING??!1

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    i threw 5mm of spacers on the non-drive side and that might, just might work. moving the mech with my fingers shifted a chain, but it was a 9sp chain. i will attach the shifter tonight and see. really dont wanna get another der.